Gransnet forums

AIBU

What was your favourite toy? when you were a child.

(86 Posts)
bikergran Sat 16-Jun-12 22:08:26

Whilst looking at my GS vast aray of toys/lego/star wars/cars/garages/robots/DS/X box etc etc it got me wondering what my favourite toy was when i was a child (im 56 now)
I think it was a metal cash registar with toy money..i loved playing shops..and I remember it had a " no sale" key on it...its was just like a real cash registar where the pounds/shilling and pence used to pop up when you pressed a key.also had a Muffin Th e Mule....(wish I still had them now, as would be collectors items)>>>.

fillygumbo Wed 20-Jun-12 18:29:50

Oh yesd bags I remember french skipping great fun

Anagram Wed 20-Jun-12 18:46:55

I remember those strap-on roller skates, too! None of your fancy boots in those days....grin

Annobel Wed 20-Jun-12 19:09:23

My granny, who lived round the corner, had a sort of wild extension to her back garden - originally used during the depression for chickens and the growing of vegetables. There was an Anderson shelter which we used as a den, a huge sycamore which was perfect for climbing and a big stand of blackberries which, of course, we feasted on. We cut sticks and made bows and arrows - luckily not very effective - to play cowboys and Indians. There was a field with a steep slope for sledging in the winter and we had my older cousins' big old sledge which my uncle had made in his workshop. Three could get on it at a pinch!
With all that on our doorstep, not to mention miles of beaches, who really needed toys?

Bags Wed 20-Jun-12 21:30:33

Ours was a bogie too! It did steer, a bit, but we crashed it quite a lot. It was made tough though so that didn't matter. grin

netgran Wed 20-Jun-12 22:20:03

Jacks and marbles and also my horse which was made out of a broom handle with a sock stuffed with rags for his head and eyes and ears made out of felt. Didn't have much money in our house when we were little but mum did her best god bless her.

Bags Wed 20-Jun-12 22:29:50

I made a hobby horse like that for my kids. We had it for years. I think I needed the broom handle for something else eventually.

glassortwo Wed 20-Jun-12 22:58:52

bags we called that skipping with elastic French skipping like filly

NannaB Thu 21-Jun-12 09:26:39

My mum had an old Singer sewing machine and I used the lid as a cot. I remember my sister and I were given identical dolls with beautiful red velvet capes. she called hers Vivian and I called mine Little Red Riding Hood. Don't think I had a lot of imagination back then!

kittylester Thu 21-Jun-12 20:51:37

I had a dog, much like a teddy, and my twin baby brothers had a puppy each. When one of my brothers dies, aged two and a half, his was buried with him. I kept mine until about 20 years ago when one of our bassets ate it! My brother (60 this year) still has his.

whenim64 Thu 21-Jun-12 21:00:20

kitty I'm sorry to hear your little brother died. How fantastic that your brother has managed to hang on to his puppy toy for all these years. My son has kept his teddy bear for 37 years (I had the dubious honour of collecting it from his smirking ex when they separated). I also have a basset who likes to eat the stuffing out of soft toys and the cushioned pads that I put in her basket - seems to be a basset thing smile

kittylester Sat 23-Jun-12 21:20:28

when my boys (!!) aged 41 and 39 in September both still have a teddy and a panda, respectively. The 3 girls have revolting blankies - yuk!

marilynclare Mon 23-Jul-12 17:25:37

I had a doll house I played with by the hour. I had a family of tiny dolls; just the mother and 3 children! No dad doll could be found! I sewed for the family and made curtains and rugs. I still have the furniture and my husband made me a little house a few years ago. The furniture was made by Renwal and it was so cute. The little drawers opened. The frig opened. The sewing machine needle actually moves up and down. I had very few toys and this was special. The first room of furniture I bought was for the bathroom! That may seem odd but at the time we did not have a bathroom (rural Iowa 1940's) so that room was one I must have longed for the most!

marilynclare Mon 23-Jul-12 17:29:10

All of my children had a blanket except one who had, and dragged with her everywhere, a little pillow. They were a source of comfort for a cranky child so bless those blankies and pillows! :-)

marilynclare Mon 23-Jul-12 17:31:18

That was supposed to be posted somewhere else! I'm new and making mistakes! :-(

Ella46 Mon 23-Jul-12 18:05:31

Hi Marilyn welcome to the madhouse! I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of posting on all the threads smile

numberplease Mon 23-Jul-12 22:01:01

Paper dress up dolls with paper clothes, kept me occupied for hours.

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 22:13:10

Oh number! You have brought back such memories - I'd forgotten all about that garden, I loved it! I'm 61, so perhaps it was only available for a short time, but those little shrubs and flowers!! Thanks for that smile

Anagram Mon 23-Jul-12 22:15:51

Number, please disregard my post! blush
Just realised I've responded to a post on the first page of this thread by fillygumbo, but never mind, hope she sees this.

harrigran Mon 23-Jul-12 23:18:26

My father made all our toys, cot, desk, chair,ironing board and airer and even a washing machine and wringer. I think my favourite was the pedal car that he made from metal and painted red, something special in 1947.

Micheal Tue 24-Jul-12 07:59:27

Message deleted by Gransnet.

whenim64 Tue 24-Jul-12 08:07:04

Reported for advertising on multiple threads

peaches41 Mon 27-Aug-12 20:20:54

I have no memory of having any toys, but I always got a Rupert annual from my grandma and Beano and Dandy annuals at Christmas. I never had a doll or teddy that I can recall.

My sister was born when I was seven, and can remember being so jealous that she had a doll, and I'm now in my late seventies and my bedroom has got quite a few dolls and teddies in it!

Marelli Mon 27-Aug-12 23:10:00

peaches, I used to get a Rupert annual from my grandma, too. One of my old aunties made me a doll - it was a black doll, and she gave him a beige cotton suit, his limbs being made from black thick stockings which were stuffed with kaypok (sp). His head was 'pot'. I loved him to bits. smile

numberplease Mon 27-Aug-12 23:55:43

Fillygumbo and Anagram, I had a garden of sorts as well, but mine was paper and thin cardboard, it would have been around 1950.

Gally Tue 28-Aug-12 01:21:42

Teddy Brown and Teddy Growler, Belinda a doll with hair (which I cut off so she had to go to the Doll's hospital for a transplant!), Rosemary a crying baby doll, Susie a black doll and Tinker Toy - wooden things with holes in them.