Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to create a little quiet corner?

(2006 Posts)
Notsogrand Wed 08-Jun-11 13:53:42

I thought I'd make just a little quiet place to sit and sing 'la la la' inside my head.
It's a special place where no-body gets hold of the wrong end of the stick and no-body feels insulted or marginalised.
La la la........
smile

Notsogrand Fri 10-Jun-11 22:37:59

Nice to have some company! Have come to the quiet corner to have a gentle simmer about BT and lousy internet connection, but I'll simmer to myself and not disturb the peace smile
I've had the one wine allowed on my gransnet diet, but under the circumstances, and as it's Friday night......I may have another.

Libradi Fri 10-Jun-11 22:42:17

Hi Notsogrand, nothing more annoying than poor internet connection...

Notsogrand Fri 10-Jun-11 22:51:08

Has taken ages just to post this reply! Never mind, while it was loading I topped up my glass. I wouldn't mind, but I only recently upgraded broadband package with increased speed. I'm sure I'll have an interesting chat with BT on Monday.

< wanders off to light another candle and take deep breaths >

supernana Sat 11-Jun-11 11:53:15

BecauseImWorthIt...many thanks for your good advice. It's all very simple once you get the hang of it.

JessM Sat 11-Jun-11 19:51:39

Hi guys. This looks like a cosy nook. I'd like to share that I had a lovely conversation with a charming man on an Indian BT call centre who volunteered to do the 2 things I wanted - I didn't need to ask. Anticipated my every whim. How life enhancing is that. Gorgeous David Austen roses in my garden, so I will pick a big bunch for us all to enjoy shall I? Pink, peach and gold.

Notsogrand Sat 11-Jun-11 21:17:21

The roses sound lovely JessM. I used to live in Norfolk a short drive from David Austen...stunning roses!
Happily, my BT Broadband connection is now working properly. I too spoke to a charming person at their call centre. They were unable to help and I was advised to monitor the situation for 48 hours. A young relative told me that BT monitor Twitter. I tweeted a complaint about BT at lunchtime and it was re-tweeted later by someone else. Returned home at tea-time to find everything working perfectly and a fantastic Broadband speed.
That's nice isn't it? smile

jogginggirl Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:37

And I'm in France (just for a few more days) with newly installed fast speed broadband - I love that I can keep up with you all and refill my glass hardly without effort!! Normally in my " real" home I live quite close to David Austen roses so am enjoying "smelling the roses". Happy days :-)

harrigran Sat 11-Jun-11 22:28:08

Problems with slow connections are usually just due to the hub updating. I have BT infinity and it is great.

grannyactivist Sun 12-Jun-11 00:42:38

I go away for just a few days and whilst my back is turned you all get together to share loveliness and peace without me - please may I come in and join you? I am much in need of both after a long drive home from a visit North of the Border, where I encountered a strange land named 'Motherwell'. I would, of course, like to make a contribution to the 'goodies' on offer in the shed, but have brought only battered deep fried lettuce and cucumber home with me, so I think perhaps I'd better not offer it around. Unless there are any Scottish people here who would like a taste of home?grin
I'm so glad that my lovely long lost twin baggy has already dealt with the candle situation as I too have the same difficulty.smile

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 06:20:32

Welcome back, GA! Looks like the Scots had it right first time with the battered lettuce and cucumber — only safe way to eat the stuff with E-coli on the march. wink Yes, I know I'm wicked but the last (admittedly media-published so probably wrong) statistic I saw suggests a death rate of 0.73% (less than 1 in a 100). I don't know what the usual rate is for this kind of bacterial infection but this doesn't sound like a plague to me. And yes, I know it's terrible for the people affected and their relatives but, to put it bluntly, as is my wont, this is how life works. It annoys me that the media whip a frenzy of panic about every bloody thing! Look at the damage that has been done to Spanish farming. Most of my sympathy (but not all, obviously. Sorry to state the obvious, but it's so no-one gets hold of the wrong end of the stick — not to mention the fence-throwing antics we have seen elsewhere!) goes to them.

And no, we never will beat all the nasty bacteria because they evolve to cheat our traps — because that's how life on our dear beloved planet works.

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 06:22:19

Oops! Forgot this was the quiet area! I'll go and sit in a corner with my knitting.

pompa Sun 12-Jun-11 07:17:20

Good morning BtC, woke with a headache this morning, so thought I'd try the Quiet Corner for a while. Please don't make too much noise with those needles smile.

Perhaps we need a sound proof, "Rant & Rave" room, what do you think ?. Be a good place to de-stress.

Grumpyoldwoman Sun 12-Jun-11 08:58:53

Is it okay if I just curl up in the corner ..mind, I might not want to leave.
I will be very quiet.sad

Notsogrand Sun 12-Jun-11 09:34:13

I like the idea of a soundproof rant and rave room in our quiet corner. I could have used it yesterday instead of disturbing the harmony of the corner ranting about BT.

Go ahead and quietly curl up Grumpy, you can stay as long as you like.

harrigran Sun 12-Jun-11 10:29:22

I will just whisper this baggythecrust, my sister lives in Hamburg and the outbreak is awful for them. It is not just causing tummy upsets, these patients are requiring dialysis and it puts a strain on the system. Creeping out again smile

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 10:35:36

Thanks, harri. yes, I know. It is awful for those suffering. I didn't mean to decry that.

riclorian Sun 12-Jun-11 12:45:15

Hello everyone - PLEASE may I join you --- you all sound so nice and friendly . I love the poem by the way , just what I need at the moment So do you have a spare seat ??

supernana Sun 12-Jun-11 13:15:59

rilorian, come in and sit beside me. This is one of the best corners on Gransnet. I've made some nutty breaded cheese rolls and coffee. Would you care for some? smile

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 13:16:08

Yes, riclorian, come on in. I've just made some olive, onion and sage focaccia. It's still warm. Would you like some? Lovely with chablis.
Cheers, baggy

supernana Sun 12-Jun-11 13:19:03

baggythe crust...your picnic sounds far tastier than mine...and a glass of chablis would go down well. Any left in the bottle? wine

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 13:21:47

Oh yes, supernana, loads of chablis left. It's one of those bottomless virtual bottles! Bring your glass over.

supernana Sun 12-Jun-11 13:27:39

baggythecrust...what a splendid answer to all the problems of the world...a virtual wand to spread peace - a virtual pill to cure all ills - a virtual kitchen to feed the hungry...a virtual home for the outcast...there would virtually be no bounds to the good we could do...if only...

Notsogrand Sun 12-Jun-11 14:05:32

baggy your focaccia sounds superb...may I have a little bowl of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip mine in please?
I wondered if it was a bit early in the day for wine, then realised, it all depends which time zone you set your clocks to, so cheers!
I have brought a bottle of home made pineapple wine, so please help yourselves.

glassortwo Sun 12-Jun-11 14:08:19

Oh notso are we having another wine tasting mmm

Notsogrand Sun 12-Jun-11 14:18:57

The pineapple is quite crisp, I think you'll like it glass
I've also brought an experimental bottle of lemon balm wine. First batch...a nice bit of 'cling' around the glass....and very warming.
With the wind howling a gale and blowing all the drapes in our corner, something warming may be just the job.
Hope you like them. smile

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion