Gransnet forums

Webchats

Sir David Jason webchat - Thurs 17 Oct 1-2pm

(64 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Oct-13 13:49:40

Sir David Jason was born in 1940 in North London. His acting career has been long and varied: from his theatre work in the West End to providing voices for Mr Toad from The Wind in the Willows, Danger Mouse and The BFG; and from Open All Hours and The Darling Buds of May to his starring roles as Detective Inspector Frost in A Touch of Frost and, of course, Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses.

We are delighted to be doing a webchat with him to mark the publication of his long-awaited autobiography, My Life (and <whoop> we have a signed copy for someone who posts a question.)

Born the son of a Billingsgate market porter at the height of WW2, he spent his early life dodging bombs and bullies, both with impish good timing. He worked as an electrician before taking up acting and through a natural talent for making people laugh, found himself working with the leading lights of British comedy in the 1960s and '70s: Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Bob Monkhouse and Ronnie Barker. Barker would become a mentor to David, leading to hugely successful stints in Porridge and Open All Hours.

In 1981, kitted out with a sheepskin jacket, a flat cap, and a clapped-out Reliant Regal, David found the part that would capture the nation's hearts: the beloved Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses. He also enjoyed an award-winning spell as TV's favourite detective Jack Frost, took a country jaunt as Pop Larkin in The Darling Buds of May, and even voiced a crime-fighting cartoon rodent in the much-loved children's show Danger Mouse.

suliza Thu 31-Oct-13 21:03:49

my daughter and her partner was in the programme FROST with david jason when it was filmed at Blackpool north pier. he is a very nice person

laidback Sun 20-Oct-13 04:06:16

Oh bugger missed it! You are known in the industry as being a bit tight! Why did'nt you ever buy a rounds of drinks during filming?! Lloyd pack was nearly as bad?!..... Well?

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 14:03:29

Thank you for a very enjoyable hour with some very nice questions. I hope my answers have been satisfactory!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Oct-13 14:02:32

Thanks so much to Sir David for taking the time to chat to us today! Never seen the office so animated.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 14:02:03

muddyboots

Hi Sir David! I am a big fan. What made you jump from being an electrician to an actor? Bit random!

It's not quite as simple as that, but I had been, for ten years, enjoying being an actor in an amateur theatre group. Eventually after ten years, I realised that the only time I was getting any satisfaction from life was when I was acting, so I decided that I'd try and become a professional actor.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:56:52

Maniac

We got our first TV in the mid 60s and I seem to remember a comedy series where you played a rather inept detective (or spy) We enjoyed it so much and the whole family were your devoted fans from then on.Have I imagined it? -never repeated or mentioned in your credits.
Did you enjoy your time living in Bristol -my home town for last 25 years?

Not at all, it was a show called the Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs, a spy with the MI5. It was a show I loved to do.

I did enjoy Bristol and I had a very happy time when I was filming Fools, but it wasn't quite so nice when I was on tour because we were in a B&B! Staying in digs in B&B was just what you did - doing the play was what you were waiting for.

ChristmasIsComing Thu 17-Oct-13 13:53:56

Hellooo David. What does Sophie want to be when she grows up? Does she want to go into acting like you? Are you encouraging her to? grin

woof Thu 17-Oct-13 13:52:40

Hello David. Do you think it's harder nowadays for kids to get into acting? In fact, do you think it's harder now to climb up the ladder from being working class?

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:52:25

I've been asked my favourite cake: I'm not much of a cake fan, but I am partial to a Jaffa cake!

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:51:04

petitpois

I love the royals. What did the queen say to you?

I think I'd be completely starstruck if I met you. Is there anyone you've met in your career who you've been starstruck by?

Any good gossip? wink

The Queen said to me, "congratulations Mr Jason (before she knighted me), what are you doing next?"

I felt such a wolly because I said "I'm going to be doing a Christmas special of Only Fools and Horses Madam!" She just smiled graciously.

I've met so many people, but I was really pleased to be able to meet both leaders of our main parties, David Cameron and Ed Miliband. That was nice.

muddyboots Thu 17-Oct-13 13:49:27

Hi Sir David! I am a big fan. What made you jump from being an electrician to an actor? Bit random!

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:47:55

pamelaJEAN

Hi David,

Congratulations on your fantastic career, just love Only Fools and Horses, and I am really excited about the the Christmas Open All hours..... such good viewing for all the family. My question to you is have you any regrets in life!! Do you think you would have enjoyed working in a corner store!???

I suppose I have one very slight regret that I didn't have the opportunity to work in Hollywood. Not a big deal though! A corner store might have been a bit too much like hard work though.

Scream Thu 17-Oct-13 13:47:23

What's it like being an older father? Are you preparing for the stroppy teen stage? grin

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:46:31

POGS

Dear David.

How wonderful to be able to have this personal contact with you.

I am not an avid reader but I love everything that Tom Sharpe wrote. I know you were in 'Porterhouse Blue' but do you not think you would be suited to many of his other works such as 'The Throwback' or 'Vintage Stuff'. I think the humour in his writing is so you. Let's face it you are the master of comedy acting, not everyone can pull it off.

I think 'Only Fools and Horses' will be the favourite to many of us. The skill of the writer and the skill of the actor is epitomised in 'Only Fools'. The ability to make us laugh out loud one minute and then cry buckets in the next is just marvellous.

