Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey - Again!

(70 Posts)
YankeeGran Wed 15-Oct-14 16:53:24

Have faithfully watched and absolutely loved Downton from the beginning...but is it me or is it all becoming silly? Lady Mary talks as if she has an itch she can't scratch (someone not posh trying to put on a posh accent?), not to mention her unbelievable dithering over the whole marriage question/triangle. Would a woman of her status risk spending a week in a hotel with someone she didn't intend to marry?

Then there's Sarah Bunting. The woman may be challenging the staus quo, but she is so rude it's hard to imagine she'd be invited back once, let alone several times more. She's so unbearable she could almost be American (I know of that which I speak!).

I think Lord Grantham, Lady Grantham and Thomas have already been covered....

Ana Mon 10-Nov-14 11:45:40

Very funny, merlot - although Lord Grantham did actually lose it rather when he caught Cora with that art historian in their boudoir, and slept in his dressing room for ages...wink

Atqui Mon 10-Nov-14 11:38:18

I agree Daffy .Its a bit of harmless soap to sit and escape with.

daffydil Mon 10-Nov-14 10:28:45

I agree with a lot of the criticisms already made. I have watched from the start but now feel that some of the story lines have become too drawn out - the Mr and Mrs Bates involvement or not in the murder seems interminable.
However I do love the costumes and hair do's and regard it now as a sort of posh soap.

merlotgran Mon 10-Nov-14 10:21:55

This gave me a good chuckle

Tegan Mon 10-Nov-14 09:55:02

I watched it last night for the first time since the first series [can't stand all of the adverts] mainly because I saw a clip with the sick dog in it and, much as I love animals I found it incredibly over sentimental [and a bit daft] and I had an urge to watch the programme. I thought the same about Lady Marys accent [I've been watching Made in Chelsea so I know what proper posh is wink]. I did give up part way through, though. Why didn't the evil mother use the divorce card before she used the affair one; didn't make sense to me [although it would have ruined the storyline, I guess]? As the S.O. said as he was [forced into] watching it 'I thought the servants never ever spoke to the family on a personal level' [we were told that at a National Trust property]. How long has Sue Johnston [?]been in the series, by the way?

Charleygirl Mon 10-Nov-14 09:53:30

I personally did not think that this series was as good as others, to me it was a bit predictable.

nightowl Mon 10-Nov-14 09:52:52

I think there was a reference to Isis when Lord Grantham was choosing her memorial stone at the beginning of the episode - which led to him arranging the memorial stone for Mrs Patmore's nephew.

Iam64 Mon 10-Nov-14 09:18:57

Alas poor Isis, he'll be buried somewhere in the grounds no doubt. I wonder if Lord G will have a puppy in the Christmas edition. AND please, no need to remind me that dogs are forever, not just for Christmas…..

Pittcity Mon 10-Nov-14 08:58:29

So many cliffhangers and no mention of Isis???

Iam64 Mon 10-Nov-14 08:52:12

Merlot, I suspect he's perked up a bit, as most of us do after a grumpy day/week or so.

Of course he'll love Edith's child, he loves his own daughters and is a generally kind and accepting sort of chap

best wishes
Pollyanna
grin

Atqui Sun 09-Nov-14 23:04:30

Love it Grumpa

grumppa Sun 09-Nov-14 23:02:28

Why shouldn't a grumpy old git go all dewy eyed over his granddaughter? I might even try it myself some time!

merlotgran Sun 09-Nov-14 22:56:24

Lord Grantham's gone all dewy eyed over his 'secret' grandaughter.

What happened to the grumpy old git at the beginning of the series?

merlotgran Sun 09-Nov-14 22:54:40

We will have to tune in on Christmas Day to find out hmm

Ana Sun 09-Nov-14 22:50:39

It happened so long ago that I can't remember where Anna was (or was supposed to be) on that day, so I'm none the wiser either...confused

One thing's for sure - she wasn't as blonde then as she is now!

ninathenana Sun 09-Nov-14 22:48:09

I read in the paper that we would find out who killed Green (??) tonight. Well the person arrested is innocent according to the rest of the house. So are we to believe they have the right person ?? I was expecting to find out for sure who's guilty. confused

rosequartz Mon 27-Oct-14 18:01:27

The other children in the series seem quite perky, especially little Sybbie, let's hope this child shows a bit of spirit before too long. She looks old enough to spend the night yelling for her 'mummy', so will keep the other guests awake at the hotel.

Not in reality, of course, I wouldn't wish that on the little girl! We just need to see an exhausted Edith in tears trying to cope.
However, I did think that Mrs Drewe has become extraordinarily fond of this child at the expense of her other children who are nowhere to be seen! Perhaps they're all outside eating biscuits.

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 11:28:39

You're right Ana. Maybe Lady Edith got it from the same place Thomas got his 'cure'wink

She's going to need rather a lot of it when she wakes up to the fact that toddlers need to be fed, watered, and have their nappies changed. And no disposables in those days.

Ana Mon 27-Oct-14 10:40:59

Of course not.

In real life Marigold would have had to have been prised away from Mrs Drewe kicking and screaming! As it was, it looked as though she'd been given a rather large dose of Calpol...

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 10:32:36

Sorry it should be Mrs Drewe.

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 10:29:39

It showed who was the 'real' mother. Mrs Dawe trying to make Marigold feel safe as she left, and Edith thinking only of herself sad

You can't just take a baby from its mother and expect her to be 'jolly' Edith! She hasn't a clue.

Jane10 Mon 27-Oct-14 10:17:25

She`s so pathetic and irritating though! She`s not had a very happy life.

tanith Mon 27-Oct-14 10:05:06

Can't see Edith lasting long in sole charge of her child she's going to want a barrage of 'helpers' soon I'm sure but now she's probably a wealthy woman I'm sure she'll manage.

Ana Sun 26-Oct-14 22:24:35

And this week the child had curly hair! And wasn't eating a biscuit!confused

Kiora Sun 26-Oct-14 22:14:35

Yes poor Mrs Dawesad