Gransnet forums

AIBU

Writing letters

(31 Posts)
Bags Sun 12-Aug-12 18:57:12

Emails can be as personal or as impersonal as you like, just like hand-written or printed letters. I used to write loads of letters by hand but can no longer write more than about a postcard's worth without it being too painful. Thank goodness for email, I say!

Do those of you who think email is impersonal find gransnet impersonal too? If not, what's the difference?

johanna Sun 12-Aug-12 18:46:22

Also have a stack of very nice blank cards, and I love it when there is a reason to use them.

Some people I know do not even send Christmas Cards anymore.
They do a round robin e-mail ( o.k. with a card they have created ), but that is not the same is it?
Others have told me they are not bothering with people they never see or hear from.
Which I think is a terrible shame. Christmas is a good time to let people know you have not forgotten about them, don't you think?

Our previous next door neighbour , whom we rarely saw or spoke to, unlike the present one, moved away to Cornwall and since then we exchange Christmas cards full of family news etc. How funny is that?

jack Sun 12-Aug-12 18:32:45

I have a stash of attractive blank greetings cards (as well as some beautiful old-fashioned Basildon Bond notepaper with matching envelopes) and delight in finding excuses to use this lovely stationery. This month I have posted some thank you letters, a "congratulations on your new baby" card and an RSVP to a wedding invitation. But, sad to say, I haven't penned any long, hand-written letters, as most correspondence is now confined to e-mail. However I would never send condolences via e-mail - much too impersonal.

Anagram Sun 12-Aug-12 18:24:34

We'll use the stamps up at Christmas probably, Maniac. Despite the decline in letter-writing, people still send cards.

glassortwo Sun 12-Aug-12 18:17:53

I have not written to anyone, my DH Aunt who died last year loved to get a letter and I would write to her but since she has gone, I dont write to anyone, thats sad isnt it.

Email sent loads but its not so personal.

I dont know who I would write to now!

Maniac Sun 12-Aug-12 18:04:54

How many personal letters have you sent/received in the last month? None I must confess.
On a recent thread mugnanny was advised by GNs to write (with pen and paper) a letter to her estranged daughter.Such communications are becoming rare in our computer age. I wonder if I will ever use up the postage stamps bought before the last price increase.
The postman's deliveries are very boring .Maybe we should start a 'Write a letter' day.What do you think?