Gransnet forums

AIBU

How much is too much?

(71 Posts)
RuislipNan Sat 07-Apr-12 12:48:47

Both my daughter and her partner work anti social hours so they rely on myself and my ex husband for (free) childminding for their 2 children.
They live an hours drive away and I originally agreed to help them out one afternoon/evening a week, every other weekend and some of the school holidays. But this time is gradually creeping up (I pay for my own petrol and buy food and clothes for the children).
Many years ago I took a part time job in a school in order to have the holidays off with my own children, I am now staying in the job because it fits in with my daughters working life.
Am I being unreasonable by telling them that now (after divorcing) I want to look for a full time job (I’m only 53) and won’t be able to look after their children during the week any more?
How much free childminding is too much?

Greatnan Sun 08-Apr-12 09:58:50

I would, if need demanded. Faeces are very biodegradable.

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 10:02:03

Why not? It's a bloody useful skill to have! wink

Been thinking.... re nostalgia for outside loos.... you could go the whole hog bog and have an earth pit or the modern version of that, a composting toilet, and then you'd get the full whack nostalgic experience with pongs as well.

Do it! grin

Greatnan Sun 08-Apr-12 10:05:24

When we were evacuated to a tiny village during the war, we had a 'tippler' lavatory outside. One the bucket was full, it tipped the contents down a 'long drop' where I presumed it degraded eventually. It was not a cess pit or a septic tank, which I have had in France. It did smell in summer, though.

petallus Sun 08-Apr-12 11:03:21

I may have been sitting on the outside lavvie but I was looking at the stars!

You needed the hole in the roof to do that.

I'd go with the hole in the ground (plank across the pit I assume) but our back garden slopes steeply upwards so even sitting there for a cup of tea feels like being on stage.

Anyway, why is it okay for us to leave our faeces about when dogs can't?

specki4eyes Sun 08-Apr-12 11:09:39

Yes I take your points and perhaps the young parents I see when I'm in England are higher earners and therefore more privileged than most. Mea culpa. But - I saved my family allowance to buy my kids' clothes; I didn't have a dishwasher; I bought furniture from the small ads; I drove a beaten up old mini .. I won't go on though I could!

But nothing would have made me expect my own mother to give up her day to day life to care for my children! She had done her 'bit' with me and my brother and in my opinion was entitled to have her own life. That is my real point - it seems expected now that Grans commit to grandchild care. I know that if I still lived there, my DILS would expect it of me. So I'm staying here smile. What a wicked old bag I am!

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 11:10:50

People usually don't leave their droppings on paths. People usually only shit outside when there's no alternative. I'm not saying it's a good idea generally (in fact it's a health issue in many parts of the world), but if you're going to be nostalgic about freezing cold outside loos.....

Well, I couldn't resist!

Sometimes, when DD was a baby and we were at the allotment, I'd hold her over the compost heap, then bury the results deeper in the heap. No harm done.

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 11:13:18

speki, I'll join you in the Wicked Old Bags Brigade (WOBBS Away! wink) though I suspect both of us would do anything we could in an emergency. Like you, I brought my kids up to live indepenedently from me though once they were adults.

Ariadne Sun 08-Apr-12 11:28:04

It was when I too went to grammar school that I realised how little money we had, Greatnan. My mother was a great one for keeping up appearances, and she made sure that I didn't have the local accent, so at my little back street primary school I was considered posh. Always the one who narrated in plays etc. Bit of a shock to the system to discover another world of relative affluence!

It took me a while to realise that you can, actually, just be who you are! And what a relief it was.

petallus Sun 08-Apr-12 11:29:22

I do the odd bit of child minding for the youngest aged 6. But at 69 I am retired. If I was still working DD wouldn't expect me to give up my job.

I think I might qualify for the WOBBS. Little GS went down with chicken pox yesterday. As I am taking prednisolone I am advised to avoid contact with anyone with this ailment. That means I can't do any child minding next week (second of the school hols). I love little GS to bits but can't help feeling .... not relieved exactly, but more time for reading?

As an added qualification, a year ago I took on the family rabbit. Sometimes little Basil lies very still in his hutch, not moving when I open the door. I start to think he might have died in the night. A bit of me feels unburdened.

Ariadne Sun 08-Apr-12 11:34:40

Whoops, wrong thread! Sorry folks, will copy it over!

Ariadne Sun 08-Apr-12 11:40:01

No it wasn't. Will have lie down in darkened room.

Butternut Sun 08-Apr-12 11:47:22

Think the concept of WOBBS is brilliant! grin

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 12:05:20

This Wicked Old Bag(itha) is going to do some work outside and will join the rest of you again later. Ciao!

PS Happy Easter, everyone!

Annobel Sun 08-Apr-12 12:11:06

I think I might easily qualify as a WOB. wink

glammanana Sun 08-Apr-12 12:26:37

This WOB is signing off for a while to go and cook Sunday lunch at DDs for the family,8 adults and two little ones so I'll be back later tired but happy.

Pennysue Sun 08-Apr-12 12:41:37

WOBBS - I am definitely one - always here in an emergency (there have been a few) but (apart from helping aged P) want to do the things I have never had time to do now working only part time.

jeni Sun 08-Apr-12 13:10:29

petallus my 9/12 GD has it as well. If you're on steroids you must keep away until the last scab has fallen off! Have a nice rest!
I'm going up to help tomorrow!
sunshine

yogagran Sun 08-Apr-12 13:19:35

Please can I join WOBB, do I need to send in a reference or will my word do!

harrigran Sun 08-Apr-12 13:26:37

specki not having a dishwasher is not being poor nor is driving a beat up old mini. If you could afford to drive any kind of car, tax and insure it you were still better off than others.
Try living in an unheated building, no car and not enough money for bus fares and we are referring to most of the people I knew when I first got married.

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 13:27:16

Your word will be quite sufficient, yoga.

Hey, do we need a WOBS AHOY! thread?

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 13:35:01

When you say unheated, I presume you mean not centrally heated, harri?

Anagram Sun 08-Apr-12 13:57:39

Nobody I knew had a dishwasher when I was a young mum! And I couldn't afford to drive anything! (Nor the lessons...)

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 14:05:08

I still don't have a dishwasher. Don't particularly want one either. Bought my first car from my brother on privately arranged HP (he's an accountant), paying him a little each month over two years. The kids were eight and six by then. I had that car for nineteen years. It died of body rust and old age though the engine was still fine. [nostalgic]

Anagram Sun 08-Apr-12 14:08:12

I still don't have one either, bagitha! For a start, I don't know where we'd put it - there isn't any spare space in the kitchen.

bagitha Sun 08-Apr-12 14:11:47

There is a space for one in my kitchen but it's where I keep all the recycling boxes and the rubbish bin and the compost bin. Where do people put stuff-that's-on-the-way-to-the-wheelie-bin in posh kitchens?