Gransnet forums

AIBU

Delivery and set up charges

(9 Posts)
POGS Thu 18-Oct-12 17:00:30

Barrow.

Respect. smile

crimson Thu 18-Oct-12 16:43:25

You can haggle over everying in shops. The S.O. does it all the time [he used to be a rep]. Always asks in Boots what samples they've got to give us. Got two sets of bedlinen for the price of one in another shop [it was John Lewis or Debenhams]. Just laughs if they say no and says 'it was worth a try'. No one seems to mind.

Mishap Thu 18-Oct-12 16:17:19

I am lucky that OH is technically excellent with TVs etc. (too excellent really - I cannot make all the things work as he has set up such complicated processes). If he wasn't around I would probably waste loads of money getting things sorted.

Good for you for standing up against these excessive charges!

Barrow Thu 18-Oct-12 12:11:29

I could accept a delivery charge of up to around £10 but I thought this was a bit too steep. I also thought the set up charge for the TV was excessive as I think all they have to do is unplug the aerial and DVD player from the old one and plug it into the new one (even I can do that, besides if I have any problems I have a very useful next door neighbour!). My main problem is lifting the new set onto the cabinet

Also, one of the items I bought was a fridge freezer so, of course, it would have to be delivered (I could hardly strap it to the top of my car!)

harrigran Thu 18-Oct-12 12:08:44

Delivery and set-up fees are fairly standard, when flat screen TVs first appeared they cost thousands and they still added a hefty charge on top for a man who knew what he was doing, we now manage to set up TVs and recorders ourselves.

Grannybags Thu 18-Oct-12 11:00:46

Well done Barrow. I am waiting for a shed to be delivered from B&Q which I ordered on line. They only charged £5 delivery which I thought was quite good.

Anne58 Thu 18-Oct-12 10:55:00

It is always worth asking for something when spending that sort of money! Personally, I tend to buy electrical goods from one of our local independent retailers, in the past they have been happy to price match things and give excellent service.

absentgrana Thu 18-Oct-12 10:45:40

Well done Barrow [applause emoticon]

Barrow Thu 18-Oct-12 10:44:35

Yesterday I went into a major electrical retailer and in total spent just over £700 when I was about to pay I was told they charge £37 to deliver and a further £40 to set up (TV). Does anyone else feel this is unreasonable? I told them they either deliver and set up for free or they could cancel the order and I would go elsewhere.

They had to call the manager who tried to tell me it was out of his hands and there was nothing they could do. When he saw I wasn't going to take no for an answer he said he could reduce the items I had bought by £80 which would cover the delivery and set up costs.