Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anthony Hopkins

(20 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 26-Sep-16 22:32:47

Saw him in The World's Fastest Indian, and enjoyed that.

Deedaa Mon 26-Sep-16 21:57:10

That was a lovely film smile I was lucky enough to work on a stage production some years ago - great fun!

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 21:33:29

Yes I think it was. He was thirty or thirty one. It was a very strong performance. What better than to get your first film break alongside Hepburn and O'Toole?

Deedaa Sun 25-Sep-16 20:36:44

I think The Lion in Winter was the first film he made wasn't it? I remember him as Pierre in War and Peace and he was very good as Donald Campbell in the 70's?

Tegan Sun 25-Sep-16 19:52:16

He was filming in Bamburgh last week;unfortunately I wasn't there. Just kept getting phone calls telling me what I was missing. Yes, I remember him in War and Peace, too.

Anniebach Sun 25-Sep-16 19:10:41

I cannot recall a film he wasn't brilliant in, I don't cry watching films but he can move me to tears , he does vunerable and he does nasty

KatyK Sun 25-Sep-16 18:29:58

I also saw him in War and Peace and he stuck in my mind as abrilliant actor then and he still is in my opinion.

Greyduster Sun 25-Sep-16 09:58:27

I loved Shadowlands and Remains of the Day, but he also appeared in my two favourite films. He was a wonderful Prince Richard (later Richard I) in 'The Lion in Winter'; and he played Brigadier John Frost to a 'T' in 'A Bridge Too Far'. Whoever cast both those particular film couldn't have done a better job. Both films have a permanent place on my hard drive.

Anniebach Sun 25-Sep-16 09:48:57

Remains of The Day is brilliant, he should have won the Oscar , when I watch this film I ache for Stevens and when the pigeon is freed at the end i cry, for Stevens not the pigeon

One of my godsons is a film critic and he said in the film world Hopkins is considered the greatest living actor

Even as Lecter there is something touching about the character

gettingonabit Sun 25-Sep-16 09:33:37

I think for me it's Remains of the Day.

I first became aware of him as Bezukhov (sp) in War and Peace, where he was the only actor to stand out for my teenage self.

And of course he's unforgettable as Hannibal Lecter.

He's done so much, hasn't he?

Anniebach Sun 25-Sep-16 08:54:14

I didn't finish my post . I meant to say - he has made so many films , which is your favourite ?

LullyDully Sun 25-Sep-16 08:48:05

We recently saw him in The Red Dragon as Hannibal Lectar. He is a very good actor, a chilling film. He has that wonderful.Welsh influence to his voice whatever accent he is doing.

SueDonim Sat 24-Sep-16 23:35:54

And me! Glad he's still with us. I remember Shadowlands, too.

Anniebach Sat 24-Sep-16 22:57:19

So sorry

Linsco56 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:43:32

Ditto!

grannylyn65 Sat 24-Sep-16 22:41:53

Me too !!

Ana Sat 24-Sep-16 22:39:27

Oh, thank goodness! I had an awful feeling when I saw the thread title...

Grannyknot Sat 24-Sep-16 22:38:22

Don't know where "seesince" came from...

Grannyknot Sat 24-Sep-16 22:37:48

annie my daughter and I went to see that film years ago when it came out, and we were both in tears. She was just a teenager and I had wanted to see it. One hardly ever seesince Debra Winger now, I read a recent interview with her, she became a lecturer in arts and drama (so she would not be away from her children).

Anniebach Sat 24-Sep-16 22:25:54

I am watching Shadlowlands this evening, I had forgotten how deeply moving it was