Gransnet forums

AIBU

War Horse

(35 Posts)
GoldenGran Fri 13-Jan-12 16:46:58

Loved the play, and going next week to see the film with a friend whose husband won't come because he will cry. I think a lot of people feel the same, Ariadne, I will take tissues.

Ariadne Fri 13-Jan-12 16:07:09

I don't think I can go to see it; the book made me cry enough. What a wimp!

gracesmum Thu 12-Jan-12 21:10:10

And the chicken!! Wasn't the chicken hilarious? I absolutely agree that the horses and the FOALS (aaaah) looked so real, capturing the ESSENCE of horse!

Seventimesfive Thu 12-Jan-12 20:51:25

gracesmum I saw the stage production last year and was spellbound by the horses too. While the story was moving I was captivated by trying to work out how the horses worked! I saw another production by the same puppet company at the Cottesloe at the National last year. Can't remember what it was called but it was about two gay men and their story over about 30 years. Also very moving, in some ways more so, and all done with puppets! Am a bit reluctant to see the film. Will probably wait until it comes out with Lovefilm.

gracesmum Thu 12-Jan-12 20:15:17

I saw the stage production a couple of years ago and the puppets were what made it. Michael Morpurgo's story, while charming and moving, is slight, but the puppet horses were simply incredible. I am afraid that Spielberg will have made an excellent film but a very different film.

YOU WILL CRY

As the lights came up at the National, there was a lot of harumphing and nose blowing by grown men,while women and children (and DH who is a sensitive soul) just let the tears flow!!

Henrietta Thu 12-Jan-12 20:14:10

I have a friend who owns a horse and loves animals and she refuses point blank to go to this film. She says it would be far too upsetting for her to watch what happens to the horses during the film even though she is perfectly aware that it is a story and will probably have a happy ending.

crimson Thu 12-Jan-12 19:42:36

There is another book called 'Warrior' which is a true story of a horse that survived the First World war [he took part in the last ever cavalry charge] and was taken home by his owner, where he lived to the grand old age of 33 [I don't really want to say why it was 33, though...]. If anyone remembers the BBC landmark series 'The Great War', perhaps, like me, it was the sight of all the dead horses that was the most moving. By the way, one of the horses playing 'Joey' was in Seabiscuit; if anyone thinks it's just a film about horse racing it is far more than that..it is a horse from the wrong side of the tracks becoming a superstar in America during the depression, and lifting peoples' spirits. I shall cry all the way through War Horse, but it doesn't matter because everyone around me will be crying too!

Pennysue Thu 12-Jan-12 19:14:24

I read the book it is based on and it was heart breaking and made me cry.

My Grandfather served with the Royal Horse Artillery during WW1, not that he ever talked to us about it, but he did get out some photographs when my DS was about 7 and wanted to go into the army. Horses in the mud etc. (No really terrible pictures but enough to make you think).

Funny seeing you Grandad as a handsome young man in a uniform and he was only 16 when he went to France. By the time his mother "found" him he was nearly old enough to be there so stayed.

Son still became a donkey walloper.

Anne58 Thu 12-Jan-12 18:41:20

Apparently it does have a happy ending, although I think I would probably cry during it!

Oldgreymare Thu 12-Jan-12 18:37:43

I saw the 'trailer' for this film at the pictures/cinema (delete as you wish) yesterday. It made me reach for a tissue! What chance do I stand watching the whole film? sad