Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Celia Imrie - Tues 24 March 1-2pm

(76 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:14:52

Hurrah - Celia Imrie will be joining us at GNHQ next Tuesday to answer your questions on her new book, Not Quite Nice (info here) as well as her award-winning career.

So add your questions now and join us on the day!

jack Thu 19-Mar-15 19:11:23

I also love your talent as an actress, Celia. But I'm not so sure about your literary skills. Perhaps we are all fed up with stories about ex-pats mucking about in foreign climes but I persevered in the hope that there would be some surprises. Unfortunately the jokes fell flat and the characters were a bit like puppets being manipulated by their creator. All the children and grandchildren were pretty vile whilst Theresa turned out to be a bit too soppy for my taste. Please stick to acting, Celia. But don't take one person's critical comments to heart. You might well come up with an absolutely stunning novel next time and then I'll have to eat my words!

Frannygranny Fri 20-Mar-15 22:13:44

Hi Celia
It is a great "holiday read". Light and easy to read, maybe not a masterpiece but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have never been disappointed in any part you have played - a sign of a very talented actress. I would love to see you in a 'serious' part.

GrannyGlyn Sat 21-Mar-15 07:37:43

I too found the grandchildren and Imogen a bit OTT but I could identify with a "lighter" version. I can only only go on holiday when my daughter does and she decides when that is!

That aside, I enjoyed the book and it would be an excellent holiday read.

May I ask Celia what her next project is?

Grannybug Sat 21-Mar-15 18:37:49

Hi Celia not a book I would have chosen and at first I struggled to identify with the characters. However the farce and froth was and easy read while the description of the scents ,sounds and architecture enabled visualising the streets and buildings easy and left me wishing I was there. However the part that has stuck with me throughout is the capacity for change that older women have as well as the often tough decision to allow grown up childre to be just that ...grown up. All of this wrapped up in a light frothy read ..but Im still thinking about it.
Wondered if you have any other books in the pipeline dealing with other issues faced by older people?

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Mar-15 17:43:19

Hi Celia. Your descriptions of the sights and sounds of Bellevue-sur-Mer are very evocative. They really brought the place alive and it sounded idyllic - until we met the residents. With a couple of exceptions (notably Theresa and Sally) we had rude traders, ex pats handy with their fists, prone to bed-hopping, intent on swindling or insulting their neighbours or relatives and/or bitching about their friends. And Theresa, Sally and Faith were completely wet where their selfish offspring were concerned. I felt more empathy with the package holiday oiks and sunburnt backpackers they all looked down their noses at. Could I ask whether this was your intention, Celia? Would you have fitted into this community, or would you have crossed the road to avoid most of them as well?

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-15 09:51:22

Hello again Celia. Just wondered if I could possibly ask a second question please? I have now almost finished the book and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a really easy read.

I would like to ask; If "Not quite Nice" was to made into a film and you were asked to "play" one of the characters, who would you be? and why? Thanks again smile

rubysong Mon 23-Mar-15 10:43:24

I am enjoying the book but haven't quite finished. Will it be a film? I would certainly go and see it. I have just enjoyed Exotic Marigold 2 and loved your character. She was totally unlike anything I have seen you play before. Did you relish it or feel slightly out of your comfort zone? (I went with a friend who we think is just like you! We all love her.)

littleacorns Mon 23-Mar-15 14:49:31

Hello Celia I did enjoy your book - just as I have enjoyed your work as an actress for a very long time. I would love to know what it was like to work with Julie Walters?

ladygrey Mon 23-Mar-15 14:50:56

I would love to know if you prefer theatre, TV or films. And what your favourite role has been to date. Sorry that's two questions!

grisgranny Mon 23-Mar-15 14:57:34

I am another who enjoyed your novel - perfect holiday read. Celia I have read newspaper pieces about you having your son very much on your own terms, even though this wasn't to the liking of everyone. I imagine there were times that was very hard? But very much worth it in the end?

Ana Mon 23-Mar-15 15:57:14

I'm really struggling with this book, which is a pity as I love you as an actress, Celia, and had hoped your novel would be as funny and witty as you seem to be.

I didn't find the characters believable, and how anyone could let their daughter and grandchildren talk to them in such a manner is beyond me! Most of the situations seemed contrived and far-fetched and I really don't care what happens to any of the random collection of people. Will try to finish it before tomorrow but I'm afraid I don't think my opinion will change.

Versavisa Tue 24-Mar-15 05:02:19

Ana you took the words out of my mouth. I too was disappointed in the book for the same reasons.

