Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mollycoddled children

(63 Posts)
Ariadne Wed 22-Aug-12 14:02:39

It's all a matter of "roots and wings" isn't it? My DGC all have chores to do according to their ages, and have the freedom I think they need.

DGD1 (16) has just had her first week in London and went to the YouTube festival and to the Harry Potter whatever with her friends. They were all staying with the family of one friend, so there were grown ups to hand. I applaud DD for letting her go.

But you always worry, don't you? I suspect that there are GNs at the other end of the spectrum to you maxgran, who are worried about the DGC having too much freedom?

JO4 Wed 22-Aug-12 13:53:04

Sounds like you did alright Maxgran.

No harm in a bit of advice. grin

maxgran Wed 22-Aug-12 13:52:48

Vampirequeen,.......... Thank YOU !
I totally agree.

maxgran Wed 22-Aug-12 13:49:55

I know, I know,.. Often it depends on personalities involved in families,.. we all tend to be a bit outspoken in ours and all have opinions !

I only spoke out because I feel sorry for the kiddies and because I allowed my own DS & DD a lot of freedom. I was always concerned when they were out and DID worry - but I always saw my role as preparing them to be independent from me.

When I think that it wasn't THAT long ago that people left school at 14 or 15 and were working, I find it amazing that a 14 yr old cannot be trusted to cut grass or iron a T shirt !

GREATNAN,.. I did apologise to them for sticking my nose in, but I did ask them to think about it smile

vampirequeen Wed 22-Aug-12 13:47:50

Oooops you said what we all think maxgran. Surely your daughters won't take umbrage forever.

You're absolutely right. Children are wrapped up in far too much cotton wool these days hence the worry about exercise. No one worried that we didn't get enough because we were always running about outside.

The evidence shows that children are no more at risk now from other adults than they were when we were growing up. It's just that the media make much more of it and frighten the parents more.

We have to let children have some freedom. They have to learn to take risks and sometimes they will have accidents. It's all part of growing up.

janeainsworth Wed 22-Aug-12 13:27:18

14 and 15 year-olds not allowed to cut the grass or use the iron! Your DD and DiL are making a rod for their own backs. They should teach them how to iron and how to use circuit-breakers.
I can understand their anxiety about 'going out'. The papers are just full of stories about children and young people who have been abducted. I heard on the radio this morning that a 14 year-old boy had been raped in the Arndale centre in Manchester at about 6pm one evening, by two men.
Surely it's better to teach children that there are dangers out there and how to deal with them.
But maxgran perhaps try and be a bit more subtle next timegrin

ninathenana Wed 22-Aug-12 13:21:53

maxgran I agree it was brave of you to speak up.

I must say I think your basically right. I agree with Petallus that today's parents are over protective. Not being trusted with an iron at 14 can't do much for the lads confidence ! My 21 yr old was doing his own ironing at 15.

Children/teenagers need freedom to stretch their wings.

I hope it hasn't caused too many problems in the family.

Ariadne Wed 22-Aug-12 13:20:56

Greatnan that is very much our maxim too, almost word for word - about opinions, I mean. Very hard sometimes, and maybe harder if you see them all every day?

janthea Wed 22-Aug-12 13:19:50

I never step into that bear pit!

Greatnan Wed 22-Aug-12 13:14:16

Grandmothers are entitled to their opinion - but not to express it! I would never comment on how my daughters raised their children. Can you apologise and say you just got carried away because you were so anxious?

Nonu Wed 22-Aug-12 13:10:47

I suppose it is difficult to find the right line to tread . However , they are the parents , I find sometimes I may make a little suggestion , and leave it at that

petallus Wed 22-Aug-12 13:08:50

Maxgran I think you went where angels fear to tread on this one.

I have noticed that today's parents are far more protective than we were. My opinion is that they are overdoing it.

I don't say this to my DD though (or at least not often)

maxgran Wed 22-Aug-12 13:06:19

I had a bit of a disagreement with both my DIL and my DD at the weekend because I said I thought they were overprotective of their children.
My DD has 4 children, aged between 5 and 15 and my DiL has a son from her first marriage who is 14 and my own 2 GSs with my son.

My DD has only recently allowed the 15 yr old to go out with his mates - and my Granddaughter the 8 yr old is not allowed to play out at all. The 8 yr old is always pleading with me to 'make' mummy let her play out !

My DiL will not allow my step-grandson to walk home from his Grandad's, which is less than a 3 minute walk away, if it is dark and he is not allowed to cut the grass or use an iron, amongst other things.

Our disagreement got a bit heated and then I told them both that they were being a bit selfish and it was all about 'them' and not their children because were more bothered about their own fears than they were about their children having some freedom.
Usually I keep my mouth firmly shut but I was absolutely fed up of them wittering on to each other about 'the dangers out there' !!

I think I was being unreasonable to stick my nose in,.. but I still think I am right in my view!.. ha ha