Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think Liz Jones is a bitter and twisted old hag?

(185 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 14-Jan-13 14:26:02

I'm not surprised La Jones is picking on Clare Balding as she has an ill informed (IMO) down on the racing industry
I'm half way through Clare's book, My Animals and Other Family and sorry, Liz, I'm loving it.

Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:37:04

What a thoroughly horrid piece!

I remember reading Jones's book and wanting to to write to her to put her straight on some points re. keeping sheep.

Daft bint.

j07 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:42:07

Mentioning her clothing is bitchy and unnecessary, but apart from that she a point.

Quote "No word, then,....... on the number of beatings given to Grand National winner Ballabriggs in the final stretch, or the fact he had to be given oxygen."

Lilygran Mon 14-Jan-13 14:42:57

I think maybe L Jones is the imaginary character invented by a very creative journalist. I say this because she surely can't be real?

Greatnan Mon 14-Jan-13 14:43:57

She wondered why she was unpopular in the West Country, when she slagged off her neighbours in her column. She contradicts herself all the time, and is venemous about younger, prettier women. She has boasted about buying a house for her sister and wonders why her family don't like her.
Still, the Mail on Sunday continues to employ her!

Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:44:58

Perhaps they might like to employ me instead!

Ella46 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:48:58

She is a neurotic piece of work! My blood pressure rises just thinking about her, so I won't say any more!

merlotgran Mon 14-Jan-13 15:06:57

jingle I agree about the shameful treatment of Ballabriggs but outrage was expressed by many. Liz Jones seems to think she has the monopoly on speaking up for animal welfare.

Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 15:10:49

Her comments about outgrown ponies are ridiculous! Does she think that anyone getting a pony gets them "brand new", like a car?

janthea Mon 14-Jan-13 15:20:43

BUT - she achieves what she sets out to achieve. People read her column and talk about it and therefore buy the Daily Mail. Whether what she writes is fact or fiction - I have no idea. But it can be amusing, if only for the shock value.

If people can't stand her, then don't read the column - simples!! grin

glammanana Mon 14-Jan-13 15:24:48

I just don't understand the woman,why when just moving to an area as she did do you fall out with your immediate neighbours being a single woman living on the moors you would never know when you would need their help ? Did she think she was moving to an area where everyone would jump to her beck and call,not surprised she was outed in such a manner I would hate to be a friend of her's I would be frightened to comment on anything in case it got into her weekly column.Fashion sense !!! what fashion sense please direct me.I've seen better on a night out in Town.

Sel Mon 14-Jan-13 15:35:56

She is passionate about animals and probably gets upset with anyone connected with the horse racing industry. Horses are a commodity in that business. I think she's mixing up her message with the Clare Balding piece. I agree janthea - just don't read what she has to say - but everyone does.

janeainsworth Mon 14-Jan-13 15:37:48

Perhaps there's something to be said for reading the Daily Telegraph after allwink
I have no idea who Liz Jones is.

Sel Mon 14-Jan-13 15:39:21

Ooops Jane, better change my 'everyone' to 'many do' smile

janthea Mon 14-Jan-13 15:41:36

People get so heated about her (check out Mumsnet). I just don't understand it. If I don't like what a column or paper or magazine publishes, then I don't bother to read it. Life's too short to get upset about it. It's not important.

glitabo Mon 14-Jan-13 15:43:50

Who is Liz Jones?

Sel Mon 14-Jan-13 15:52:08

glitabo whisper it softly, she writes for the DAILY MAIL grin

glitabo Mon 14-Jan-13 15:59:17

OH hmm

Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:04:35

That would be the Daily Mail that last Thursday had screaming headlines on the front page about the country being about to grind to a halt when gripped by snow, would it?

I don't buy it but treated myself to a good "Tut" when I saw it whilst in the queue at the till in Lidl's.

Nelliemoser Mon 14-Jan-13 16:22:37

Wht is this about Clare Balding being an older woman she is only about 42 FGS.
Liz Jone says.. "that the rest of us who bother to shop in Prada and have facelifts cannot possibly be as ‘good’ as she is, nor be as nice or as worthy.

what-- a cow of a woman-- an arrogant woman "bother to shop in Prada" indeed, She should just be thankful she can afford to.The reason I don't shop in Prada is not because I can't be bothered.

I wouldn't mind if Liz Jones had just plainly challenged Clare about the risks to the horses with the facts and instances but the bitching about her clothes and her book is well out of order. IMHO she is a spiteful cow. (I hope I can say that!)
The opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily shared by Gransnet! wink

Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:26:56

They are by me though, Nelliemoser !!

Anne58 Mon 14-Jan-13 16:28:26

I know which one of them I would rather have a coffee and a danish with.

Clare Balding is a jolly good egg.

Nelliemoser Mon 14-Jan-13 16:33:24

phoenix Yes that's ok! But LJ seems to be automatically assuming by the way she posted, that everyone else should as well, and if they don't they are being awkward or making a point.

Sel Mon 14-Jan-13 16:41:29

phoenix I don't disagree about Clare Balding, very professional and does her homework. I did share a railway carriage with her last year which sort of colours my view - maybe she'd had a row with her companion, who knows.

Liz Jones IMO is not a spiteful cow or a bitter and twisted old hag (I'd really find it hard to say that about anyone) She's a very good writer; whether you agree with what she says or not is immaterial, people read what she says and that sells. Very clever woman. I think she is deliberately controversial many times. I do think though, if you are passionate about animals, as she is, then horse racing is going to upset you. She's crossed her lines attacking CB re her appearance.

Gally Mon 14-Jan-13 16:41:47

Here here Phoenix spot on! I know a sports producer who has worked with her a lot and he thinks she is a damned hard worker and a ' professional' and is full of admiration.
I too have never heard of this Liz Jones (I thought she was an elderly retired actress at first!) so I shall google her forthwith, but I have already decided I don't much like her grin