Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Big Painting Challenge

(78 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 01-Mar-15 18:11:33

Anyone else watching this?

I'm enjoying it because the only thing I paint is furniture!

DH wants to know why we're watching paint dry?

Why is Una Stubbs wearing such weird clothes? Her skirts could be useful if you fancied a bit of shoplifting though hmm

sparkygran Mon 30-Mar-15 16:07:27

Most enjoyable programme the right contestant won was sorry Claire`s nerves got in the way last night and her paintings just didn`t live up to her potential. Hope she keeps at it.

Mishap Mon 30-Mar-15 15:11:06

Paul was consistent - that is why he won, and rightly so. But I too had a concern about him having professional experience. It seemed slightly unfair.

It was good to hear Claire say that she now regards herself as an artist - a really positive outcome for her.

J52 Mon 30-Mar-15 14:41:42

I think Paul was the right choice, I did like his painting of Dartmouth.
But it is interesting how the contestants have 'good and bad' weeks.
This week Amy seemed more together and Claire went to pot. Her nerves got the better of her timing.

I look forward to the next one. x

Tegan Mon 30-Mar-15 14:22:27

I was just about to say something similar Alie in that I found the place totaly uninspiring. I must watch the earlier programmes. Although the younger mans pictures were quite pleasant I only found them to be on a level with the sort of thing that my children and their friends were doing at school for A Level. I think that, for natural raw talent the young girl was far better than the others. I'd love to know what she's doing in a few years time.

AlieOxon Mon 30-Mar-15 08:40:31

Did anyone notice when they were doing the first picture, how the two men were immediately in touch with the whole naval setup - put themselves in the picture (so to speak!) as observers, insiders, with their views of men and bunk rooms - while the women were all at sea (OH dear!) with their ideas and had great difficulty in putting anything on canvas?

Amy was the one who did try for the history and heritage bit, but it didn't come together, and I couldn't make anything of Claire's abstract really.

hildajenniJ Sun 29-Mar-15 22:28:48

I missed tonight's episode, so I'm going to have to watch it on catch-up. Roku is a marvellous little invention. I really don't know what I did before having it. No need now for a recording device!

Eloethan Sun 29-Mar-15 22:05:40

I forgot to watch it and only caught about the last 10 minutes or so. I liked the young girl but in this final programme I thought the right winner was chosen. I thought the harbour painting was lovely.

annodomini Sun 29-Mar-15 22:02:39

Yes, I agree, Paul was the most consistently good of all the artists, though I think Steve had improved the most.

Deedaa Sun 29-Mar-15 20:45:23

I think Claire has the potential to be very good, but inexperience let her down this week. Paul was the right choice I think, the other two weren't quite as consistent.

Of course people did give Leonardo time limits - that's why so much of his work was unfinished grin

shysal Sun 29-Mar-15 20:39:27

I think the right person won.
What was Claire thinking, to do that abstract and then not complete the last picture? In the portrait round I had her as the winner, but she really lost it in the final.

Tegan Sun 29-Mar-15 20:28:15

Only saw tonights programme. Agree with the winner although it bothers me that he was more experienced than the other painters and had been an illustrator. I wish they could have allowed them to finish all of the final painting in their own time, because I think the one I would have liked the best would have been the young girls. I don't see how anyone can paint properly under pressure unless they're one of those people that do caricatures of people confused. May catch up with earlier programmes out of interest. Can you imagine Michelangelo [sp] being told 'right mate, you've got two weeks to paint this 'ere ceiling'.....

rosesarered Sun 29-Mar-15 20:11:45

Yes, I agreed with the winner, Paul. his three artworks at the end were all excellent.

Jane10 Sun 29-Mar-15 19:55:32

I agree re Paul. I thought he was best from the start although I liked Richard's stuff too. I enjoyed this programme. It was a little bit different -a change from cooking and antiques programmes!

AlieOxon Sun 29-Mar-15 19:45:51

They were all good at times, I thought. Surprising how their pictures varied week to week.
Must have been a very difficult decision!

Lona Sun 29-Mar-15 19:44:49

I agree, he was good.

ninathenana Sun 29-Mar-15 19:38:15

The right result in MHO

rockgran Sun 29-Mar-15 19:36:20

Spot on - I thought Paul was the best all along. Feel sorry for the others though as they were all good.

AlieOxon Sun 29-Mar-15 19:13:13

Well, what did you think of the result, folks?

Mishap Thu 26-Mar-15 22:15:53

She certainly has - I think she has the best eye for composition. I owuld like to see her win.

Deedaa Thu 26-Mar-15 20:55:24

I must say I would have had no chance because I'm rubbish at portraits and mediocre or worse at architecture. My sort of slightly abstract stuff doesn't seem to fit their brief at all. I comfort myself with the fact that Turner was appallingly bad at horses, so we all have our failings grin

I really like the way Claire works, possibly not a winner but she's got a lovely delicate touch.

durhamjen Thu 26-Mar-15 19:54:51

It's the timing that's all wrong. I can't imagine many professional artists can do what they are asked to do in the given time.

rosesarered Thu 26-Mar-15 10:33:24

I agree, Mishap.

Mishap Thu 26-Mar-15 10:19:53

I took issue with the criticisms of Ann and Amy. Ann is being marked down for the fact that she has a recognisable style and Amy because she is too free-flow and "self-indulgent" as one of the judges said.

I think that is nonsense. All artists have an individual style and that is how art historians are able to attribute paintings to their artists. Or how contestants on University Challenge are able to identify an artist's work when asked. And why people have a favoured artist - they like their style.

I also think it is a very harsh way of testing an artist's ability to ask them to do things that are not their style. There were several of the contestants who were frankly useless at portraits - but that could probably be said of plenty of famous landscape artists.

Having said that I do find the programme interesting from the point of view of looking at different media and styles.

J52 Thu 26-Mar-15 09:16:16

I liked Anne's style, very Gaugan. I was surprised that she was ousted before Amy.
I don't think Amy's work is very good, or that she has an understanding of perspective and composition. Albeit, she does seem to be a very nice person.

I agree, Richard looks like the winner. x

Granart Thu 26-Mar-15 08:57:03

I don't mind how Una dresses or indeed how she speaks but I really don't think she is a good presenter.
I believe the judges comments are spot on and from what the contestants are saying they are finding it helpful. I also agree with the decisions about who will leave each week.
Paul is very experienced but seems to be finding it hard to adapt his style and so hasn't done too well this week. To my mind Richard is definitely in the running to win as is Claire. But who knows what will happen in the final.