Gransnet forums

AIBU

............to create a quiet corner.

(489 Posts)
glassortwo Fri 11-May-12 13:02:37

Its been a while since notso corner was in use, maybe now would be a good time.

Come on in........ I am just dusting things down and have the kettle on.

soop Mon 15-Oct-12 17:04:24

I echo Marelli's message dear Littlenellie

Marelli Mon 15-Oct-12 16:29:27

Littlenellie, if you're still looking at us on all the threads, and you've had a change of name for whatever reason - (maybe you just need that wee bit of space around you)? We're all still here and you can message any of us at any time. I hope you've not left us, and we'll be here for whenever you'd like to join in again. flowers xx

grannyactivist Mon 15-Oct-12 13:43:56

Aaah.....thanks Ana. smile

Ana Mon 15-Oct-12 13:27:58

I have an old toy dog left over from the GDs' tiny days which is lovely and squishy, and would be wonderful to stroke on your lap. I often give it a pat and a squeeze when I come across it...
Glad you're feeling a bit better, grannyactivist smile

grannyactivist Mon 15-Oct-12 13:22:09

Creeping into the quiet corner for a brew whilst waiting for my phone call to the Mental Health Team to be returned. Still not on top form, but better than last week and I'm up and dressed. smile Sadly my brain feels like cotton wool, but I do need to at least give the appearance of having some intelligence when I finally get to speak to someone. It's at times like this that having a cat to stroke would be quite handy - anyone got a spare that I could borrow? Have to be stuffed I'm afraid, I have a serious allergy to the real thing.

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 12:36:43

gracesmum Put your high standards on hold for a day and let him see just how awful the hob gets when it is not cleaned. If the fairies always keep it pristine, how does he know that it takes hard work?

annodomini Mon 15-Oct-12 12:34:35

.......but nice!

gracesmum Mon 15-Oct-12 12:22:56

gringrin ooh you are naughty!

Bags Mon 15-Oct-12 12:20:58

Dead mouse might do it wink

Bags Mon 15-Oct-12 12:19:55

soop grin

soop Mon 15-Oct-12 12:15:49

If you can find a wee heap of dust and things that have expired behind the sofa, sweep them up, pop them into the frying pan, place in cupboard...and see what happens! hmm

gracesmum Mon 15-Oct-12 12:09:40

Oh all of these - but I always give in because I would rather have a clean, fat-free kitchen and he would happily leave dishes and pots and pans until he actually ran out. Deep breath and get over it smile

Bags Mon 15-Oct-12 11:48:36

I like anno's suggestion of hiding the frying pan. It appeals to my sense of the wicked but good, what I call a Bertie Wooster approach [just feeling mischievous emoticon].

You could then say he can't have it until he promises to clean up and tidy up after himself.

All the above is whispered.

annodomini Mon 15-Oct-12 11:38:02

Have you hinted that grilled bacon is better for him than fried? You could line the grill pan with foil which would mean less cleaning. Hide the frying pan.

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 11:35:15

You could try moving all his stacked dishes to the space where he wants to do something with a suggestion that it is better to put them in the dishwasher directly and not clutter up a space intended to work on?

You could stand in front of the still-messy cooker when it is time to make his next meal and refuse to cook anything on it until it is clean because it will just burn on permanently? Before he cleans it, of course, not you. Does he know how to? If not, it is time for a lesson. It is not rocket science.

You could leave the cooker dirty next time you use because, clearly, he believes that whoever cooks is let off cleaning duty.

And he is wrong, it does not stick because there is too little oil, but because he has the heat too high, or is clumsy turning things.

gracesmum Mon 15-Oct-12 11:04:48

Please may I scream (quietly)? Yet again I have come downstairs to find DH has had his usual fried bacon, this time with a poached egg on a muffin so guess who has to clean all 7 rings of the cooker?? I do this on a daily basis - I have moaned, hinted, crashed about but he just says that if he uses less oil it sticks. I could do it for him and make less mess, but I really don't want to as I do everything. He has left the pepper mill on the table when it could go in the cupboard without the application of too much rocket science. The dishwasher is also a neglected little thing - he has stacked his plates up etc on the counter above and gone back upstairs for his shower. So I am going out to post some letters, take the car to get a new headlight and wonder if any of it will be put away by the time I get back? angryangry I am whispering so as not to disturb the quiet corner.

Oldgreymare Mon 15-Oct-12 09:48:10

Glass I echo those sentiments..... must get the bathrooms (well bathroom and cloakroom) done!

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 09:45:54

I can see her on the map, in between Dereham, Swaffham, and Watson. She did not send me a postcode, as far as I can see. It is my estimate of where she lives - looks as though it is in the middle of a field.

I think GNHQ is the best bet. Maybe they can pass on a message to her.

glassortwo Mon 15-Oct-12 09:43:26

I am coming into the quiet for a cup of tea before I start this hell hole, Monday mornings the place is like a tip.
Its sad that jingle and nellie have left, I hope they come back soon.

Butternut Mon 15-Oct-12 09:34:57

GNHQ are able to contact those gransnetters who have left I believe. Perhaps they may be able to help.

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 09:31:10

From the mapping exercise I could show you approximately where she lives, but I don't think she sent me her postcode by private email address. I shall have a look on the map to see whether she edited it herself. There might be a clue there.

annodomini Mon 15-Oct-12 09:17:29

That's a relief, Bags. Does anyone have the means to contact Nellie?

glassortwo Mon 15-Oct-12 07:47:27

bags thats good news thank you.

Notsogrand Mon 15-Oct-12 07:39:49

Thanks Bags, good to hear smile

Bags Mon 15-Oct-12 07:00:12

I'm happy to report that Pompa and Mrs Pompa are fine, if run off their feet by their lively grandchildren smile