Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Warning poem by Jenny joseph

(9 Posts)
silverlining48 Sat 27-Jan-18 11:09:01

I read today of the death of jenny joseph who wrote warning, An amusing upbeat poem about getting old and wearing purple. Apparently she didn't like the very poem much and certainly didnt like purple, but i did and do. Rip jenny.

henetha Sat 27-Jan-18 11:11:27

I love that poem too, and the sentiment in it. When I go out in a minute I'm going to wear my purple rain jacket and carry my red handbag. (I don't have a red hat).

Greyduster Sat 27-Jan-18 11:32:27

Yes, me too. I have it in a couple of anthologies and often come across it. I didn’t know she had died; that’s sad.

Greenfinch Sat 27-Jan-18 11:52:14

I read it to my DGD the other day because she commented on my wearing purple.She is now looking out for the other signs.

lemongrove Sat 27-Jan-18 12:12:05

I’m going to spend all my pension on brandy and butter.?

merlotgran Sat 27-Jan-18 12:37:52

Didn't like the poem but I'm sorry she has died.

RIP

MrsAllboys Sat 27-Jan-18 13:10:54

RIP. I didn’t know she had died. When my DS2 was 11 he came home from school and said he had been reading a poem that reminded him of me. Oh? I replied, interested (and ready to be flattered). He told me the title, hesitated and then said “I don’t mean it in a rude way mummy, but you are a bit eccentric aren’t you”. I didn’t know the poem and immediately looked it up....wasn’t sure whether to be annoyed or amused, amusement won!!

Niobe Sat 27-Jan-18 19:50:11

I love that poem too. There is a Red Hat Society that women can join and they organise outings, events etc but there is not a branch near me.

Anniebach Sat 27-Jan-18 20:07:56

I like the poem, my daughter bought me a purple hat on my 60th birthday

RIP Jenny Joseph