Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Albert

(27 Posts)
Teetime Tue 20-Sep-16 08:57:24

Is it just me who thinks Albert is very creepy and a major control freak egomaniac?

DanniRae Sun 25-Sep-16 19:42:11

That made me chuckle AyjayF grin

merlotgran Sun 25-Sep-16 17:55:07

grin Ayjay

AyjayF Sun 25-Sep-16 17:52:38

When does Billy Connelly turn up?

trisher Sun 25-Sep-16 16:35:09

If they had cast an actor the right age for Lord M instead of the dishy Rufus Sewell it would have seemed really creepy he was 58 she was 18 when they met.
Victoria wrote loads of letters but they were edited after her death by her daughter Beatrice who apparently found some of the passages too racy and destroyed them.

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 14:24:30

I expect he breathed a huge sigh of relief and bolted for his carriage! If I was stuck with the prospect of Albert, though, I would bolt for mine!

merlotgran Sun 25-Sep-16 13:34:47

'Goodbye, Lord M.'

Boo-Hoo sad

Elrel Sun 25-Sep-16 01:45:12

She was a fine actor, saw her on stage in Vivat Regina too.

Elrel Sun 25-Sep-16 01:44:19

Grumppa. - Thanks, yes, it was Sarah Miles as Lady Caroline Lamb. I felt sorry for her, I remember.

Stansgran Thu 22-Sep-16 21:56:56

I just don't find any of the characters fit my picture of them. I found Victoria's letters fascinating years ago but I suppose they were edited to be interesting .I'm hunting through the shelves to reread. I don't suppose anyone knows of a preferably free download for kindle?

grumppa Thu 22-Sep-16 21:35:05

I think you mean Lady Caroline Lamb, scripted by Robert Bolt and starring his then wife, Sarah Miles.

Elrel Thu 22-Sep-16 20:37:31

Anyone else see a long ago film about Lady Caroline Lamb (Lady M)? When Byron rejected her she dressed as a page boy and stalked him.

Teetime Thu 22-Sep-16 11:29:11

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Elrel Thu 22-Sep-16 02:10:36

He was a disappointment to his wife I guess as she cheated on him but in the end so was the Bad Lord Byron!

Ana Wed 21-Sep-16 22:40:57

Well at least he looks....kind.

DaphneBroon Wed 21-Sep-16 22:24:24

Hate to rain on any body's parade especially those of us who are swooning at Rufus Sewell's buttoned up brooding sexiness , but the "real" Lord Melbourne might come as a bit of a disappointment to you.

merlotgran Wed 21-Sep-16 22:10:36

I've got one of those Harry Hill's TV Burp scenarios in my head now.

Who's the biggest control freak. Prince Albert or Rob Titchener. There's only one way to find out......

FIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

MargaretX Wed 21-Sep-16 21:42:25

If you read her letters then you realise it was Victoria who was the control freak.

No one knows what Albert was really like privately and you can't make him now into a Rob Titchiner (spelling?) just because we've heard a lot about this kind of behaviour lately.

Elrel Wed 21-Sep-16 21:25:54

DanniRae - agree about Lord M! Amused by Albert seeking 'hands off' theoretical instruction in the haus of ill repute!!

DanniRae Wed 21-Sep-16 19:53:24

Albert is very disappointing - I don't get any chemistry between him and Victoria.

However, I LOVE the chemistry between Victoria and Lord M. The scene where Victoria says goodbye to him before going on her honeymoon was, to me, very powerful and I was quite moved by it.

It helps that he is so good looking (and Albert not at all).

willsmadnan Tue 20-Sep-16 14:16:59

I agree, the portrayal on tv is a bit odd. Much has been written recently about Prince Albert , and even though he did exercise a lot of control over Victoria and his children ... (too much by today's standards we might say ) he is well documented as being the one who brought the palace mandarins to heel (a bit like the Duke of Edinburgh at the start of QE11's reign). Victoria comes across as a bit of a precocious child in the series, which I'm sure she was, and the parliamentary mutterings about the British tax payer supporting a penniless minor German Prince is very interesting. Its a bit of froth for Sunday night viewing, but what's wrong with thatsmile?

grannyqueenie Tue 20-Sep-16 13:37:16

I'm with you on that hair, Daphne and the mumbling Hunt, I find both really irritating!

Hunt Tue 20-Sep-16 09:49:24

wish he wouldn't mumble.

DaphneBroon Tue 20-Sep-16 09:31:26

I agree- but I suppose as Victoria was a teenager (?) his floppy hair etc was attractive to her? I just think as a German he'd have had a decent hair cut grin

Teetime Tue 20-Sep-16 09:23:31

Yes history tell us about the good things he did I just think this particular portrayal of him is rather off putting.

DaphneBroon Tue 20-Sep-16 09:15:31

His brother Ernst is better looking too.
As a (real) character Albert interests me though. Definitely ahead of his time and a much needed antidote to the entrenched aristocratic domination of life at that period.