Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can I have a rage please?

(99 Posts)
specki4eyes Fri 09-Nov-12 21:39:36

Just been talking to one of my sons on the phone. He has 3 yr old twins - a boy and a girl. They are mini anarchists who, for example, constantly and deliberately defy their parents, refuse to comply with any rules, such as wearing a seat belt in cars and planes, run into the road, scream ghoulishly when thwarted in any way, take delight in removing all their clothes wherever and whenever the fancy takes them. DS & DIL fondly indulge these tactics and smile benignly. But DS always uses our phone conversations to quietly complain about them (always followed by the phrase ''bless him/her/them" to soften!) Usually I say nothing or make sympathetic noises. Tonight I suggested gently that DS & DIL are going to have to adopt a more authoritative approach, otherwise the DGs are going to become totally unmanageable (they are already but I didn't say that). DS immediately jumped up on high horse and said, "WE'RE DEALING WITH IT MUM!" (upper case intended) and will now sulk for days at my daring to offer advice. AIBU to feel aggrieved?

Elegran Mon 12-Nov-12 18:38:39

It was the Eddie Calvert version.

I liked ECs "Cherry pink and apple blossom white" with the marvellous swoop down and up.

Nelliemoser Mon 12-Nov-12 22:25:49

soop I hope Rory's tartan is the right one for his clan. You could cause no end of trouble like that. It could lead to the Glencoe massacre all over again! grin

jeni Mon 12-Nov-12 22:31:50

I can't find a McFelix tartan?

jeni Mon 12-Nov-12 22:34:41

I can find a Dunlop one! It's the McIntyre! They've been making tyres for years!

Nelliemoser Mon 12-Nov-12 22:52:23

Hey jeni Rory is a name of Irish origen. Perhaps he needs an Irish tartan. That could but the cat among the Capercailie.

jO5 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:53:40

It's spelt funny in Irish isn't it?

A bit like Owen is Eoin.

jO5 Tue 13-Nov-12 09:56:53

" Ruaidhrí/Ruairí" according to Wicki. That is the Scottish way too.

You should be spelling it like that soop. Give the puss his true heritage!

petallus Tue 13-Nov-12 10:40:33

Wasn't Ruairi the love child of Jennifer's husband in the Archers?

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Nov-12 11:04:14

pettalus Yes he still is but keeps doing a disappearing act. I suspect he is a "sleeper" waiting to be activated if they run out of plot.

annodomini Tue 13-Nov-12 11:07:04

There was the private as opposed to state education argument about Ruari. Jenny Dahling wanted state, but caved in to Brian and the kid was packed off to prep school at an early age.

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Nov-12 11:29:42

There was a lot of pressure from the Irish part of Ruari's family. who didn't think the local primary school was "stretching" his intelligence enough.

The script planners keep creating these little side characters and then never being quite sure what to do with them afterwards.

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Nov-12 11:31:00

petallus your not pettalus sorry.

Nelliemoser Tue 13-Nov-12 11:33:14

Petallus you're not pettalus sorry. I must proof read properly!

RINKY Wed 14-Nov-12 00:03:17

Just to make you laugh.
My cheeky 20month old GD won't go to sleep when DD puts her down but will play peek a boo for ages with her, even tho she tries to ignore her.
Difficult situation as three girls in same room. One asleep, one trying to go to sleep and this little darling ready to scream the place down if mum leaves the room.

I found when she was tiny and then was teething that I could get her to sleep very easily just by holding her. Told DD that's because I am very uninteresting and she sleeps through boredom.

As little terror has got older, I can still get her to go to sleep but its hilarious cos as soon as she is at that tired eye rubbing stage and she sees me heading towards her, she gives a little squeal of horror and tries to run away from me, crying as she goes. I catch her, pick her up, put her on the bed...and zoom she's asleep in minutes. I sit there shaking with laughter.
I just feel sorry that it doesn't work for poor DD.

RINKY Wed 14-Nov-12 00:06:00

Just realised as looked at my post that the subject has moved on a bit I think from difficult grandchildren. Must have blinked.
Apologies if story now inappropriate!!

janeainsworth Wed 14-Nov-12 07:17:31

Don't worry rinky it was nice to read anyway.
My DGS is like that. He is so cuddly and when he wants to sleep just rubs his eyes, looks round for a big person (anyone will do smile), burrows his head into your shoulder and in two minutes he's asleep smile

Nelliemoser Wed 14-Nov-12 08:11:30

We had a phrase with our DD that she was "looking for a lap" when tired and wanting a cuddle. It was obviously more comfortable than an empty armchair. When she was 3 I went through part of a short notice, job interview with her cuddled on my lap.

Nanadog Wed 14-Nov-12 08:27:25

Reading the last few posts and then the original post again (I'd forgotten where this all started) made me think. My DGD was the most obnoxious, stubborn, negative 2-year old I've ever met, we still loved her dearly but she was a handful.
She had her 3rd birthday recently and all that anger, frustration and angst has simply disappeared and she's turned into the sweetest, most loving and caring little girl ever....overnight.
There is hope specki smile

janeainsworth Wed 14-Nov-12 08:51:40

That's good to know nanad - you've described my DGD to a T. We love her too.
She's 3 in January grin

RINKY Wed 14-Nov-12 12:18:36

My second GD went thro a phase at two of completely blanking me or glaring at me. Same at another couple of people. She refused to have anything to do with me and I thought it was because she resented me telling her off sometimes.
Decided to ignore it and hope she would come out of it but felt very hurt for a while. Couldn't even get a cuddle from her but caught her up from behind and cuddled anyway. First GD had no problems with me and she was told off more.

However, things resolved themselves and she is now four. The other day she said... I do love you Rinky! Aaaaah.

Nanadog Wed 14-Nov-12 12:24:07

jane roll on January!! grin

Nanadog Wed 14-Nov-12 12:25:12

Rinky those few little words just mean so much don't they? sunshine

specki4eyes Fri 16-Nov-12 21:41:28

I was skyping this evening with two of my grandchildren (not the anarchic twins) and they were scribbling away on the desk. they then held up two signs they had made which read, "Granny you are the best" and "I love you Granny". Oh for a private plane, so that I could zoom over and hug them. Their parents are divorcing so there are some sad times to come and I wish i could just gather them up and protect them from it all.sad