Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Last Tango in Halifax

(239 Posts)
Agus Sun 28-Dec-14 12:08:02

The next series starts tonight at 9.00 on BBC1

rosequartz Fri 06-Feb-15 10:19:23

Marmight we shall be going cattle class - unless some long-lost millionaire son of DH turns up!
With our plentiful supply of marmite grin

Marmight Thu 05-Feb-15 23:16:55

Thanks Roses. I shall look forward to the next series....it just gets better and better! I didn't see Alan and Celia, but I was only in Business grin

Ana Thu 05-Feb-15 22:51:23

Caroline's house is actually in Altrincham - perhaps some members who live in that area may have spotted it!

rosesarered Thu 05-Feb-15 22:47:44

They say that you should always 'leave them wanting more' so perhaps the story should have run it's course?Of course it could go on... and on but it has to end somewhere.
Wonder if there will be lots of tourists wandering around Halifax?There already are in Harrogate [and always were]. I would prefer Carolines house which looks gorgeous, the farm is a bit of a dump.

rosequartz Thu 05-Feb-15 12:14:06

Sorry, I should have said Spoiler Alert for anyone who has not caught up with the last episode yet!

rosequartz Thu 05-Feb-15 12:00:32

Marmight
The usually immaculate Caroline arrived at the wedding looking like a farmer who had had a bad day mending his tractor. She fell into a pile of manure as well as the dirt from changing the tyre, and to change the tyre she had to jump on the jack to loosen the wheel nuts and broke the heel off her shoe - hilarious. Gillian could have done it without a problem, but Caroline told her she had to stay clean in her wedding dress.

The very young people (Caroline's younger son, his friend and Gary's two daughters) were getting on really well at the reception and there was one very funny shot where they dived through the crowd of guests, whipping glasses of champagne from the waiter. Typical teenagers!

Gillian's son told his 'Uncle Gary' that he was going to university after all and didn't want to work for him, thank you anyway. He proposed to his girlfriend at his mother's wedding (quietly, not in front of everyone).

Presumably for £10,000 they were going to have a proper meal after the champagne, but Caroline went home and there was a rather poignant scene in the car outside the hotel where Kate was in the back seat, Flora in her baby seat in the front, and Kate said she would be 'going'. Caroline talked to the baby and told her she loved her.

Alan and Celia are off to Australia first class - look out for them grin

Gillian and Rob were going to Majorca (avoid if possible [wink)
Caroline was taking the baby to see her other granny in America.

Series 4 has just been announced:
www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-02-02/last-tango-in-halifax-series-four-confirmed

merlotgran Thu 05-Feb-15 10:56:10

Any bets on Gillian being pregnant in the next series?

Who's the Daddy?

Mishap Thu 05-Feb-15 10:46:23

Most of Gillan's revelations involved divesting herself of her knickers! - just so you know Marmight

Greyduster Thu 05-Feb-15 08:49:23

Gillian's! I'd be afraid to sit down at Caroline's.

Leticia Thu 05-Feb-15 07:31:39

It was mainly Gillian's wedding and her doubts. She was running late and she was talking to Caroline-they got a puncture and Caroline had to change the wheel and got filthy. Gillian went through lots of reasons and kept the main one until last- she couldn't tell him that she had killed his brother.She went through with it in the end. Gary upset Alan with his newspaper article and was upsetting them all and paying for everything- including tne wedding. The olive branch was handed out at the end when Alan let him upgrade the seats to Australia. Flora's natural father has taken over the child care when it transpired the nanny had a drink problem.
Lots of strands for another series!

Marmight Thu 05-Feb-15 07:06:44

Not available in Australia hence my request for update!

Leticia Thu 05-Feb-15 06:08:02

You can still watch it on iPlayer.

Marmight Thu 05-Feb-15 04:37:13

I missed the last episode (on a flight to Oz) so can someone fill me in on what happened please!

rubylady Thu 05-Feb-15 04:04:09

I'm sure that Sally Wainwright can still find legs in this wonderful series and bring it us back next year. In Gary alone there is many many ways in which his story can go.

Whose house would you live in? Gillian's or Caroline's?

Greyduster Tue 03-Feb-15 17:14:48

Plus one for Gillian!

KatyK Tue 03-Feb-15 15:02:05

Gillian is great.

Soutra Mon 02-Feb-15 23:21:56

I agree about it looking as if it has been left open for a third series. Good!smile

merlotgran Mon 02-Feb-15 14:26:03

I think there was more than a strong hint last night that Gillian and Rob's marriage won't last. What an oaf he is.

I share John's bewilderment over Greg's popularity. Five minutes with him would drive me MAD.

Plenty of mileage left for another series I think.

absentgrandma Mon 02-Feb-15 14:01:57

David Jacobi is such a superb actor in a beautifully restrained manner. No over-acting or histrionics. I loved his quiet aside when the wedding car got a bust tyre..... 'I knew we should have gone through 'Alifax, instead of over't top.'' I know it was scripted, but he delivers those sort of lines with just the right amount of casualness. He was just the same in 'I,Claudius'.

I think this series has been a joy to watch, a return to the high standard the BBC used to attain. I'm undecided as to another series.... might it go downhill, as in what seems to be the case with Broadchurch?

Ana Mon 02-Feb-15 13:54:32

You're right - I can hardly believe there have been six episodes!

rockgran Mon 02-Feb-15 13:42:01

So sad it's ended. Why is it that the tv series you enjoy disappear in a flash and those you hate go on forever?sad

gillybob Mon 02-Feb-15 12:54:54

Yes lots of loose ends still to be tied up Eloethan. I mean Gillian told John (fab character) that perhaps she had chose the wrong one and then went on to marry Robbie ! Celia did seem to soften a teensy bit but I still don't like her much. Ditto Caroline. Gorgeous Gary seems to be splashing out quite a bit but appeared more genuine last night offering to upgrade flights etc. His wife on the other hand wasn't happy was she?

I am sad that this series has ended. I looked forward to Sunday night (I normally hate them) just to watch it.

Eloethan Mon 02-Feb-15 11:42:49

I think there are quite a lot of loose ends left so hopefully there is room for one more series (I don't think it would be a good idea to go on too long as I've noticed with other series that storylines start to get more and more unbelievable).

I found it quite a tearful night all round last night - orphan animals first, then Call the Midwife (so sad being reminded how homosexuality was treated in those days) and finally, as Greyduster said, the very touching scene towards the end of Last Tango between Caroline, Flora and Kate.

Greyduster Mon 02-Feb-15 11:33:07

I really enjoyed last night's episode; laugh out loud in parts and then, at the end, Caroline and Flora in the car brought tears to my eyes and you have to go some for that to happen to me! I think that to make another series would be rather kicking the a**e out of it now - although I would be happy to sit for hours and watch Derek Jacobi reading the shipping forecast if it meant that he would still be on our screens. Not sure whether they have left a loose end around the old flame from the supermarket ready to be picked up though...

Ariadne Mon 02-Feb-15 11:27:09

I was hoping so much that the wedding would finally go ahead, but the drama leading up to it was great. And isn't John gloriously wet?