Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Broadchurch new series.

(288 Posts)
shysal Mon 05-Jan-15 22:36:52

I remember being unsure at the end of the first series, and I am already slightly confused following tonight's episode. However, I was really looking forward to it, so I hope I shall be able to keep up. I need subtitles to help me!
What did others think of it so far?

rubylady Wed 25-Feb-15 02:24:01

Although the awful beard was not in appearance in that.

rubylady Wed 25-Feb-15 02:23:13

David Tennant seems to like beaches doesn't he? He had a kiss with Rose on a beach in Dr. Who. blush

rubylady Wed 25-Feb-15 02:17:11

rose you said you would let me know what happened? Did you not see the final one? smile

Tegan Tue 24-Feb-15 14:21:43

I think the Miller/Coleman combo would be better suited to a more gentle Cagney and Lacey type police drama. 'The Killing' Scandinavian type approach doesn't work with West Country accents imo.

trisher Tue 24-Feb-15 11:38:11

Well providing you were prepared to suspend all belief in how the judicial system and the police actually work I suppose it was OK. But the holes in it were so huge! Miller magically restored to detective status cos Alex wanted her to sit in on the interview (what happened to traffic cop?). Major suspect in a case refitted floor and got rid of old one and none of the neighbours noticed. Oh it was all so contrived. Sorry don't want another series.

janerowena Tue 24-Feb-15 11:08:56

It was implied that there was a lot of 'petting' going on. Joe said repeatedly that he loved Daniel, Daniel was the only person who really understood him. Daniel wanted to call it off, Joe was very upset, refused to let him go, and Daniel then threatened to tell about the relationship. At one point there was a shot of them talking, from behind, and Daniel was sitting on Joe's lap. All that was in series 1, of course.

TerriBull Tue 24-Feb-15 09:44:47

Coolgran65 - If I remember rightly, the implication was that Joe and Daniel were having a "relationship" although it wasn't clearly defined, Joe was going through a bad time with his own father Mark at the time and had turned to Joe. I believe Daniel taunted Joe and then he strangled him.

appygran Tue 24-Feb-15 09:44:33

But did Joe do it? Jury found him not guilty. Maybe the detectives got it wrong and Joe was covering up for someone else, but who? Could be the central question for series 3. Good drama I really enjoyed it although some scenes were a bit harrowing as Teetime said.

TerriBull Tue 24-Feb-15 09:38:07

Forgot to say I loved the David Tennant and Olivia Coleman pairing so glad they are both coming back in the new series. Yes Teetime as you say it was harrowing in parts.

Coolgran65 Tue 24-Feb-15 09:32:19

Please..someone....
Why did Joe kill Daniel ?

Teetime Tue 24-Feb-15 09:21:28

I agree with you terri although I am rather relived its over for now - a bit harrowing in parts.

TerriBull Tue 24-Feb-15 09:07:12

I enjoyed it, whilst it had lost some of the essence of the first that made it so good, I still think it was highly watchable and would definitely view a third series in the hope that it would be up to par with the original.

PRINTMISS Tue 24-Feb-15 08:34:17

Enjoyed it on the whole, not sure I would want another, and if there was another I would like David Tennant to shave off that awful beard.

Iam64 Tue 24-Feb-15 08:17:47

A great final episode. Bring on Broadchurch 3

Coolgran65 Tue 24-Feb-15 08:17:30

Joe dunnit. Husband of the policewoman. But why?

Lona Tue 24-Feb-15 07:49:10

And who actually cares?

Marelli Tue 24-Feb-15 06:49:36

And who actually dunnit?

Marelli Tue 24-Feb-15 06:48:24

I gave up on it two episodes ago. Who was Joe? confused

Coolgran65 Mon 23-Feb-15 23:35:48

I missed a few minutes. Why did he actually kill Danny ?

Ana Mon 23-Feb-15 22:48:06

There wasn't enough evidence to prove him guilty without a shadow of a doubt, I thought, given all the red herrings being flung about by the defence team and the weaknesses exposed in the prosecution's case.

Mishap Mon 23-Feb-15 22:43:42

I do not understand that either - the alternative scenario they suggested did not hold water.

Tegan Mon 23-Feb-15 22:39:42

A good ending but I could have done without the journey to it. Still don't understand what made the jury decide that Joe wasn't guilty though.

Mishap Mon 23-Feb-15 22:33:37

Yes I agree. The final reconciliation scene did lack a bit of edge, which has been one of the really good features of the series. If it had been a bit more tentative it might have worked better.

Ana Mon 23-Feb-15 22:26:22

Brilliant last episode! All loose ends tied up and a satisfactory send-off for Joe (although I found the beach scene at the end a bit cheesy).

I'm not sure whether Broadchurch should go on and on, it'll lose its edge, but of course ITV has to chase the ratings.

POGS Mon 23-Feb-15 22:13:34

Well if that was an ending to those 2 stories then I thought it was well done in the end. I liked the last scene on the beach and the two families reconnecting with each other.

Have there been any remarks/comments/rumours of how Broadchurch 3 will pan out?? I haven't seen a thing.