Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays in the Scottish Highlands

(14 Posts)
boheminan Wed 04-May-16 21:19:50

In a few months time some friends and myself are spending a week in an isolated cottage in the Highlands. The nearest village is Applecross. We're all quite happily anticipating long walks, nights in with a log fire, and a couple or three whiskies, BUT...not knowing the area at all, I wonder if any of you good GN'rs have travelled to (or even live near) the area? Where would you recommend we can go out to visit? Bagpipe or Kilt makers spring to mind! Something a little different from the Edinburgh Woollen Mills..
Any tips gratefully accepted smile

rosesarered Wed 04-May-16 21:25:17

Am sure you will soon have lots of help on this question bo but reading your first sentence I immediately thought of the start of a horror film ( sorry!) So you take care out there.....only go outside at night if there are two of you, and don't drift about wearing only a white lacy gown.

boheminan Wed 04-May-16 22:16:37

Don't worry rosesarered I'm more of a 'onesie' type of galgrin

Marelli Wed 04-May-16 22:16:59

boheminan, it's beautiful there! One thing I remember about it is a VERY steep and winding road that goes for miles and miles. Rally dramatic scenery. From that road you look down to Lochcarron which is at the side of Loch Carron. From Applecross you look over to the Isles of Raasay and Skye. There's a wee pub in Lochcarron, if I remember. smile

Marelli Wed 04-May-16 22:18:47

'REALLY' - not 'rally'! Definitely not the dort of road you'd wish to 'rally' on! grin

Marelli Wed 04-May-16 22:19:42

Crikey - fat fingers tonight - SORT, not DORT!!

boheminan Wed 04-May-16 22:25:21

Thanks Marelli, any wee pub information gratefully acceptedgrin

Daddima Thu 05-May-16 08:47:48

Remember the midge!
I like Mosquito Milk, available online from Chemist Direct. Others swear by Avon Skin So Soft ( the original one)

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 09:00:46

Someone I saw on TV put a pair of tights over their heads.

Alea Thu 05-May-16 09:39:44

Only if you want to be arrested for being a potential bank robber!!!
Befriending a smoker is a good tactic against midges, my father smoked a pipe and on his long walks in the hills, there would be a distinct "No fly zone" around him.

boheminan Thu 05-May-16 09:51:55

We're going in October and have been told midges aren't too busy around that time (by the way I heard somewhere that Marmite is supposed to deter them!)

TriciaF Thu 05-May-16 10:02:23

October should be OK, fingers crossed. We had a camping holiday on Skye once, in August, with our 2 girls, and we were all driven mad by the midges. Had to sleep in the car in the end.
We've been over Applecross way once, just for the day, and it is really beautiful.

annodomini Thu 05-May-16 10:09:55

I tried hanging corks from the brim of my safari hat. They may have deterred the flies in Australia but nothing has much effect on the Scottish midge. boheminan, you should be reasonably safe in October. I can't stand Marmite but do like Vegemite (Marmite with an Australian accent) and I rarely get bitten. Spread it on your toast, not your skin! The problem with midges isn't just the biting but they just get everywhere - eyes, ears, hair - and drive you crazy.

Tizliz Thu 05-May-16 13:13:26

There will be lots of midges this year as the winter was so mild

Go to Cocoa Mountain at Durness for the best hot chocolate ever and see Smoo caves there. Lunch/dinner at Kylsku hotel, won most hospitable hotel of the year and food is lovely. Take a boat trip from there, bit pricey but worth it.

Ullapool has a nice harbour and the best EWM shop ?, probably your nearest supermarket there

Applecross is VERY remote so you will need to plan your days out.