Gransnet forums

AIBU

Let down by a friend

(27 Posts)
Barrow Fri 01-Jul-11 09:28:57

This happened to me too. I had a "friend" who was always ringing me asking for help with one thing or another - on one occasion she rang me in tears and I dropped everything (I was in the middle of cooking Sunday lunch), drove 15 miles to her house sorted out her problem for her eventually returning home early evening to a very hungry husband! Then suddenly last year she stopped speaking to me, I called and emailed asking her what the problem was but she never replied. A mutual friend told her that my husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer - she hasn't been in touch to offer help or sympathy. Now I think I am better off without her and thinking back on our relationship it was always me who had to fall in with her plans and give support. I have found out who my true friends are. My advice just forget her - its her loss.

jogginggirl Fri 01-Jul-11 09:20:30

I don't know if I am being unreasonable but right now I really need my friends. A friend whom I have known for over 30 years is always saying that she is there for me, chats, phone calls, visits, support - so how come that whenever I reach out she actually isn't there. I'm struggling to know what to do with this - OH says maybe it's time to move on and stop being hurt and let down. I have been there for her on so many occasions over the years and have never minded because she is my friend - do you think it's time to let go?sad