Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

has anyone on a zero hours contract, it seems I may have to do this.

(42 Posts)
bikergran Fri 28-Aug-15 17:39:10

Just wondering if any grans or anyone really has worked on the "zero hours contract" I have been Job center today and my support worker (cough)! has sent me email and advised me that a certain large company are getting ready to advertise for xmas staff next week and the way she was talking I am expected to apply! but she did say it may be on a Zero hours contract.

I have read up about the zero hours, and it seems a bit hit n miss, not much use to me really as need regular set income when I do eventually get a job.
But of course it is a notch for the jobcenter as they will have in their way "found me a job"

annsixty Fri 28-Aug-15 17:52:19

I wouldn't be too quick to turn down a temp job over the Xmas season biker it is an earner for the hols and they will be the ones to end the contract so you will not fall foul of the DSS.Also I have known several people who have been taken on permanently.

bikergran Fri 28-Aug-15 18:09:32

Yes ann it did cross my mind, that maybe there would be something more permanent later, If I am offered a zero hours job then I don't think I can! turn it down as I think I am expected to take it whatever hours they offer me.

If it is under the £73 a week then I will have to do the zero hours and still go to the job centre, if it is over the £73 (£80) for instance then I come off jobseekers if I have got ti right,hmm

annsixty Fri 28-Aug-15 18:21:54

Without wanting to advertise it was Boots and M&S who appointed temps to permanent jobs but it was before zero hours contracts. It was either full or part time. Good luck anyway, fingers crossed for you.

bikergran Fri 28-Aug-15 18:28:10

thanks ann smile

tanith Fri 28-Aug-15 19:06:53

I agree with the others that it may lead to a permanent job , hope so anyway good luck with it.
My daughter who has had her 12hrs a week contract now for almost 2yrs that fits in with school hours, she does 3x 4hr shifts and still has to job search and sign on each fortnight , they told her yesterday that as the company she works for won't offer her more hours she has to quit the job and find one with more hours... she was almost speechless and then said so you would prefer me to be jobless again than continue in this low hours job whilst I search? The woman inferred that she would be more incentivised (is there such a word?) if she were jobless... MADNESS!

bikergran Fri 28-Aug-15 21:53:39

tanith it doesn't surprise me at all...I am all new to this so still learning! hmm

durhamjen Fri 28-Aug-15 22:50:54

I thought everyone knew that if you are in work it's easier to get another job.
I also thought that if you gave up a job, you did not get benefits straight away. Tell your daughter to check that very carefully. She could be sanctioned if she gives up a job.

durhamjen Mon 31-Aug-15 00:00:20

Hope you are not offered an apprenticeship, biker. The pay is atrocious.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mad-apprenticeship-targets-have-consigned-a-generation-to-lowskill-lowpaid-duties-10479123.html

Just being facetious. You are lucky you are too old to be offered these jobs.

suzied Mon 31-Aug-15 07:21:13

My youngest daughter signed on after uni when she was looking for a job in the recession. She volunteered to help in a primary school on a regular basis as she was thinking of training to be a teacher and thought she would have more chance of being taken on as a GTP trainee if she had hands-on experience. The job centre told her that she should stop volunteering as she was "too busy" to find a job, plus she wasn't available to go on one of their useless courses.(. She didn't take their advice and is now an assistant head teacher)

FarNorth Mon 31-Aug-15 08:21:30

If you actually get zero, or very few, hours in any particular week do you get any benefit for that week, does anyone know?

Skyjoe4 Mon 31-Aug-15 08:34:36

My friend has been on a zero hours contract and it finished a few weeks ago. Thankfully he had regular work which more than paid his bills.
The issue came when the contract ended, our area now does UC for all new claimants and it was five weeks before he got anything. The pay prior to that had totally mucked up and he was getting "threat of eviction" notices from the council.

So zero hours contracts are fine IF there is regular work and this continues.
Also great if you are taken on at the end off it.
Not so great if it all comes to an end though as getting benefits set up again seems a nightmare.
On the plus side you'd have plenty of on the job experience to show a new employer.

Hope that's helpful

jonnyald Mon 31-Aug-15 08:40:06

now the recession is over theres little to fear from a zero hours contract . most firms are now busy busy unlikely to get rid of you or cut hours

Gracesgran Mon 31-Aug-15 09:33:48

Jonnyald - where do you live? The recession is only over for a few.

