Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Danish sperm donors

(9 Posts)
Agus Fri 30-Jan-15 11:18:36

grin Anya Shortly after having two DDs I decided to have two Labs. A good balance I thought. wink

whenim64 Fri 30-Jan-15 11:08:37

This service is a great model for other countries. Infertility or unwanted delay in becoming a parent can be harrowing for some people. As a family with IVF children and an imminent adoption, we welcome advances that enable people to have the children they long for.

Anya Fri 30-Jan-15 10:49:20

Teetime if I had my life to live again I'm not sure but I might seriously consider having a dog over having kids. I'd certainly be better off and have more free time.

Dogs are always easy to please. Feed them, take them for a walk and rub their tummies that's all they ask. You can lock them in the kitchen and go out for a few hours; I'm told it's not acceptable to do the same with the grandchildren.

Mishap Fri 30-Jan-15 10:28:49

I must say I did not find it "calculating" - I thought I might, but was in fact moved by the plight of these women who had so much love to give but had just missed the boat for one reason or another. I thought back to the joy we had from our little ones (and still have from them as adults) and really wanted them to have the same. Our motives for having children are complex, but in the final analysis, however they are conceived, they are satisfying a basic natural imperative that we cannot explain.

I did have a niggling thought about the hurdles that prospective adopters quite rightly have to jump before becoming parents and wondered whether there ought top be some sort of vetting, but there is none behind the bike sheds so maybe that is unfair.

Teetime Fri 30-Jan-15 09:15:12

My 2 lovely daughters were both derived from 2 separate ridiculous men. My DH of 35 years is not their biological father but the father they ought to have had- sadly we didn't have children together but a rather nice Golden Retriever so that was all lucky too.

Marmight Fri 30-Jan-15 06:28:15

It was a very emotional programme and I do feel so sad for the women whose clocks are ticking and their desperation for a child. However, I did find it somewhat calculating and it made me feel a little uncomfortable.

absent Fri 30-Jan-15 05:36:57

You can still have the "right" child with the "wrong"man. I didn't spend my life with absentdaughter's father, although we are good friends and live a short distance apart. Nevertheless, having a child is a glorious thing.

ninathenana Fri 30-Jan-15 03:21:14

Yes, having spent 13 yrs trying to have children and then ending up with two I know I'm very fortunate.

Mishap Thu 29-Jan-15 22:53:07

Did anyone see the Modern Times: the Vikings are Coming tonight? It broke my heart to see the lovely lady of 43 who tried so hard to become a mother - and looked the sort of person who would make a wonderful mother - and it all went wrong for her time and again. She had not met the right man and time was running out for her.

It made me realise even more how very lucky we are - to meet the right person to spend your life with and then to get pregnant at the drop of a hat (well perhaps not a hat!) each time - he only had to smile at me and I was pregnant.

How very lucky we are to have our lovely children.