Gransnet forums

AIBU

War Horse

(36 Posts)
Oldgreymare Thu 12-Jan-12 18:37:43

I saw the 'trailer' for this film at the pictures/cinema (delete as you wish) yesterday. It made me reach for a tissue! What chance do I stand watching the whole film? sad

Yummygran Mon 16-Jan-12 10:44:46

I went to see the film on Friday. It really is brilliant and worthy of every accolade. It will make you cry but it shouldn't be missed. I came out of the cinema with mascara all over my face! It is an incredible story and Speilberg has triumphed again!

crimson Mon 16-Jan-12 13:04:29

This time last year we saw John Tams at a folk concert, and he was just about to fly out to America to work on the film. He came to our cinema to give a talk before the first showing of the film, but I forgot to book the tickets..they sold very quickly!

crossstitchgill Mon 16-Jan-12 22:59:06

The film was wonderful! I had a tear running down my cheek at the end but managed to wipe it away before leaving the cinema. The scenery was spectacular and the horses were well trained. I am glad I went. We saw John Tams at a folk club last November and he said there was to be a concert of the music from the stage show in March but neither of the London theatres which staged the show knew anything about it. I see from John Tams' website that the music is to be performed at the Sidmouth Folk week so I shall have to try and see it there.

pinkprincess Tue 17-Jan-12 01:48:17

Not to do with horses but WW1 in general.
My late MILs brother served in WW1 and was killed in action aged just 18. When my husband was going through his mother's things after her death we found a photo of her brother, in uniform, with his girlfriend. MIL had wrote on the back, '' My brother on leave from the war.He was killed when he went back''.It brought tears to my eyes. We did not know the name of his girlfriend but it must have been awful for her.

crimson Tue 17-Jan-12 05:49:17

So many young lives lost. Can't imagine what it was [is] like to be the mother of a son at such times. crossstitchgill; do you ever see Show of Hands at Sidmouth?

petallus Tue 17-Jan-12 09:04:07

I am going to tell DH about this film because he is fascinated by WW1 and always watching the old black and white footage. I think this might be because his father went to war when he was only 15 after being given a white feather. His father's father was also there. Grandfather did not come back, father did and went on to marry and have a large family but died when my husband (the 11th child) was only five.

crossstitchgill Tue 17-Jan-12 09:42:01

Yes, crimson, I have seen Show of Hands at Sidmouth several times and in several other places. I don't know whether they will be there this year yet.
When I was researching my family tree I found lots of information about my grandfather who I never met as he died when my father was a child. He came home safely but died at the age of 43. I thought it might have been from the effects of gas or something but it was a gastric problem. I also found that a distant ancestor won the Victoria Cross and got through the war, only to die in Alexandria in 1918 having just got married.

greenmossgiel Tue 17-Jan-12 20:41:47

Just been to see Warhorse. Really well done. Loved it and could recommend it to anyone. Sad as well as heartwarming! smile

MaggieP Tue 17-Jan-12 20:49:12

Me too greenmossgiel. We both were very moved and had tears. Having seen the stage version 18 months ago where we were blown away by it,we still found this film gripping and emotional. well done Spielberg for his interpretation.

Nanban Thu 02-Feb-12 07:41:02

Completely gorgeous film - I was expecting the usual graphic blood and guts and was so pleased they got the message across without.