Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think Liz Jones is a bitter and twisted old hag?

(186 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 14-Jan-13 14:26:02

I'm not surprised La Jones is picking on Clare Balding as she has an ill informed (IMO) down on the racing industry
I'm half way through Clare's book, My Animals and Other Family and sorry, Liz, I'm loving it.

merlotgran Fri 18-Jan-13 18:48:55

GNHQ mentioned this thread in their newsletter so it can't be ALL bad. grin

gracesmum Fri 18-Jan-13 18:23:55

OK so it's not this thread.

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 23:05:59

Sel - I have known much more reasonable disciplined debates in school societies. hmm

glassortwo Thu 17-Jan-13 22:30:43

FFS sad

Sel Thu 17-Jan-13 22:26:54

You do have to wonder at times if this is a forum for adults or a school debating society. Sheesh.

nightowl Thu 17-Jan-13 22:26:26

Yes glass sad

glassortwo Thu 17-Jan-13 22:22:19

Has crimson gone? shock sad

petallus Thu 17-Jan-13 21:53:16

Does that mean we are not allowed to say anything else on the matter then?

HildaW Thu 17-Jan-13 20:11:51

---------------------------------------------- THERE, I've drawn a line.

petallus Thu 17-Jan-13 13:15:59

An excellent law Greatnan grin

Greatnan Thu 17-Jan-13 13:00:08

This is known as Godwin's Law - once anybody brings Hitler into a debate they have lost, and the thread is nearly finished!
I lost interest in the arguments about horse racing pretty quickly!

Nelliemoser Thu 17-Jan-13 11:54:09

absent That wonderful comment shows just why we missed you! grin

Movedalot Thu 17-Jan-13 11:27:44

Why do we need to put an end to it?

nightowl Thu 17-Jan-13 11:23:01

No, probably not grin

Anyway, I don't believe it.

absent Thu 17-Jan-13 11:20:49

I know exactly how to put an end to this thread – mention Hitler! He was a vegetarian, verging on vegan, and was kind to animals too. There – has that done it?

Movedalot Thu 17-Jan-13 10:54:11

I have just read this thread because someone PM'd me about crimson because they were upset that she has gone. So am I. I do hope she is lurking somewhere and will come back. If you are please PM me crimson. No we are not particular friends but we did chat at the Midlands meet.

I know nothing about this journalist and think that is probably a good thing.

I think CB is a very good journalist and presenter.

I just don't understand what is so wrong with racing being a business, will someone please explain? I think it is very likely that racehorses are treated extremely well and that their care is monitored closely by the authorities. In such a sport we would soon hear about any cruelty.

Many years ago I heard a radio programme presented by Angela Rippon entitled 'Raw Meat and Tutus'. It was about all the people who trained to be ballet dancers and didn't make it for, very often, minor reasons. It was, and is, a very competetive environment, just like horse racing but, unlike horse racing, no one cares when you are past it and you won't go off into stud or any other care! Young ballet dancers are not monitored by doctors in the same way as horses are monitored by vets!

Riverwalk Thu 17-Jan-13 08:49:20

I also like Julie Birchill and JSP - in fact I love Birchall's columns, and then again I hate them when she's rabidly supporting Israel!

Very cowardly of The Observer to pull her recent article.

nightowl Thu 17-Jan-13 00:48:07

It's very sad that crimson seems to have gone. I believe she has been here from the beginning of gransnet. Hope she returns sad

Sel Wed 16-Jan-13 23:54:57

Nelliemoser it's part of the job description for female columnists - I also like Julie Birchill and JSP - neither are exactly sweetness and light in their comments about others.

Nelliemoser Wed 16-Jan-13 23:47:14

sel Just because L J is kind to animals and spends lots of money rescuing them, it does not absolve her from being very spiteful and insulting to the people she writes about.

Sel Wed 16-Jan-13 23:07:06

petallus phew, doesn't often happen smile

petallus Wed 16-Jan-13 23:02:37

You're making a lot of sense to me Sel

nanaej Wed 16-Jan-13 22:59:17

hey don't think I was accusing anyone of racism..maybe just a bit of thoughtlessness in using a generic term that covers many different people from many different places..

Put in the context of the racing world..which I know nothing about.. I now understand that this may be a specifically understood term referring to the horse racing community in gulf states.. fine I understand now.

Sel Wed 16-Jan-13 22:44:30

Oh dear. Thanks Ana At one point - 20+ years ago, I had five horses racing in this country, it was very expensive and I only twice went to actually watch them race as I was too busy making money to pay for their training fees! Did have a winner at Sandown and another at York. Whoo! I know crimson knows her bloodstock so would possibly know their names. I did enjoy visiting their stables which were in Stamford but couldn't quite equate the beautiful animals they were with the fact they actually had to make money. They didn't have a choice. When I was young I had to save up money from part time jobs to have riding lessons and I always loved horses with a passion.

A decision was made to sell them, dispose of an asset if you like. Luckily, they were good enough that when they sold, at auction a couple went to the UAE to someone who's name began with Sheik Al smile one to the US, one Sweden and one remained in this country. They will be dead now - if they continued to make money then maybe they did enjoy the rest of their lives. If they didn't, goodness knows what happened to them.

These were not jump racers. I find the use of the whip in racing upsetting and the point I was trying to make about LJ is, she is passionate about animals and as such, probably does have an issue with anyone associated with the industry. For that's what it is. I don't have an issue with comments on here about racing, I was trying to explain why LJ may feel the way she does.

Ana Wed 16-Jan-13 22:37:25

It's cursed. Tried to PM crimson but she's gone...sad