Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be cross about neighbours cat in my HOUSE

(112 Posts)
JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 13:31:40

Next door's cat has started wandering into the back door and making itself at home. Just chased it round the house and threw water over it (YES!) but it is bad enough when other people's pets invade the garden.
The other day it narrowly missed being locked into my house for a week - i would have not been pleased to return from holidays and find a dead cat ... but on the other hand...

numberplease Thu 27-Sep-12 23:07:04

I know I`ll get shot down in flames here, but personally, I love it if a cat comes into the house, cos I just love cats! But we are all allowed our own points of view, life would be so boring if we all thought and did the same.

Mishap Thu 27-Sep-12 20:56:11

There is a world of a difference between these nuisances in public places and someone else's pet coming into your own house! Not picking on cats - any sort of pet that did that would be unacceptable. Down to owners to take charge of their cats and deal with these situations if they arise. No-one is saying it is easy to put curb a cat - but if they cannot stop it doing it they should get rid of it. You cannot have others' pets making a nuisance of themselves in your home.

We had a local cat who would jump in the window and steal food off the table. Why should I have to keep my home all locked and shut up in the summer just because someone else wants to keep a cat!?

petallus Thu 27-Sep-12 14:08:49

Mishap I certainly see your point. However, it is not really very easy to control a cat in the same way that one would control a dog. That is, unless the cat is kept indoors 24/7.

I believe that although one is legally responsible for a dog, this is not the case for a cat, although of course you could argue people have a moral obligation.

But what about noisy chickens/cockerells, horse-riders who block traffic when they are out on the road, barking dogs, inconsiderate car parking, litter, and all of the other ways in which human beings annoy each other? Why pick on cats?

Mishap Thu 27-Sep-12 13:38:54

No - I am suggesting that they should stop them being a nuisance to their neighbours and if this is not possible they should not have them.

It is no different to saying that a heavy metal music lover should not be allowed to play this at full volume with open windows all day and night to the detriment of their neighbours' quality of life. We would suggest that the person gave up this practice without a second thought, but when an animal is involved then sense of proportion goes out of the window.

Keep a pet - fine. Allow it to be a nuisance to others (and in JessM's own home!!!) - definitely not.

petallus Thu 27-Sep-12 13:08:58

That's rather harsh Mishap. Are you seriously suggesting that all cat owners in this country should give up their pets?

Mishap Thu 27-Sep-12 12:33:25

Then don't keep a cat! If someone has an animal that cannot be prevented form being a nuisance to others, they should not have it in the first place!
Why should a neighbour tolerate this nuisance? - what right does the cat-owner have to inflict this on their neighbour? - none.

whitewave Thu 27-Sep-12 10:05:15

Can't be done with cats - dogs yes but not cats

Mishap Thu 27-Sep-12 10:03:44

JessM - you are not being unreasonable - pet owners have a duty to make sure that their pets do not cause a nuisance to others, even if achieving that is hard.

Anne58 Wed 26-Sep-12 19:45:54

I disagree that one is either a cat person or a dog person, I love both, but cannot have a dog at present.

With regard to other peoples cats coming in, many is the time that I have found Maurice bringing friends in for a few mouthfuls of cat biscuits (Fluff Gordon from next door was his particular friend, but has has passed on).

I would also add that at times of great sadness or even if I have been feeling particulary low, then certain ones would be very attentive in their own way, which I found some comfort.

PS Maurice had very soggy fur earlier today, as I cried all over him.

helshea Wed 26-Sep-12 18:54:40

I hope the cat that has been seen around these parts lately doesnt decide to enter my house... big and black, and apparently looks as though it should be prowling around a zoo! Scary but that's Preston for you!

annodomini Wed 26-Sep-12 14:22:27

When I had a strawberry bed, I would put grapefruit halves (after they'd been eaten) on it to deter cats - mine and visiting ones. I can't say they worked very well.

Lilygran Wed 26-Sep-12 14:10:05

I really love cats but don't have one at the moment. I really miss having one. But I accept you do need to really love them. Littlenellie is quite right. No-one has mentioned either the shredded upholstery or the hair balls. Which turn up in the strangest places.......

GraniSuz Wed 26-Sep-12 13:51:31

Cats are very territorial & clearly see your house as part of it. We have had many cats over the years but 4 years ago we adopted our daughter's whippet. The old 12 year old cat died of heart failure shortly after as we couldn't stop Daisy the whippet jumping on him. We are not going to have cats anymore!! Anyway our new neighbours cats do their business on our front lawn all the time. We do use a cat repellent which is citrus based but when it rains we forgot to spray it so the toilet cycle starts all over again. I can put up with it as the faeces can be put in dog poo bags & disposed of but I think I would have to draw the line at them coming into the house. Lucklily with Daisy around they never will smile but I do sympathise with you - NO you are NOT being unreasonable.

tattynan Mon 24-Sep-12 21:42:58

Cats don't like the smell of citrus fruits. You can buy a spray from the vet or pet shop that smells of oranges , you could spray it on the step to try put the cat off entering your home. Some people put orange peel down as a deterant too.

artygran Mon 24-Sep-12 11:00:59

Having read the last few posts, crimson, if I had been thinking about getting another cat, I think I'll give it a miss!

annodomini Mon 24-Sep-12 09:24:46

whitewave, eugh! Thank goodness I'd finished my breakfast before I read that.

whitewave Mon 24-Sep-12 09:10:11

We had a Persian a few years ago who developed a liking for peeing on electrical goods! Early one morning my husband with a very poor sense of smell made some toast, the ghastly smell woke me up and I tottered downstairs to find Hubby munching away on his toast - oblivious of the smell and presumably taste. Much merriment!!!

Littlenellie Mon 24-Sep-12 08:39:00

Dogs have owners,cats have staff...

annodomini Sun 23-Sep-12 23:04:41

Wash away the pee that is, not the cat. grin

annodomini Sun 23-Sep-12 23:03:04

One of my DS's cats pees in the bathroom sink - at least you can wash it away!

crimson Sun 23-Sep-12 22:24:53

My last cat used to wee on the cooker; it was green [fashionable at the time] and I often didn't know she'd done it till I turned it on. I'll never understand why she did it [she had a litter tray in the utility room]. Perhaps another reason why I didn't replace her. The sweetest little cat but she had the most disgusting habits [and was the worst bird killer I've ever known].

bikergran Sun 23-Sep-12 22:19:22

Well that frosty mornings have arrived here in Lancashire !.hence need to switch the car heater over to "hot" .....have you ever smelt the aroma of Tom Cat Pee wafting in throught the air vents after the local Tommy has sprayed his stuff up against the front of your car! shock yuk!

nightowl Sun 23-Sep-12 18:14:04

crimson my cat is short-haired but you would be hard pressed to tell whether he has any oriental breeding - he is the moggiest moggy you ever saw! But I love him dearly and he loves me. smile My little grandson loves him too but the cat runs when DGS appears sad

crimson Sun 23-Sep-12 17:30:28

Bit of a Catch 22 situation. Think the only thing that will deter them is getting another cat perhaps?

artygran Sun 23-Sep-12 17:01:04

I have always had, and liked, cats until my latest one died earlier this year. Since we moved here last year, I have never seen so many cats in one area. Some of them must be unneutered toms because the outside of my car, the planters in the drive, and the shrubs on the front lawn stink to high heaven of cats most of the time. It's very unpleasant. I've tried all sorts to deter them but to no avail. I am now going off cats in a big way.