Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Eden on Channel 4

(14 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 26-Jul-16 01:28:04

Is anyone watching this? I am really enjoying it. It's not the usual "reality" programme which often seem to me to make a point of creating division and humiliating people.

I'm interested to see how a group of people from different backgrounds get on in a tough environment and how they manage to fend for themselves. At the moment, they mostly seem to be doing quite well, although there has been some upset about a member of the group who is too self-contained for some people's liking. I wonder if some of his concerns re how their accommodation - sited in a relatively open area near the sea - will stand up to winds which can apparently reach 90 mph.

Watching this makes me wonder how most people would cope when almost every convenience and comfort is taken away from them. I don't think I'd cope very well at all.

LullyDully Tue 26-Jul-16 08:11:21

It is very strange. They have such skilled people.with them who should be able to make it successful but seem to have an airy fairy approach to the work.Why couldn't the fisherman get any fish from the Atlantic?
They also have to have endless meetings, I am surprised they don't have a flip chart with paper and felt pens.
Let's hope no one gets pregnant..though they do have a doctor.
Will watch with interest. We did enjoy Tarensay many years ago with Ben Fogle when they were on an island. I seem to remember they argued a lot and had several children there.

Tegan Tue 26-Jul-16 22:45:14

I hated seeing the couples 'canoodling' when they have meetings. Back in student shared house days I loathed living with couples who were all kissy huggy; I haven't watched this weeks episode; put off a bit by the first one.

NanKate Wed 27-Jul-16 07:00:56

Watched both episodes and may continue, don't think I could watch a whole year's worth though.

There is too much back-biting and not enough getting down to survival for me.

The most impressive chap is the black chap who is building the shelters, he really does work hard.

The chef is doing well with coming up with different potato recipes.

The seem to have come round to Anton and his ways, who IMO has sensibly constructed a winter home.

obieone Wed 27-Jul-16 07:23:28

As it is a reality show, the people will have been chosen mainly for that reason.

It would be nice to see more survival and less squabbles, but I doubt that the show has been set up like that.

And if there was not enough squabbles, I suspect the programme makers would inject it in some way. And/or cut the programme short.

I could be wrong.

I am not sure how I would cope in the no conveniences situation. Not as bad as some I think, but I would probably crack part way through and walk back to civilisation.
But if it is anything like shows like Big Brother, I think people forfeit their fee, or some of it, if they walk, so that would stop or delay them doing that.

We shall see. I think the programme is quite watchable at the moment.

Mumsy Wed 27-Jul-16 07:52:17

I was going to watch it as at first I thought it was a serial drama, as soon as I realised it was a reality show I didnt bother. Theres far to many reality shows on tv at the moment!

carerof123 Wed 27-Jul-16 09:03:19

I can not understand why Anton was picked to be in the show. He clearly has a problem with mixing in and being part of the team and he comes across to me as a bit of a drama queen. Why did he disappear for hours then make a grand entrance hugging and kissing the girls, i noticed none of the men greeted him at all.

mrsmopp Mon 01-Aug-16 21:07:58

Maybe it will end up like Lord of the Flies and the whole team will revert to savages?
We watch and wait with interest. An interesting psychological experiment for sure...

cornergran Mon 01-Aug-16 21:49:47

Weirdly fascinating so far. Mr C isn't a fan but I'm intrigued to see how they all fare.

GrandmaKT Mon 01-Aug-16 22:14:06

I'm finding it interesting, but have to watch on catch-up on my laptop as no one else will watch it! I'm sure Anton had a good point about needing a winter shelter, but he should have talked to the rest and come up with a plan - after all they have all summer to think about that, and there are lots more pressing things like planting crops. I think the Canadian masseur would get on my nerves very quickly!

Eloethan Tue 02-Aug-16 23:50:51

I am really enjoying it and finding it interesting how people behave towards each other in very challenging. I wonder who is leaving - could it be Raphael as he is really looking quite ill. It would be a shame as he has contributed quite a lot. Some of them look and appear to be coping quite well physically whereas others look exhausted and lacking in energy.

I do think it's a bit of a cop out the masseur being able to spend most of her time in her "comfort zone" while other people are having to learn new skills and do work which is quite often backbreaking and totally alien to them. I'm also not too keen on the attitude of some of the men - I think one in particular is a bit of a stirrer - the IT /gamekeeper chap.

Auntieflo Sun 14-Aug-16 16:43:01

I have recorded he episodes so far,and last night watched first two. What I can't understand is how on earth is the girl, who now gives massages instead of working, a life coach?? confused

shysal Sun 14-Aug-16 17:23:54

She claims to have a bad back which prevents her doing any proper work, so how can she manage to give massages, which can be back-breaking I would have thought?
There is a break now until the autumn. It will be interesting to see how they progress.

Eloethan Thu 01-Sep-16 22:24:06

I was just looking to see what has happened to Eden. From the above post, I see it is back in the autumn - thanks Shysal.