You Sir are simply a treasure and I hope your 'Open All Hours' Christmas special is a total success.

I would love to do more Tom Sharpe but nobody seems to be making television adaptations of his work unfortunately!

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:42:41

notquitebabyboomer

Hi David, lovely to have you with us. My question is, do you think you'll ever properly retire? And what would you do if you did?

No, I won't ever retire and if I did, I'd probably set out to build a helicopter. I probably wouldn't finish it but it's the journey for me, not the destination.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:39:41

Pittcity

It was revealed on the One Show that you were 'The Phantom Raspberry Blower Of Old London Town'!
Do you have any other hidden talents?

Well, I can answer that. I don't think they're hidden talents but I do tend to impersonate people, and one of my pleasures is when I phone people sometimes I will impersonate someone in order to fool them. My latest success was phoning my agent and convincing the office that I was Richard Gere.

notquitebabyboomer Thu 17-Oct-13 13:38:16

Hi David, lovely to have you with us. My question is, do you think you'll ever properly retire? And what would you do if you did?

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:37:17

Enviousamerican

Sir David as an American fan I've seen most all of your work that's been available on DVD. My question is when working with Ronnie Barker who interrupted filming more often from laughing,your or him?

When working with Ronnie B I would be the one that would interrupt the filming because Ronnie would do or say something. I have heard him ad-libbing during the filming and that makes you laugh because it comes out of left field! It would have been me.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:35:53

mariesahelper

would you say its too late to start acting career at 57, and what would you do to get started if it was you. Good news about granvill,i have started my Christmas lists, your at the top of my t.v. must watch specials for xmas, I hope that you make more than one, the country needs some nostalgic/up to date clean family comedy, to bring some smiles to faces in these hard times, and to bring together family viewing.

That I agree with! I'm with you a hundred percent. I think Open All Hours has stirred up a lot of interest because a lot of people feel they're not being served good television with your family. What I would say about starting an acting career is: it would be exremely difficult, but where there's life there's hope. I think Del Boy's ideology is the right one - "he who dares, wins".

LyndaW Thu 17-Oct-13 13:33:54

And what do you think is a good age for retirement? Do you think you ever will?!

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:33:12

nancy22

Hi there. You are a fantastic actor who can turn your hand to any role and I have to say I have loved them all. Have you got anything in the pipeline for doing any Christmas specials and who was the funniest person you were paired up with? Regards

I'm very much looking forward to reprising my role as Granville, but he is a lot older now and will be taking over the shop, renamed Granville's.

I'd have to say the most talented and funniest person I was paired with would be Ronnie Barker. He is the creme de la creme.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:53

Grannygee

Now that you have a family of your own sir David, do you ever think of your 'TV' family life as Del boy and as big brother to Rodney? Is there anything from that family that you would bring to your true life family?

As for laughter, my strong memory of laughing at 'Only Fools' was when my husband was putting the children to bed one evening and allowed me to watch an episode undisturbed. It was the one where the inflatable "ladies' go up in smoke on the fire and Del says 'I told them not to have the vindaloo'! I slid off my seat and my husband came down to see what all the noise was about. I think you were so fabulous in that series and I loved you too in 'Open All Hours'. RIP Ronnie Barker and long live the tank top! I had a soft spot for Granville and wanted him to find love! Thank you for making us laugh so much xx

I love the idea of you sliding off the sofa! If it makes you laugh that much it can't be bad. Any time you want to slide off the settee I'll join you!

LyndaW Thu 17-Oct-13 13:31:12

Hello again. Great chat - feel like I'm in the room with you! Bet you're having a good chuckle. I'm a bit celebrity obsessed and want to know what your most surreal celebrity experience has been? Anything bizarre? Do you know of anyone (you don't have to name them) with diva-ish demands?

Do you find the press intrusive? Have they ever overstepped the mark with you?

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:27:21

bobbinwinder

Hello from down under, I have loved and enjoyed all the work you have done over the years. probably Granville is my favourite, but totally enjoyed the Frost series too (and the others of course but those two are my favourites).
My question is: Was there much ad-libbing done on any of your shows? and do you ever look back over your life and be quietly amazed at how much you have achieved and humbled at the amount of fans you have bought so much enjoyment to, and who love you and your talent. Just thinking about you brings a smile to my face, god bless smile

The ad-libbing all took place during rehearsals and most of it would stay in, but it didn't happen during the recording. I'm humbled by how many people enjoy the work I've done, and it's the reason I became an actor in the first place. It's a two-way street; if I can give pleasure through it, it gives me pleasure. That's what we should all be trying to do.

DavidJason Thu 17-Oct-13 13:22:58

glammanana

Hello Sir David,What an absolute pleasure to have you on our GN forum and thanks so much to you and your collegues for all the pleasure you have given to us over the years,my question is this why do you think there are no writers of comedy now as there where when "Open All Hours" "Porridge" and "Only Fools" all enjoyed by all my family if only you knew the places the DVD's had been played when my son's where away on a tour of duty you would be amazed.

I think that what has happened is that writers today don't have to have the strict discipline that they had in the past, which forced them to think of another way of getting their ideas across without being graphic. Also, because of the way television has developed, companies are no longer prepared to nurse a new comedy show and that's the reason, I think. It's a shame, but that's modern day for you!