Gransnet forums

AIBU

Prince Charles

(96 Posts)
Oldgreymare Tue 09-Oct-12 22:32:15

Am I the only person to wonder what has become of him, he seems to have disappeared confused

absentgrana Sat 20-Oct-12 19:34:08

Well, he's not a grandfather, although everyone seems to be assiduously watching the Duchess of Cambridge's belly. Of course, that wouldn't prevent him from joining Gransnet but he'd probably have to employ someone to type his postings for him.

Nonu Sat 20-Oct-12 19:32:42

I think the Guggenheim designed by Frank lloyd Wright is a fabulous building. sunshine

specki4eyes Sat 20-Oct-12 19:10:29

How about us persuading Charles to become a member of Gransnet? Then he could have a good old grumble with us; he could go in the grandads shed; he could be a pedant to his hearts content; he could get it all of his chest without the flak - how could we persuade him ? Second thoughts - how do we know he isn't already with us?!! smile

absentgrana Thu 18-Oct-12 09:10:01

What job? I know the Queen is assiduous in reading the contents of her red boxes but would it actually make one jot of difference to any of us if she never opened them at all? Probably not.

As for Prince Charles' letters, I suspect that government ministers are likely to take rather more notice of those of one Charles Wales than they are of those of absentgrana. The Attorney General's reason for their not being published is that they might prejudice his political neutrality when he becomes king and that they represent his process of educating himself to be king. The first reason suggests that the letters demonstrate political prejudice e.g. the leak about not getting rid of hereditary peers in the Lords as "we don't want to be like the Continentals". The second is just ridiculous, given that the monarch is not supposed to have any political power. Holding banquets, attending royal performances and opening factories can't be that hard.

Elegran Wed 17-Oct-12 17:45:24

When they are good, they are very very good...

I think if the abdication had never happened, the monarchy would have been finished by now. Edward VIII was never going to be a paragon among kings. Charles may have his idiosynchratic ways, but I believe he will take the job seriously.

merlotgran Wed 17-Oct-12 17:27:15

vampirequeen. I think your 'accident of birth' whoever it may be is likely to have more aptitude than someone who gets voted in. They are trained for the job from the word go and, unless they are hell bent on shirking their duties, like the late Duke of Windsor, there is no reason why they should not make a good fist of it. Even the most ardent republican would be hard pushed to suggest that the Queen lacks aptitude.

absentgrana Wed 17-Oct-12 11:54:00

Charlotta I don't think the constitution prevents the monarch from abdicating for any reason or no reason at all. However, I can't imagine a man who has taken such pains to plan his own coronation even considering the idea.

vampirequeen Wed 17-Oct-12 11:23:34

He can write to ministers but he can't be seen to take side. Obviously he's going to be a natural Tory but he can't be seen to be otherwise how will he work with a Labour government.

Monarchy is an anachronism anyway. A throwback to a hierarchial system that was put in place to keep the majority in servitude when might was right. A republic may not be perfect but at least we all have a say in who is the head of state. We have a head of state based on an accident of birth rather than aptitude. It seems that as long as they take a good photo the majority are happy. Shame they can't see beyond hype and slick handling of the media.

merlotgran Tue 16-Oct-12 19:06:46

Has anyone read Sarah Goodall's The Palace Diaries about her years as a lady clerk at St. James' Palace during the turbulent years of Charles and Di's marriage? I thought it was deliciously tongue in cheek and very funny. grin

Lilygran Tue 16-Oct-12 14:53:43

Of course he can write to ministers! So can you!

jeni Tue 16-Oct-12 14:39:14

speck I thoroughly agree with you!

JessM Tue 16-Oct-12 13:52:36

Just been announced that his letters to ministers are not going to be released.
Reputed to be full of underlinings and exclamation marks.
They are presumably rather embarrassing. It is debatable whether he should be writing to ministers, presumably trying to influence the way the country is run!!!!! (lots of exclamation marks)

tiggercat Tue 16-Oct-12 13:48:42

specki4eyes my thoughts exactly.

specki4eyes Tue 16-Oct-12 13:19:57

Wow! Thank you Dorsett,Elle & Gracesmum for touching on the subject of 'Saint Di' in a pragmatic way. I have spent hours at dinner parties etc. pontificating same against the 'Poor Misunderstood Diana' Faction and more often than not been made to feel cruel, heartless and unfeeling. Of course it was a mistake, but she made it too! She was old enough to make her own mind up. They were a doomed combination from the start and royalty sycophants should take some of the responsibility themselves for putting the poor chap under pressure to marry all the sodding time!
And the theory that her demise was 'ordered' is really too daft to laugh at. Speeding through Paris in a Mercedes driven by a man high on something, whilst not wearing a safety belt - HELLO? anyone else spot the fatal mistake? anyone who has ever driven into that underpass would know that it should never be done at speed or when not in full control of your faculties.

Ooer I'm starting a rant - back to the active button for me! grin

Charlotta Tue 16-Oct-12 00:45:45

I don't think he can abdicate. The constitution won't allow it, just to let William in.
He has done such a lot for organic farming. He started when everyone else laughed at it. I think he's bored stiff a lot of the time when fullfilling his public duties. He would rather be in the country on his farm.

Wasn't the law altered so that the queen now pays taxes? nanaej perhaps the law your father mentioned was the one that exempted the king and queen, and it was the queen's father who wanted that - and got it.

nanaej Mon 15-Oct-12 20:11:54

only the monarch is exempt from taxes /NI as far as I know. My dad was a civil service lawyer and I recall he had to draft a law which made all members of royal family liable for tax/NI etc except for king/queen. Roll on the republic with an elected president with a limited term of office.

Gally Mon 15-Oct-12 19:43:57

I don't think even Charles would have much clout with local planning officers; it is they who are mostly the fogeys and stuck in the 'traditional' rut. Many can't even agree amongst themselves and live in a little world apart from the rest of us, totally lacking in imagination, excitement, vision or flair sad

NfkDumpling Mon 15-Oct-12 19:29:01

I come down on the Like him side and my money is on him abdicating in favour of Wills soon after he inherits.

JessM Mon 15-Oct-12 18:53:10

Ah, the modern architecture bee. (in his bonnet)
Has he I wonder been partly responsible for the utter boringness of most new Uk buildings? Having been to N Spain and seen the Guggenheim and other modern buildings recently this was brought home to me. I live in a new city in which the vast majority of the new houses are trying to look "traditional", which would no doubt please his fogeyness.

crimson Mon 15-Oct-12 18:38:16

He is indirectly responsible for 'The Carbuncle Cup' smile.

JessM Mon 15-Oct-12 18:29:18

Ok he gets a point for the Prince's Trust but wipes it out by his insistent championing of quack "medicine". Irresponsible man I reckon to champion things like homeopathy which encourage people to, at best, waste their money on sugar pills and at worst reject life saving treatments.

Lilygran Mon 15-Oct-12 15:15:54

He's not a parasite, he's the future head of state. Unless we go down the anarchist route - what are the chances of that turning out well in a modern industrialised country? we have to have one. We know how Charles got where he is. We tried a republic once before and ended up with something that didn't work as well as a monarchy. The real parasites are the EU commissioners etc who get there by a process no-one understands and all have to be paid for by us.

Anne58 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:46:38

Boiled eggs & toothpaste

mickey Mon 15-Oct-12 14:15:16

hear hear vampire queen-no more to be said.

vampirequeen Mon 15-Oct-12 09:37:07

Sorry to rain on your parade but he's a parasite. Never worked. Never paid NI. Only pays tax cos was forced to and pays the minimum amount due to clever accountants.

Spent his life being cossetted and kowtowed to.