I was looking forward to it so much, love Celia's acting, love the south of France and enjoyed the double meaning of the title. But the book just didn't come to life for me.

glinky Tue 24-Mar-15 10:49:04

I found the book a light and entertaining read which was just what I needed after a hard couple of weeks. I would like to ask Celia what made her decide to write a novel? Was it a long-held ambition? And did she find it hard?

choccyqueen Tue 24-Mar-15 10:52:26

Hello Celia idid you always want to be an actress?

grettel Tue 24-Mar-15 11:00:24

I really enjoyed your Who Do You Think You Are and wondered how the experience was for you?

noniette Tue 24-Mar-15 11:03:50

I know that you have written openly about your struggle with anorexia as a teen and wondered if you could offer some words of encouragement to someone in a similar position

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Mar-15 13:00:45

Welcome to Celia who I was so busy chatting to that I quite forgot to introduce! She's here and about to start answering - do add any further questions now

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:03:34

happytraveller

Hi Celia

Enjoyed your latest book very much; also enjoy watching you on the screen. Lots of actors make the transition to writing - usually an autobigraphy and, sadly, not always sucessfully, and I wonder why writing is such a draw for this particular profession?. Is it because actors are not always in regular work and they feel the need to do something else, or because they like to talk about themselves perhaps? Good luck with any future work and long may we continue to watch you too.

Hello, I'm glad you enjoyed Not Quite Nice. I think the reason actors like to make the transition into writing is so that they can have a little more control because as an actor, you have to wait to be asked "to dance" I call it. Surprisingly, actors don't always want to talk about themselves, but in an autobiography they have to. Thank you for your good luck wishes and the best to you too.

lallyg Tue 24-Mar-15 13:04:05

I'm sure I read a thread on here once about how you told people to lighten up about wolf whistles. I agree actually. Did you get lots of flak? I have just ordered your book

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:05:50

Gagagran

I really enjoyed reading "Not quite Nice" and was impressed at the way the threads of the story came together. Theresa was especially believable. Did you go to the Riviera to do background research Celia? (I love that area and recognised your vivid descriptions) and did you base Theresa on anyone or is she a composite? Look forward to your next book - hope there is going to be one?

So glad you enjoyed Not Quite Nice - yes, I love Theresa too. She's a mixture of people I've met in my life, but some of the things she says are from real conversations I have picked up. Yes, I did go to the Riviera and I'm glad you enjoyed the vivid descriptions as much as I loved being there. Yes, there is going to be a book two when Theresa is going to open a restaurant.

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:09:25

Buddie

Really enjoying this book and can't wait to see how it all pans out - (hint to self: must organise more me time).

One thing that struck me from the outset was how very visual the descriptions were and it made me wonder if Celia has a particular interest in art or is indeed an artist herself, perhaps a painter? Although I have never been fortunate enough to visit the south of France I can easily picture the scenes from Celia's descriptions.

I have found the characters very easy to differentiate and also find them believable. I wonder if being an actor and having to create characters from the written word helps in reversing this process.

Thank you, yes life is too short. Do organise some more time for yourself. You're right, I love art and I completely understand why great artists such as Dufy and Matisse came to paint in the south of France, and I do try to paint one picture each visit. I think being an actor does help me to create characters I would like to play and writing the dialogue was my favourite part of the book.

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:11:27

GeminiJen

Hello Celia
Like Buddie, I was struck from the beginning at how visual your descriptions are and I wondered...Did you write this with a view to a stage/film adaptation, or possibly a mini TV series?
And, even if this wasn't in your mind originally, might that be an option worth exploring?

Absolutely right, GeminiJen, although making it into a screenplay wasn't in my mind at the beginning of writing Not Quite Nice, because of the beauty of the location I think it would be an extremely good idea. I will be exploring it.

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:14:44

janerowena

Hello Celia

I loved how much more realistic your book is than I had assumed from the cover, and yes, your powers of description are excellent. Obviously not everyone would have all of those experiences in such a short time period, but I have friends who have experienced most of them and many more besides! And several who have had their families move over when actually they had moved away to get some peace and quiet...

Did you use your friends' stories as inspiration? I often think I would like to, but am too afraid of litigation!

Actually, I love the cover Janerowena, but I'm delighted you found the story realistic and although I have been criticised for the behaviour of some of the children in the book, a lot of the conversations I have overheard are real, though the actual story is made up.

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:16:33

Stansgran

I had trouble getting into this book and found it difficult to picture people leaping out of upstairs windows starkers ! I read that Celia said that the south of France was a bit of a life saver. Do tell if this was book was based on experience and which character did you base on yourself? I'm a great fan of Celia as an actor and must read her biography.

You'd be surprised what people get up to in the south of France. None of the characters are based on me - they are mixtures of people I have met. Yes, do read my autobiography The Happy Hoofer and you might be surprised what I get up to.

CeliaImrie Tue 24-Mar-15 13:17:27

coffecup

Really enjoyed the book did you write it while in france or is it
just an idea as you write very vividly about france, would make a good film
i think.

Yes, coffeecup, I absolutely write nearly every word while I am in France, which is a luxury because its beauty surrounds me. I agree, it would make a great film.