Sorry I have no experience that will help biker but I am watching how you are coping and you are doing so well in such adverse circumstances. flowers

Anniebach Mon 31-Aug-15 09:41:05

The recession is over ? most firms are now busy,busy? Then why are zero contract hours still so popular with these busy,busy firms? surely they want full time staff .

Anniebach Mon 31-Aug-15 09:48:19

An apprenticeship in cleaning a warehouse or shelf filling ? Certaintly explains the governments pride in their apprenticeship scheme and cuts the unemployment numbers too.

Surely not even the most ardent Tory supporter can claim this is fair treatment for the young

bikergran Mon 31-Aug-15 09:50:11

Hi all....durham thank goodness something is going my way smile

Thanks Grace smile

Have applied for 3 jobs so far 2 cleaning jobs, 1 retail (not heard back form any as yet that was 3 weeks ago) I had! to apply! hmm

Applying for one tomorrow form big retailers taking on xmas staff! so we shall see.!

Universal Credit is being rolled out, apparently if your on UC (around £73 a week) if you go and earn any money , say a little job that pays £50 a week I think(don't quote me on this) that they just take the £50 of your universal credit and you end up getting £23 UC.

As I said in another post, one girl on my Digital Upskills Course (sound impressive ehhh) got 10p ! a week Jobseekers as that was the difference between what she earned and what she rec Jobseekers.

Not sure if there are many Grans in this situation, I am only in it really because of the change in Pensions ages, normally I would be getting my pension as I will be 60 this year.

TerriBull Mon 31-Aug-15 10:16:37

After my younger son graduated from university he came back home and picked up with the job he had during and after A levels. This job was ok then. Being a sales assistant in a fashion chain was not part of his long term plan, but needs must at the time. This chain was owned by a greedy bugger who also has sports shops and I believe a football club and likes his staff on zero hour contracts. He was expected to work all sorts of unsocial hours, which he complied with, the unsocial hours were often outside the shop's opening hours as stock was delivered late at night and staff could be sorting it till the early hours of the morning sometimes. The last straw for him was working an early morning shift on Christmas Eve something like 7am to 2pm, and an hour after he got home he was asked to come in that same day, working 10pm till 4am Christmas morning to receive stock and arrange it for the sales. He refused, he already had other plans in place, the shop manager texted him along the lines "it may not be much of a job, but you are lucky to have it!" He texted back "you can keep the job I'm resigning" After that he got down to some serious job searching and was a few months out of work and then got two offers in the same week. He now works for a publishing house in London where he is happy. He has told me when a couple of colleagues there were moaning about temporary long hours for a book launch, although not that long I gather, he said to them if you had ever worked on a zero hour contract in a trashy shop which involved at times working till the early hours of the morning, it would put these hours into perspective.

It's not all bad news, I do think some employers like to see University graduates have done menial every day jobs rather than float off on expensive gap years at their parents expense. My son did get that feedback from his present employer.

Anniebach Mon 31-Aug-15 10:32:50

Terribull, it's great your son went on to find work he enjoys. What of the young who have no choice but to stay in the employment that your son was able to move on from , so wrong that employees can be treated this way

posie Mon 31-Aug-15 10:36:18

Hope you get something sorted soon bikergran it's stressful & unsettling isn't it? I still think it's very unfair for us & others in similar situation! Fingers crossed here for you.

I'm on a flexible contract, so although I'm only guaranteed work for 12 hrs over wkend I have to be available at other times if needed.

TerriBull Mon 31-Aug-15 10:50:42

Yes I agree Anniebach. I really hate the way, Amazon, for example treat their staff.

Anniebach Mon 31-Aug-15 11:03:45

It is allowed Terribull , as long as unemployment figures are brought down the conditions of employment are of no importance - except to the poor employees

TerriBull Mon 31-Aug-15 11:17:47

I'm not very happy with restaurant chains who are keeping staff's tips, even if it's just a percentage, the tip is not intended to go the restaurant, the tip is given for the service to the relevant member of staff. It's unusual to get bad service, in which case we don't leave a tip. We always ask the waiter/ress if the tip goes to them, and if not, we won't add it to the credit card. We have started to make sure that we have some cash on us and then we can give it to them personally.

TerriBull Mon 31-Aug-15 11:21:58

Cote is keeping tips I gather, a shame, it's a favourite place for meeting up with a close friend for lunch, I think many people will be annoyed with them.

durhamjen Mon 31-Aug-15 11:27:00

Sports Direct, Terribull?