Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poldark 2016

(154 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 04-Sep-16 21:25:56

Its no use I simply don't see the attractiveness of Aiden Turner as Ross Poldark. He just looks grumpy and a bit smelly most of the time. I like George Warleggan but only because he was such a splendid Freddy Threepwood in the Blandings series.

callgirl1 Mon 07-Nov-16 23:49:51

But she`s a laydee! They don`t do much!

Jalima Mon 07-Nov-16 22:26:28

Is anyone else puzzled about what Elizabeth actually does apart from wafting around a bit looking lovely?
As she was left with no money whatsoever I would have thought she would be in the scullery scrubbing home-grown vegetables to make soup or baking her own bread?

Or was she not so hard up after all?

I have never seen her do anything
(apart from that scene where ...)

Greyduster Mon 07-Nov-16 09:03:32

Well, we all saw that one coming didn't we? Wicked stepdad sends lad off to Dotheboys Hall to be "educated" while she brings up his (what will surely turn out to be) odious brood. Serves you right, Elizabeth! I'm another who can't wait for the next series.

SueDonim Mon 07-Nov-16 00:43:14

Lots happening in this final episode. I love aunt Agatha especially. It's a whole year until the next series - boo!

cornergran Sun 06-Nov-16 22:52:28

Final episode really held my attention. Will miss Poldark on Sundays.

merlotgran Sun 06-Nov-16 22:14:30

Isn't the little boy who plays Jeremy Poldark just gorgeous? I bet the actors who play Jud and Prudy make a fuss of him because he's so giggly in his scenes with them.

Can't wait for the next series.

ninathenana Sun 06-Nov-16 22:09:18

Great final episode. So glad they're back together.

Pittcity Sun 06-Nov-16 22:07:01

I've come over all unnecessary after that episode!

Luckygirl Sun 06-Nov-16 22:03:14

Aah. smile

Jalima Mon 31-Oct-16 17:42:43

Yes, I think the last Elizabeth was American, this one is Icelandic!

I spent quite a lot of my youth in Cornwall, didn't live there apart from working down there in the long summer holidays!

I do remember when I was little making friends with a brother and sister, the boy was called Denzil (could have been Jethro's pal!!).

Tegan Mon 31-Oct-16 17:36:30

Yes; he was gorgeous. I do prefer this Demelza though but, as I've said before Elizabeth is too drippy. I thought 'the old one' had a haughty beauty about her [was surprised to learn that she was American or Canadian]. I thought last nights episode was good, having been disappointed with the rest of the series. I spent a lot of my [mis spent] youth living in Cornwall being spurned/cheated on by various boyfriends, so I can relate to Demelza sad.

Jalima Mon 31-Oct-16 17:20:34

I must say I preferred the original George Warleggan (Ralph Bates)

Jalima Mon 31-Oct-16 16:58:28

Why do they canter along the cliffs when they are going off to London? I thought even in those days the main road was further inland.

You can never have too many waves crashing on the rocks, too much paddling Marmight grin

Marmight Mon 31-Oct-16 16:56:16

Far too much cantering there and back along the cliffs, too many waves crashing on the rocks blush, too much paddling in the freezing sea, too much staring into space, too many drippy men and too much sighing.... I think this series could have been done and dusted in 6 episodes. I preferred the original with Robin Ellis and the late Angharad Rees. Just saying wink.

ninathenana Mon 31-Oct-16 16:01:20

I decided after last weeks episode that she is pregnant thlsmile
This week we saw a bit too much of Elizabeth standing starring into space or out the window. Pretty boring really, what with that and Ross on his horse at the gate starring up at the house. Shame now his fortunes' have turned his marriage is down the pan. Oh no, wait that's his own fault.

Jane10 Mon 31-Oct-16 14:23:42

Drat!

Judthepud2 Mon 31-Oct-16 12:19:53

Aha! I know the answer to that one as I have read the books....and I'm not telling! thlwink

Jalima Mon 31-Oct-16 12:08:39

Last one next week I think Jane10

Jane10 Mon 31-Oct-16 11:55:11

Finally the story picks up and I suppose it'll be the end of the series soon. Oh well.

Jalima Mon 31-Oct-16 11:24:16

Well, if she is and if it is Ross who is the father, it will have to be a premature birth because she has delayed the wedding.

shysal Mon 31-Oct-16 09:38:35

Is Elizabeth pregnant and if so who is the father? No paternity tests in those days!

Jane10 Mon 31-Oct-16 08:57:09

I felt quite sorry for Elizabeth too. What an idiot Ross is! Just as things could really be looking up too. He's messed up 2 women.

carerof123 Mon 31-Oct-16 08:43:00

Poor Demelza she looks heartbroken by what Ross has done, such great acting by her last night i had a lump in my throat for her. Lets hope she triumphs in the end.

Atqui Fri 28-Oct-16 09:49:40

As reported by The Guardian, Fay Maxted, chief executive of the Survivors Trust, an organization for sexual assault charities in the U.K., said, “This is some sort of rape fantasy where the man is overcome by his lusty passions and the woman resists but she really wants him after all. It’s a complete rape myth."

Atqui Thu 27-Oct-16 16:08:20

www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/10/23/poldark-in-whose-world-is-the-elizabeth-ross-rape-scene-consensu/