Gransnet forums

AIBU

Donating Winter fuel allowance to the young unemployed!

(124 Posts)
glassortwo Wed 02-Nov-11 10:49:49

I have been listening to the local radio this morning and I am spitting feathers here on behalf of all the people who receive Winter Fuel Allowance being asked from a Charity to donate their allowance to the young unemployed!

When are the big fat bankers going to be asked to donate some of their big fat bonus to the young unemployed?

Annobel Sun 13-Nov-11 09:45:24

The suggestion came from a new charity, Fuel our Youth, started by three well-heeled over-60s, including the actor, Robert Powell. One of his fellow founders said:

“We are encouraging other over 60s who can do without their allowance to donate it to a new, nationwide charity that focuses solely on encouraging the older generation to help alleviate poverty and detriment in the younger generation.”

The important qualification there is 'who can do without their allowance', but how long will it be before the Government decides to means test the allowance and set the bar far too low?

fuelouryouth.org/?gclid=CJ7g6_Cns6wCFUFN4QodtRV39w

absentgrana Sun 13-Nov-11 10:21:18

Of course, the older generation would never think of helping the younger generation of its own bat, would it?

Barrow Sun 13-Nov-11 11:40:15

Why is it necessary to start yet another charity? I am sure there are charities already doing this sort of work or who could incorporate it into their system, instead we get a new charity with yet another set of "administrators" who have to be paid out of the donations received.

I think there should be, say, just two charities for each cause, one national and one local. So you would have a national charity for cancer and a local charity for cancer that way more of the donations would go to help the cause rather than pay wages and people could choose to either support the national cause or the local one.

I was involved with a large cancer charity and the amount of waste was amazing. People from Head Office (a plush office block in London) would make uncalled for and unnecessary trips to the regions and whilst not staying in the best hotels were staying in just the next grade down. One person even told me that she had arranged her visit as she liked the shops in my city and was going to get some "retail therapy"!

I now only donate to local charities where I know the administration costs are kept as low as possible so more money goes to the cause.

carosanto Sun 13-Nov-11 18:49:13

Please, when are they going to stop bashing us up? Time after time we 'oldies' who paid into the system (which cannot be said for so many young people now) are criticised for having: free bus passes, fuel payments, houses which are 'too big' for us, NHS resources, a need for care - honestly the list is endless.

The young seem to have totally lost respect for age, experience and wisdom and just look at the older generation as a burden. Excuse me - most volunteers I know, in many many different disciplines are of the 'older generation', so our contribution is key to the running of many many charities who would just not survive without our input. The average age of peeps in the volunteer sector is over 60.

The WF allowance recognises that many struggle with the constantly rising cost of just keeping warm, for which I give thanks. However, we are not burdensome freeloaders, and a drain on society. We DO contribute within the family, and within society and within our own communities. Let us, the 'older generation', remember that, and speak up for ourselves.

(I am going to half-nelson the next person who tells me I am not entitled because I am a drain on society!)

silver60 Sun 13-Nov-11 18:57:21

We are on a very low income here, on the basic package. My partner lost his job 3 years ago, he was 58, so he has to wait until he's 65 before he gets his pension. At present he is having Pension credit and I have my state pension, we still have a mortgage and money is really tight, we are really grateful to get this Winter-fuel allowance. So why should we donate this to Charity!...

We donate a monthly (small) sum to Cancer charity and will continue to even though every penny is counted here, we don't need to be told what to do with our money, we've both worked hard in the past and paid our taxes!

Annobel Sun 13-Nov-11 19:12:27

Actually, silver60, to do them justice, the charity isn't suggesting that you donate your WFA if you really need it. But I do think the distorted publicity given to their proposal has managed to work people up quite unnecessarily. So what's new?

glammanana Sun 13-Nov-11 19:20:03

Does anyone know why my DH received a letter stating the WFA of £200.00 will be paid into his pension account during the next three weeks and I have not received any letter at all,I was under the impression that when you where over 60 it was paid into your own pension account,I know that the amount I would receive would be £100.00 and DH would receive the same but I have received no notification of any payment in my own right.confused

jingle Sun 13-Nov-11 21:24:50

Ours just gets paid into our joint bank account. I think we both get a letter. Haven't had it yet this year. Perhaps yours will come in a day or two Glamma.

