Gransnet forums

AIBU

to buy maternity wear in shops?

(39 Posts)
goldengirl Sat 25-Aug-12 21:00:28

Not for me I hasten to add, but my DD. Every clothes shop we visited eg Next, M & S, John Lewis, Dorothy Perkins, Monsoon, Sainsbury's [we got desperate!]....the list goes on and on had no maternity clothes on the rails - or just the odd bra and pair of tights. A manager in John Lewis told me 'we only sell maternity wear on line madam'!!!! What happens if you're not online or you want something for the evening or just to try on? We don't have a Mothercare locally but I guess that is going to be the only source of immediate supply. DD did manage to get some tops from New Look - online - and to their credit they came within 24 hours. But really..... Is pregnancy out of fashion? What do others pregnant mums do? I suppose this could be a question for MumsNet but I prefer the wisdom of GN. smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Aug-13 12:01:01

We've asked tech to remove this.

priyutwashington Mon 02-Sep-13 12:42:28

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

hummingbird Mon 02-Sep-13 13:03:31

My dear Auntie Joan made me a variety of huge smocks when I was pregnant, and then put zips in the front after the birth for breast feeding. Very attractive, hmmm!

As you can gather, I didn't pop back to my normal size in a week - it took three months before I could fit back into my jeans! #excusetostuffmyface blush

JessM Mon 02-Sep-13 14:00:31

Not unreasonable at all.
Gap do maternity lounging about things I think - so a big Gap might do maternity? They certainly sell babies and kids stuff.
You would think that big chain stores like H of Fraser, JL, M and S, Debenhams etc would find some space, given the B boom.
Here is a suggestion - if only on-line available, do a big batch of Click and Collect. Then take them into the changing rooms and try them on. If no good, return them immediately. Usually you can do this the day before and stuff will be in store next day. Money will go off cards of course, for a short period.

susieb755 Mon 02-Sep-13 15:35:19

I would recommend ebay if she isnt adverse to secondhand ! There are loads of really nice maternity things on there - my daughter did that so had a larger choice of clothes than buying a few at full price new

I barely ever buy anything new, neither do my children !

annodomini Mon 02-Sep-13 16:08:07

Presumably the baby expected in the OP is now almost a toddler!

ailsau24 Wed 18-Sep-13 19:50:35

My DD has had a job to buy anything halfway decent - H&M came up trumps otherwise everything we saw was quite old fashioned and even I (at nearly 52) wouldn't wear what was being sold. She also used ASOS online as well.

Cheriemamma Wed 22-Jan-14 10:24:23

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anne58 Wed 22-Jan-14 10:29:50

I think you need to ask HQ before advertising, Cheriemamma

maxgran Wed 22-Jan-14 11:32:15

I think they sell Maternity in New Look - I think you have to look for it - but it is there!

Gagagran Wed 22-Jan-14 12:06:10

They sell plus size in New Look online - and it's very well priced and decent quality. You need to discriminate obviously!

jameshenry Mon 24-Aug-15 07:26:06

Grannyknot Mon 24-Aug-15 08:14:39

Reported.