Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The New Poldark

(151 Posts)
shysal Tue 03-Mar-15 10:57:46

New Poldark, trailer
The new series starts on Sunday. I am looking forward to it, but the new actors will take some getting used to! I have the old set on DVD and have watched them recently, which will make it harder still.
Anyone going too view?

AshTree Mon 13-Apr-15 23:08:14

I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I didn't watch the original series, can't remember why. I watched a couple of clips on Youtube the other day, and to be honest they did nothing for me! Probably because I'm so completely wrapped up with the new series and this for me is the 'real' one.
My only criticism so far is the scar on Ross's face - fading now, thank heavens, but at first it looked plain ridiculous. Someone said it looked as if his mascara had run, and I wouldn't disagree with that grin

We go to Cornwall a lot (living in west Devon), so as another poster commented, I really hope the series won't mean our favourite haunts will be even more clogged with tourists than usual. But, hey, it's good for business in a region that relies so heavily on tourism, so mustn't complain.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 20:28:46

I had sub titles on. I usually do.

Tegan Mon 13-Apr-15 20:27:36

It didn't [the Wolf of Wall Street] appeal to me when it was on at the cinema but I've heard good reports about it since jings. Only problem is that, these days I struggle with understanding what people are saying when it's a film with American accents [may be why I seem to like films with subtitles!].

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 19:17:54

Oh good! smile

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 19:15:08

I think that Demelza scooped up the necklace afterwards.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 18:00:17

I can highly recommend it to all Gransnetters. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 17:59:01

We (DD and I) had just finishing watching the Wolf of Wall Street on DVD. The contrast was quite spectacular.

Anyone else seen that film? (she asks innocently)

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 17:58:14

Glad it's not just me with the gambling. I've never understood the allure of it, and those scenes did make me feel distinctly uncomfortable.

Slightly better than the previous week's episode, I thought, but now Ross and Demelza are a respectable married couple something's missing!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 17:56:02

I liked the gambling scene. DH said "he's cheating", but I didn't think so. It was such a relief to see the card in his grubby mitt. I wonder if Demelza got her necklace back?

Jane10 Mon 13-Apr-15 17:46:30

Yes I couldn't watch the gambling either but I found it a bit irritating. Will he/won't he build up which felt like such an obvious sort of plot manipulation.

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 17:43:05

Oh - I was not bored - I had to leave the room during the gambling scene as I could not stand the tension! - I lead a sheltered life!

Tegan Mon 13-Apr-15 16:49:47

Same here. I think that the episode 2 weeks ago was so perfect that nothing can come close to it [although I did spot Robin Ellis this time]. And, strange as it is for someone who likes a flutter on the horses, I hate seeing people gambling.

Jane10 Mon 13-Apr-15 16:42:58

I actually got bored watching this weeks episode! Oh dear.

Tegan Mon 06-Apr-15 00:09:27

Yes, but he's starting to look too longingly at Elizabeth now [icouldgooff'im].

merlotgran Mon 06-Apr-15 00:01:59

I agree, number and as well as the good looks he loves his wife, rushes home when she's in labour, looks after his staff, honourable towards his old love, sense of humour, hardworking.....

[sigh emoticon]

numberplease Sun 05-Apr-15 23:55:36

That young man gets more handsome every week!

kate1947 Wed 01-Apr-15 20:58:48

I didn't watch the old Poldark, but I'm thoroughly enjpying the new one, brilliant casting, look forward to it each week

whitewave Wed 01-Apr-15 15:18:28

Shhhh don't talk about that wild and beautiful place. smile

Tegan Wed 01-Apr-15 15:15:28

Shhhhh; Tregardock is a secret place wink....

whitewave Wed 01-Apr-15 15:14:09

Tregardock Would like my ashes to be scattered there

Tegan Wed 01-Apr-15 12:33:11

Trebarwith for me [my favourite place in the world]. And Port Quin. there's a hotel nearby called The Long Cross that has an old Victorian Garden that has been restored to it's former glory; I've always wanted to stay there but it means I can't take the dog. Also the National Trust properties overlooking the beach at Port Quin; again no dogs; but to wake up to that view [sigh].

ginny Wed 01-Apr-15 08:14:06

I'm enjoying the scenery too as well as the story. We love Cornwall, particularly the roseland peninsular. St. Mawes, Portscatho, Gunwalloe. Chapel Porth. North and south coasts vary so much but are near enough to enjoy both. Our next trip there is in August, hope it's not too busy !

numberplease Wed 01-Apr-15 01:29:40

We`ve been to Cornwall many times, but we`ve never been over the Tamar Bridge. We always come down the M5 onto the A30. I`m loving recognising the scenery around the St.Just area and the Botallack mine, in Poldark, is the Levant mine one of those shown as well? I love that coastline.

rosequartz Tue 31-Mar-15 19:03:36

And it is a different world once you have crossed that bridge! grin

Mishap Tue 31-Mar-15 18:06:43

Cornwall is lovely - we used to go to a hotel called the Tredragon every year in the October half term, because they had an offer which was two for the price of one and children free - so 5 of us had half board (lovely grub!) for the price of one adult! It has been refurbished now and turned intro a poncy adults-only hotel.

The only thing I would say, is that Cornwall is always further away than you think! - there is a long way to go to most coastal resorts once you have crossed the Tamar bridge.