glammanana Mon 14-Nov-11 09:12:13

Will watch out in my post the next few weeks can't have Mr Glamma getting my share that will never do,it all goes into the same pot I know but I hate to be left out of anything wink

petallus Mon 14-Nov-11 09:54:17

No-one has ever told me I'm a drain on society so I think you've been unlucky Carosanto. No good denying though that improved health care means an increasing number of people living into extreme old age and somehow money has to be found to fund their care. Young people haven't had time yet to contribute much to society, especially if they can't find a job. A Conservative Minister whose name I can't remember was speaking on the radio last night and said 1 million young people are currently unemployed in this country and most new jobs are going to people from abroad. Hope I don't qualify for the half-nelson :-)

jingle Mon 14-Nov-11 10:00:06

Glamma grin

puddings1 Wed 16-Nov-11 19:33:16

Hi I am a bit behind on responding on this, but with my winter fuel allowance, I am still working and not in need of it so I give it to my three children.
I split it between them to help with the large winter fuel bill.
I would consider giving it to a pensioner who is not as active and lucky as I am.
Whatever next, its my decision to decide what I do with the meagre benefits I receive as a result of 45 years working not anyone else.
Keep warm!

Hattiehelga Fri 02-Dec-11 16:54:23

Wouldn't it be a good idea to stop the fuel payments going to ex pats who live in warm climates where they don't need heating? What do they use it for?

bikergran Fri 02-Dec-11 17:00:21

puddings1 that is kind of you ..smile yes I can see that is sort of distributing it to whom "you" decide and not having it decided for you! so that sounds better...my gas just went up £14 a month just before the fuel money went in the bank (wonder if they knew soemthing I didn't) tut!!

DAncer66 Sat 05-Nov-16 12:47:48

I think this is a thread that needs bumped.

It‘s that time of year again. Winter full payments.

The powers that be are trying to encourage people to donate their winter full payments.

I share mine with my daughter. In my eyes she needs it more than the young unemployed.

If you could afford to, who would you donate your winter full payment to?

Candlefran Sat 05-Nov-16 13:08:53

I like to have it, together with my free tv licence and bus pass. Makes me feel looked after. Any charity giving I may do is separate. Makes no sense I know. hmm

Christinefrance Sat 05-Nov-16 14:05:35

Hattiehelga it has been stopped for expats. It stopped regardless of where they live so we live in a climate much the same as UK but no allowance.

Auntieflo Sat 05-Nov-16 16:04:38

Last year DH donated his half to some charity or another, through our Church. I was madcross, not very charitable of me at all, but I would rather it had gone to one of our grandchildren

cornergran Sat 05-Nov-16 17:13:27

If I could donate it the money would go to the local hospice which receives no NHS funding at all. As we need the fuel allowance for the purpose for which it was intended I support them in other ways.

Eloethan Sat 05-Nov-16 17:35:45

I don't think older people should be made to feel guilty about receiving the WFA, but I don't think that - in this particular case - that was the purpose. I feel it was just a suggestion and an opportunity to publicise this new charity Fuel Our Youth.

People who receive it can, of course, decide what they want to do with it. Many will need it in order to supplement their fuel bills but those who don't may choose to help out family members or to donate it to a charity or organisation that they support. I really don't understand why people are getting so upset about it.

Eloethan Sat 05-Nov-16 17:54:34

I think someone said she was angry about this because the fat greedy bankers who have affected the economy and people's incomes should be responsible for making up the shortfall, not ordinary people. I absolutely agree with that sentiment, but if we wait for them to put their hands in their pockets we'll be waiting a long time.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Nov-16 18:08:24

Beware the link upthread - it is to a Chinese site.

It is a bit tedious really - the assumption that most elderly people do not need their fuel allowance is as crass as assuming that most young people squander their money on drink and drugs.

etheltbags1 Sun 06-Nov-16 22:50:59

This is my second attempt at this post, blasted tablet in a mood. I agree with most of you that its our business where we donate our money to (mine is 4 years away). However shops in our area brace themselves for a boom they take on extra staff for the rush of pensioners when fuel payments start. I have heard many people say they are keeping it for Xmas shopping. I do think it should be given as vouchers. I have seem older people spending like mad and the puzzling thing is that they are all less well off. If anyone paid my fuel bill I wouldn't waste it.