Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Keith Richards: The Origin of the Species.

(17 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 23-Jul-16 21:22:49

On BBC2 right now.

If you like social history and more than a touch of nostalgia this'll be right up your street.

kittylester Sat 23-Jul-16 21:26:49

It would have been good apart from Keith Richards!

NfkDumpling Sat 23-Jul-16 21:34:15

Mmmm, it would be better if he just did the voice over! but yep pure nostalgia.

Oh, a pet shop with puppies in the window!

Luckylegs9 Sun 24-Jul-16 05:56:12

Enjoyed the programme very much. Personally never had any time for him, he always seemed in a deranged fury. However, quite liked him last night despite his weird teeth, and Tommy Copper laugh, couldn't make out if he was really with it though. When I saw all that old footage of bombed out buildings it's no wonder we are the tough generation and I for one appreciate his far we have come.

NfkDumpling Sun 24-Jul-16 06:14:40

I think the really tough ones were the ones who were actually bombed out of their homes. My mother had a fear of leaving home which was caused by her having gone to work in the morning and come home to a badly damaged uninhabitable house. For me the bomb site with its yellow weeds was a wonderful playground. And as Mr Richards said, we knew no different. One toy, often homemade, at Christmas was the norm for everyone.

It certainly brought home though how much our lives have changed. It was such a different world then.

wot Sun 24-Jul-16 13:10:27

I found it very interesting. I loved the nostalgia of it.....playing on bombsites, puppies in Windows, etc jumpers for goalposts.

KatyK Sun 24-Jul-16 15:06:37

I've got this recorded. I am reading his autobiography at the moment and although he has been very wild, he seems like a kindly soul at heart.

judypark Sun 24-Jul-16 15:24:46

Was rather disappointed, both the Times and Observer newspaper listed this as "Choice viewing". Frankly it could be the experiences of any persons raised during the Blitzing of London. Just because Keith is a musical legend doesn't make his account any more unique.

GillT57 Sun 24-Jul-16 16:08:20

Loved it. I have developed a real affection for Keef ever since hearing his wonderful interview on Desert island Discs. Always loved his music, but have got to like the person too.

Tegan Sun 24-Jul-16 16:23:36

His autobiography is very good isn't it Katy. Of all the Stones [other than Charlie] he is/was very respectful of women. I don't think I'd realised how much of the Stones music he actually wrote. I missed the first part of the programme last night but will watch it on catchup.

KatyK Mon 25-Jul-16 10:25:55

Yes it is very good Tegan He has surprised me.

NotTooOld Mon 25-Jul-16 17:30:18

I love Keef. Ever since I read his biography. He's a proper old reprobate but a human one. He must be tough to have survived this long.

GandTea Mon 25-Jul-16 17:45:06

Keith is just a year older than me, so his memories were very close to my own, our house was also destroyed in the bombing. I found him an excellent narrator, he is not as screwed up as he looks and sounds.

Jalima Mon 25-Jul-16 18:12:06

I missed this, so will try to watch it on catch-up.

I must say that DS and his friends were still using jumpers for goal posts in the 1980s!

Deedaa Mon 25-Jul-16 21:30:16

I enjoyed it. I was at art school several years after Keith and music was still very big. The Stones were just starting up and we were all very into Blues.

KatyK Tue 26-Jul-16 09:51:26

I've just watched this, I enjoyed it. From reading his autobiography and watching this programme, he comes across as being rather kind and quite close to his family. I like that!
smile

kittylester Tue 26-Jul-16 13:36:10

We tried again as the write ups in the papers and on here were so good. We gave up after about 15 minutes and did the cross word!