Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Are you being served.

(42 Posts)
felice Sun 28-Aug-16 21:23:35

No NO No No NO NO NO NO, and it is only half way through.
What will they have done to Porridge, almost frightened to watch, but need to if you know what I mean!!!!

aggie Sun 28-Aug-16 21:26:50

Oh I do agree !!! a travesty

aggie Sun 28-Aug-16 21:37:11

Oh dear had to turn Porridge off , it is even worse sad

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 21:52:20

Porridge was awful and turned off after 5mins but I didn't think Are you Being Served was that bad. We did watch to the end some of the jokes were quite funny, its different and meant to be as its now set in the 80s I thought Sherrie Hewson was much better than I expected. We enjoyed it and did laugh out loud a couple of times.

Ana Sun 28-Aug-16 22:29:38

I expected them both to be dire, and was only half-watching Are You Being Served, but something caught my interest and I actually found myself laughing!

Didn't think Porridge was too bad either, but only as a one-off.

numberplease Mon 29-Aug-16 01:18:57

Couldn`t bring myself to watch it, I still have very fond memories of the original.

grannylyn65 Mon 29-Aug-16 07:25:38

Travesty is exactly right word ! ( shudder )

PRINTMISS Mon 29-Aug-16 07:57:57

Yes, it is never a good idea to 'go back' is it. I thought "Are you being served" was awful, but then I never really liked the original.
Porridge I thought was a good 'take' - the "trickery" was still there. Wonder what the rest will be like, there are some more to come I believe.

LullyDully Mon 29-Aug-16 08:03:48

Are you being served was horrible and lacked the charm of the old series. The innuendo was unbearably heavy handed, .........couldn't face Porrige.

Pittcity Mon 29-Aug-16 08:52:44

Not impressed by either.
Sherri Hewson said these new and rehashed comedies that the BBC are showing this week are pilots and may be made into full series if well received. Not last night's offerings please!

ninathenana Mon 29-Aug-16 08:55:09

Victoria was better grin
Haven't really made up my mind about it though.

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 09:30:26

The Porridge one was great. He was perfectly believable as Fletch's grandson, even sounded like him occasionally. I really hope this wasn't a one off.

Are You Being Served was as dire as it always was

kittylester Mon 29-Aug-16 09:33:46

Phew, Anya, I thought I was the only one! I thought Porridge was really quite good. Are You Being Served was dire.

Charleygirl Mon 29-Aug-16 09:34:40

Like numberplease I prefer to remember the old series so could not watch the latest apart from the minor fact I forgot about it.

NonnaW Mon 29-Aug-16 09:40:55

I found Are You Being Served cringeworthy but quite enjoyed Porridge.

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 09:41:48

I think Kitty we might have similar tastes in humour grin

I like the way they moved Porridge into the present day and didn't just try to replicate the original.

Swanny Mon 29-Aug-16 10:22:33

IMO Porridge was the better of the 2 programmes last night, but then it always was. Last night's Porridge also had the advantage of being written by the original scriptwriters.

Are You Being Served? gave us an excellent portrayal of Mollie Sugden by Sherri Hewson as Mrs Slocombe. The other main characters were also portrayed well. In the original programme the innuendo was always heavy-handed and you could see the punchlines coming from a mile off, so nothing changed there.

I'm looking forward to see whats next

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 10:29:52

That explains it Swanny - the original scriptwriters.

shysal Mon 29-Aug-16 10:38:48

Sherrie Hewson was quite good as Mrs Slocome, but I hated the rest and turned off after about 5 minutes and couldn't face Porridge either.

Anya Mon 29-Aug-16 12:27:17

Shysal several of us really enjoyed Porridg .

I'd certainly tune in to watch it again. Great script and the young actor who played Fletcher's grandson nailed it IMO.

millymouge Mon 29-Aug-16 12:37:24

Only survived 10 minutes of Are you being Served and turned off, couldn't face Porridge either. Enjoyed the originals but would rather remember those.

Christinefrance Mon 29-Aug-16 12:40:23

Truly dreadful . Porridge was marginally better but would not want to watch any more.
Think Patricia Routledge hit the nail on the head when told about the revival of Keeping up appearances, she said ' The BBC must be desperate '

Elrel Mon 29-Aug-16 14:01:50

Are You Being Served? was a poor parody of the original with far too much reliance on Mrs Slocum's pussy for laughs. Mr Conway could perhaps have a spin off.
Porridge was a little better. Or do I mean 'little better'?

Elrel Mon 29-Aug-16 14:04:07

I'd prefer more episodes of the original Hi De Hi, I really enjoyed the first episode last week, great vintage entertainment!

obieone Mon 29-Aug-16 14:14:01

I loved Porridge. Thought it was great. Good cast and good storyline.

I havent seen Are You Being Served.