Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Can't Pay - We'll Take It Away

(4 Posts)
supernanauna1 Thu 29-Sep-16 00:09:35

Do any other GNers watch this? It's a fascinating programme but I'd love to know if they have to get the debtors' permission before filming? Surely you can't just film people in these circumstances and show it on TV? Anybody got some inside information on this please?

It seems that nobody seriously objects to being filmed, which I find very strange.

Christinefrance Thu 29-Sep-16 08:28:41

Seems like a moment of fame is worth it for some people. I don't have any information about this but I assume permission must be granted before filming. It does show both sides of the coin I thought, the people who have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own and the feckless and irresponsible who think they are owed a living.

supernanauna1 Thu 29-Sep-16 22:10:18

Yes Christine I agree - and I wish all bailiffs were as understanding and kind-hearted as those shown are, but I very much doubt it.

It's really strange - it's obviously a shock to the debtors when the bailiffs turn up but none of those shown ever make any objection to the camera being there. Maybe some people do object and in that case they can't be shown, but possibly others are so discombobulated by what's happening that they don't notice the camera.

I thought somebody on here would have an explanation but I haven't received one so far.

Another one of life's little mysteries...................

petra Fri 30-Sep-16 09:07:03

I love the two 'older' chaps. Where a case is genuine hardship they do all they can to help.
I've been in the situation with tenants who haven't paid rent and over crowded the property. We dealt with it ourselves.