Gransnet forums

Webchats

Winter deaths webchat with Dan Jarvis MP

(38 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Apr-16 18:16:53

UPDATE: Dan Jarvis MP has answered your questions further down on the thread, here.

We're pleased to announce gransnetters will have the chance to ask Labour MP Dan Jarvis their questions during his webchat with Mumsnet on Tuesday 26 April at 12.30pm. Dan is currently campaigning on excess winter deaths among older people.

The ONS estimates that 43,900 excess winter deaths occurred in England and Wales in 2014/15. The majority of excess winter deaths for both sexes occurred amongst those aged 75 and over, with women aged 85 and over having the greatest number of such deaths. (‘Excess winter deaths’ are calculated by comparing the number of deaths between December and March to the average number of deaths in the preceding August - November and the following April - July.) Dan’s aim is to find out why this is happening, and to persuade local authorities and other agencies involved in the care of older people to work together to address any gaps in services.

Before becoming an MP Dan served in the Parachute Regiment and was deployed to Kosovo, Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Iraq and Afghanistan. He was in the shadow cabinet during the last Parliament, most recently as shadow minister for justice, and is now on the back benches.

Please do add your questions to the thread below, and we'll post Dan's answers back on this thread after the webchat.

daphnedill Tue 26-Apr-16 01:13:28

Mr Jarvis, Do you think that excess winter deaths could be caused by other factors than just cold homes? Dark evenings and mornings are naturally depressing. People in isolated communities might feel less inclined to go out, so become even more lonely and depressed. Some people are obsessively frugal, even when they have money. Cuts to local services mean that some day centres and libraries have closed and some meals on wheels services have stopped. These were all people who could keep an eye on people. Poorer people tend to live in rented accommodation, which can often be poorly insolated.

Do you think that the current arrangements for winter fuel allowance and the fuel poverty rebates, which electricity companies make, are effective and efficient in targeting those who who need help?

DanJarvisMP Tue 26-Apr-16 17:19:32

durhamjen

How old are you whitewave? Not old enough to be included in these statistics.

My question for Dan Jarvis is:

How do you know when a woman over 85 dies that it is an excess death?
I thought statistics had always said that there are more deaths in January to March anyway.

Hi durhamjen,

Just to be clear, an "excess winter death" is a technical term and it's defined as occurring as a direct result of the cold, meaning somebody has died who otherwise would not have died.

DanJarvisMP Tue 26-Apr-16 17:20:54

JessM

Hello Dan. Many older people are living in poorly heated and poorly insulated homes, putting them at risk. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/357409/Review7_Fuel_poverty_health_inequalities.pdf
The coalition government cut back ECO funding (spinning it as "Green Taxes") despite the evidence that investing in home insulation can help prevent premature deaths in the winter and take pressure over the NHS.
I would hope that when we get a Labour government more money can be invested in this. It is a double win as improving energy efficiency is the most cost effective way of reducing carbon emissions.
Are you involved in developing Labour policy in this area? If not, who is?
While we await an election is there anything else that can be done by individuals?

Hi,

I'm very keen to contribute to a national debate about how we develop policy in this area and tackle the scandal of excess winter deaths. One of the reasons why I think there needs to be greater coordination, nationally and locally, is because this is an issue which cuts across a number of different areas, it involves health, local government, energy and many more.

That's why I think it's important that Government outlines a national strategy to better co-ordinate this activity, but also at a local level, councils have their own plans to make the most of the good work that is taking place locally.

I think individuals, where they have ideas, contributions that they want to make, should feed them into their local councillors and their Member of Parliament. This is a matter that I have raised on a number of occasions with the Prime Minister and I am heartened at the level of interest and I will continue to raise this matter in Parliament.

But also, all of us have a responsibility to keep an eye on those people in our communities, our neighbours, who might be considered to be vulnerable. I know that in my town of Barnsley there is a very close sense of community, which means that people do look out for their neighbours. This is perhaps something that is harder than it used to be, but is worth doing.

Doing this will undoubtedly save lives.

DanJarvisMP Tue 26-Apr-16 17:22:09

thatbags

Is the number of so-called "excess" deaths falling? For example, is the figure for 2014/15 lower by a significant amount than it was, say, fifty or a hundred years ago? And if so, can this pattern be seen in general with regard to this issue?

If the answer to those questions is yes, then I think we're on the right track.

A third question, if I may, why are you wearing a black tie?

Hi,

Unfortunately, actually the winter in 2014/15 saw a particularly high number of excess winter deaths (43,900).

The number of excess winter deaths varies each year. Over the last five years, we've seen years have 17,000 deaths and others in the 20,000s and others in the 30,000s.

Given the advance of technology and the fact that Britain, despite challenges, is still one of the richest countries in the world, it's unacceptable that we continue to suffer these very significant numbers of fatalities. By their very nature, these deaths are avoidable and more could, and should, be done both nationally and locally to tackle what is a national scandal.

DanJarvisMP Tue 26-Apr-16 17:22:50

durhamjen

Is it not better to persuade the government rather than local authorities?
The government is cutting the grants to local authorities so there is not enough money in the pot for them to do anything about it.

I think many people will be shocked to know that last year, 43,000 people died as a result of the cold. There are a number of ways in which we can reduce these numbers but I think you are right to draw reference to the fact that the Government nationally is reducing the amount of funding which goes to local authorities which will undermine their ability at a local levelt o tackle this important issue.

This is why it's essential that local government co-ordinates the effort that is taking place, bringing together the local authority, the NHS and clinical commissioning group, as well as the charitable sector.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Apr-16 17:30:37

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for posing your questions to Dan Jarvis. Sorry we couldn't get through all of them - we ran a bit short of time.

durhamjen Tue 26-Apr-16 20:01:58

Not very good, Laura.
4 questions answered from the age group that he's supposed to be bothered about.

JessM Wed 27-Apr-16 10:18:36

Not a very scintillating selection of questions either I think. But it's tricky area to do a question and answer section on. At least he's trying, unlike our current government who are not.

harrigran Wed 27-Apr-16 11:17:23

Poor show. I wouldn't be expecting any results from this MP.

durhamjen Wed 27-Apr-16 17:34:16

Who do you think GN ought to ask on here from the current government, JessM?
IDS doesn't have much to do at the moment, does he?

JessM Thu 28-Apr-16 10:00:19

Amber Rudd - Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change.
Energy efficiency measures are the most cost effective way of reducing carbon emissions and reaching our targets - but the coalition government cut funding for insulation and new boilers (So called Green Taxes - a tariff on the energy companies)
Her party has also cut subsidies for renewables (solar panels, wind turbines etc).
This despite the fact that power stations are closing and she has not definite plan in place to replace the electricity generation needs in the next 2 decades.
The back-up plan is a number of private companies that have secured contracts to switch on their large diesel generators (not good for the environment) and get paid premium prices for their electricity.
At the same time emissions from motor vehicles is so bad that we are contravening safety targets in some city areas.
I think we could give her a run for her money, don't you?
And then we could invite:
Theresa May so we could give her some grief about child refugees in Europe, particularly the unaccompanied ones, some of whom have grandparents and other families in the UK, willing and able to accompany them.
And the way women seeking asylum are being treated in Yarlswood.
And Ms Morgan who is insisting that all schools should be turned into academies for no education-related reason.

durhamjen Thu 28-Apr-16 16:09:45

The past three days I have been studying climate change with my grandson.
Today we looked at the DECC website, and at a pdf to see if they had lived up to the Kyoto commitment. We read it online.
In the first ten pages of it, there were three blank pages.
They do not understand, do they?
I wonder how many copies were printed off with all those blank pages?