Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone watching The Apprentice ?

(75 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 15-Oct-16 09:38:09

Each year I say never again as they are all such 'up your own bum' characters but I always get dragged in It takes a week or two to get to know the characters especially the quieter ones
Any opinions ? I m not sure the right girls have gone so far I think the girl who was the project manager this week was pretty poor

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Oct-16 10:07:31

I've only seen one episode so far, because DH hates it with a passion. This is because so many of the candidates are inept and/or up themselves. I can't convince him that this is what makes it good TV grin He'd rather see efficient, sober-minded, ethical young business people all working diligently together - as if I'd bother recording that!

I see that Jessica was the team leader. She can't be sacked yet, she's far too entertaining. Alan Sugar's dry comments crack me up.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Oct-16 10:10:54

It'd be good to see a series with, ahem, more mature candidates. Perhaps competing for a share of Lord Sugar's pension pot. I'd be up for that!

ninathenana Sat 15-Oct-16 10:16:25

I've never watched it, if I happen across it whilst channel hopping I can't change channels quick enough grin H feels the same.

Charleygirl Sat 15-Oct-16 10:24:04

This week was dire- I would have sacked at least 4 of them and possibly all 6 but that does not make for good TV and the show would be over by the end of this month.

It is almost beyond me how any of the present lot manage to hold down any job at all. The problem is that there is not a lot else to watch.

gretel Sat 15-Oct-16 10:32:17

I used to watch but didn't bother with the last series. I think the programme makers made a mistake by offering the winner investment in a business rather than a job because surely they are only going to keep in the candidates that have a viable business plan and not the ones that perform well on the tasks.

tanith Sat 15-Oct-16 10:43:36

Yes but wondering why I even bother its so dire this year. The girls are like 11yr olds in the playground and as for that one 'loud mouth' he's just a bully but the others aren't much better.

Mumsy Sat 15-Oct-16 10:46:48

If thats the best of the bunch that came from all the competiters that applied lord help Alan Sugar!

POGS Sat 15-Oct-16 10:51:15

Yep, I watch it and I find it entertaining in various ways.

I watch 'Your Fired' too and I thought Rhod Gilbert was a great choice to take over. As good as Dara O'Briain , better than Jack Dee.

The woman who was fired actually had a good sense of humour, self deprecating.

Christinefrance Sat 15-Oct-16 11:04:22

I'm with your husband Maggie, it's dire and they are all so selfish , would be nice to see the show doing something for charity once in a while.

Jayh Sat 15-Oct-16 11:27:00

It sends my usually mild mannered husband into a rage, so he leaves the room if I am watching it. I find it horribly fascinating and have watched every series so far. Not always to the end, however, as I sometimes lose interest and don't care who wins. The early days are entertaining, though with them all running about and even the occasional flounce. It's my guilty secret. ?

felice Sat 15-Oct-16 13:11:35

I watch, Your Fired, but not the programme itself, I just get so angry and start shouting at the TV, then DD comes downstairs asking if I am ok !!!!!

NanSue Sat 15-Oct-16 13:41:24

I do watch but totally agree with Gretel in that it was fairer when the job was being offered. Surely it's a forgone conclusion re the best business plan. They are very shouty this series, even more than usual.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Oct-16 13:42:49

It's not what it once was, I must admit, but there have been some memorable moments. When they mixed up cedarwood and sandalwood, and concocted a perfume that cost more per bottle than the average house (only a slight exaggeration, I'm sure!). When they were charged with baking bread rolls for a banquet and turned up with about a dozen, because they'd run out of time. When they tried to sell that value Cheddar to the French. I think I'm addicted grin

It was at its best when Nick and Margaret were on hand for caustic comments, though I do like Karren and Claude.

I'm still working on my pitch for the Gransnet Apprentice. They could still have the follow up programme on BBC2. The Apprentice - You're Retired.

trisher Sat 15-Oct-16 13:55:34

Oh I am hooked again. I do have a theory that they screen candidates and weed out any with any abilities at all before the programme even starts. Once you realise that it is much easier to accept that nothing will go well. And the mistakes are hilarious, lost van last week, lost jeans this!!!

trisher Sat 15-Oct-16 13:58:15

Maggiemaybe I'll join you on that as long as I can tell Lord Sugar what I think of him after he fires me. Can't do this "Thank you for the opportunity" thing.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Oct-16 14:08:40

But of course, trisher. I can't imagine they'll expect us women of a certain age to be gracious in defeat. I shall probably kick the desk over as I leave.

oldgoose Sat 15-Oct-16 14:19:10

The girl who left this week (so bland that I can't even remember her name) admitted on 'Your'e Fired' that she had never watched the Apprentice. How on EARTH did she get to the actual programme? She had no clue what a 'strap line' was and was clearly way out of her depth. Did the producers put her in to make her look stupid or did she just slip through the net. I thought she was flirting with Rhod Gilbert a bit as well.
I don't think she came across any better in the 'Your'e Fired' show. She was obviously more relaxed but.......

Teetime Sat 15-Oct-16 14:33:50

I watch this because I actually like Lord Sugar and respect what he has achieved and he must be laughing his socks off at this programme- this must be the worst shower of candidates ever but I shall carry on watching we have a lovely time shouting at the candidates here. Both DH and I taught management to managers so we know it all. grin

Charleygirl Sat 15-Oct-16 14:40:55

I do not normally watch the programme until mid way and the dross has been fired.. It is so dire this series that I cannot stop watching it.

gulligranny Sat 15-Oct-16 17:11:32

Is there such a word as "common-senseless"? If not there should be as it applies totally to all these puffed-up eejits whose IQs don't equal their head-sizes. The earlier series at least used to try to have people with a bit of charm, wit, personality or gumption, but this lot - as DH says, if this is the flower of British youth bring on the weedkiller.

But it's totally addictive. And I have a secret yen for Claude, but please don't tell anyone.

Deedaa Sat 15-Oct-16 19:55:28

I love Claude, there's really no hiding place when he starts looking into anyone's plans. I've only watched the first one so far but the girls seem disappointingly useless this time. Surely successful business women shouldn't flap and squeal so much?

TerriBull Sat 15-Oct-16 21:01:46

It's past it's sell by date but I'm still watching, I don't know why really. The two ads that the respective teams produced this week for the jeans campaign were rubbish, but given the time constraints to put their ads together, it was hardly surprising. I imagine a lot of planning, editing and fine tuning would go into a genuine advertising campaign before the end product is launched. Sometimes I think the candidates are given impossible tasks and then of course some of the editing doesn't show them in a favourable light. Their bragging doesn't help though.

Marieeliz Sun 16-Oct-16 10:01:38

Love it but as time goes on, like Strictly, it becomes a bit short on talent.

Blinko Sun 16-Oct-16 10:41:58

Never watch it. Can't bear Sugar.