Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be angry that a 12A certificate film is shown to primary children in school

(102 Posts)
Mishap Sat 24-Nov-12 12:48:51

My GS has been having nightmares and is dreadfully distressed by having been shown the film Warhorse at school. He is 9 years old and the film is a cert 12A.

My DD has been dealing with his distress and with a raft of questions about war and why it happens - his faith in adults has been shattered and he is very insecure after this.

My view is that this sort of material about man's inhumanity to man is a relevant subject in secondary school (maybe aged 13 to 14) and that foisting these horrors on such young children is unacceptable. Am I being over-protective?

The irony is that my DD does allow her children to watch things that I do not think are suitable, but she is incensed about this - they had no opportunity to veto their child seeing this in school.

I would have been furious if it had been my child and the school would have received a visit from me.

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 19:45:39

Well I think this is all a bit odd. According to this it is recommended for use in Key Stage 3. That I believe is the first 3 years of secondary school.

So perhaps you are right. (My grandsons must be well 'ard! grin)

Ok. So working on that basis Mishap, what did the teacher have to say for herself, and what does she recommend, to help your traumatised grandson?

Mum or Dad must have been into school about it by now. smile

vampirequeen Tue 27-Nov-12 20:32:58

As a matter of interest why were the children doing WW1? Apart from a bit about Remembrance Day it's not part of the required History curriculum in Primary.

Deedaa Tue 27-Nov-12 20:55:32

Going back to Black Beauty, I read it when I was about seven and the death of Ginger is still etched on my brain. I could just about cope with reading about it but I would never have wanted to see it in a film. It is much easier to shut words out than it is pictures.

Elegran Tue 27-Nov-12 21:15:36

Same here, Deedaa I loved the book of Black Beauty but at that age I would not have liked to see the things that were described. The death of Ginger was the worst, but there were other cruelties to horses in it - which was why Anna Sewell wrote it. She wanted to expose how they were treated.

Mishap Tue 27-Nov-12 21:35:01

I think it related to remembrance day - my DD emailed the school about it and I understand that other parents did too - the decision has been made not to show the rest of the film - apparently they were showing it in 2 bits.

Bit too late for wee GS.

crimson Tue 27-Nov-12 22:11:28

I thought it was a bit long to show them in one go. Trouble is that the best bit is at the end. They probably stopped showing it to them at the point that traumatised them the most [bit like stopping Black Beauty at the Ginger chapter but not at 'My troubles are over, and I am at home; and often before I am awake, I fancy I am still in the orchard at Birtwick, standing with my old friends under the apple trees...' Hands up anyone who read that last bit without shedding a tear cause I have'nt sad...

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:14:45

Stop it Crimson

Sob

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 22:17:49

Blub, blub! I need hot chocolate!

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:26:52

I've had hot chocolate.

And I still feel bloody miserable.

moon

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:27:26

sorry for the swearing.

(I don't do it in real life!) hmm

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 22:32:38

My father used to say 'bloody' isn't swearing. It's emphasis!

crimson Tue 27-Nov-12 22:33:06

Dread to think what a sad ending would do to you smile....

NfkDumpling Tue 27-Nov-12 22:37:48

Oh that would need chocolate fudge cake - with double cream and choc chips.

Ana Tue 27-Nov-12 22:45:03

See, jingl! If the death of Ginger can reduce Gransnetters to sobs, what do you think Warhorse would do to a sensitive nine year old? confused

jO5 Tue 27-Nov-12 22:54:36

Yes alright!

It needs to be dealt with now. By talking to the teacher.

(apparently my grandsons watched it at home, on a video rented from the library. and DD can't remember if the younger one watched it or not. hmm)

Ana Tue 27-Nov-12 22:57:38

Sorry - I know you've had second thoughts, couldn't resist!

jO5 Wed 28-Nov-12 15:02:59

I have sent for this film. Only a few quid on Play.com. Will watch it. Wonder how much they have stuck to the book.

Deedaa Wed 28-Nov-12 22:45:12

Oh crimson now I'm snivelling too! Odd how a happy ending can be as tear jerking as sad one. I know I wouldn't be able to read the book to my grandson without dissolving into a heap of tissues. Although I was able to read Goodbye Mog to him, which my daughter couldn't manage smile

crimson Wed 28-Nov-12 23:24:43

When I read it to my daughter I couldn't read the Ginger chapter so she took the book and read it herself. I think the book is one of my oldest possessions [I don't remember carrying it around with me on my travels through life, but here it is next to me after all these years]. Gave me a lifelong love of horses. Wonder it didn't traumatise us all, though. I mean, Black Beauty's brother dies in Chapter 2. The chapter about Captain 'An Old War Horse' is like an early version of War Horse. I said, 'I have heard people talk about war as if it were a very fine thing'.'Ah!' said he,'I should think they never saw it. No doubt it is very fine when there is no enemy, when it is just an exercise and parade and sham fight. Yes, it is very fine then; but when thousands of good brave men and horses are killed, or crippled for life, it has a very different look'. I wonder how much the book shaped my ideas on things like war when I read it as a child?

Deedaa Thu 29-Nov-12 22:03:43

My great uncle was a farrier sergeant in WW1 and I remember him telling me that they all made a pact with their best friend that they would shoot each other's horses if they were fatally wounded, so that they didn't have to kill their own.
It's a long time since I read it but I think there is some fairly horrific stuff about horses in All Quiet on the Western Front. I always thought the world would become more civilised but looking at Gaza what can you say?

crimson Thu 29-Nov-12 23:02:09

Has anyone read Warrior by Brough Scott, the story of his [I think] uncle's horse who survived WW1 and lived a long and happy life? It must have been such a comfort having the horses with them; I'm sure I saw a photo of one soldier sleeping next to his horse. Didn't Michael Morpurgo say that the men could talk to their horses about their fears whereas they had to put on a brave face to their comrades. Horses are very good listeners. Deedaa; we humans have a habit of messing things up I'm afraid sad.

Nanban Fri 30-Nov-12 08:02:23

Ana - yup, read the book [about the real horse], seen the stage play, alongside lots of grannies and their children, and seen the film. All absolutely marvellous and all about triumph over adversity and how great the spirit of a horse is. I can't think of a more life enhancing lesson for anyone.

jO5 Fri 30-Nov-12 10:47:10

Hope my dvd of the film arrives today. Looking forward to watching it. Then I will give it to the grandkids. And I'm sure they will watch it over and over again.

Nanban Fri 30-Nov-12 17:04:12

JO5 - if you haven't already, do get the book about the real warhorse - called Warrior - it really is lovely and not put downable.

crimson Fri 30-Nov-12 17:16:42

Of everything, the book the play and the film I feel the film lets the side down. Although I might enjoy it more watching it at home; it seemed like a very long film. It needed thirty minutes knocking off it I reckon.