Gransnet forums

AIBU

What is happening to our Country .

(69 Posts)
harvatt Sat 19-Jan-13 13:47:24

29% Horsemeat in a Burger - Is this not " a Trace too far " 50 years
ago Horse Meat was sold in shops - I do not remember any ill effects .
Should Helicopters and Light Aircraft carry 2 crew by Law and should
the areas they fly in be under stricter control particularly London.
English Heritage has announced it can no longer afford to put up Small
Blue Placques on London houses to announce a celebrity once lived there
- what would a placque cost ?
Plans are being considered to ban teachers from using Red Ink to mark
homework " because it upsets Pupils " seemingly in 2008 hundreds of
British Schools banned teachers from doing this. How long have we been
marking in red ink - I do not remember any complaints !
Why cannot TV sound be constant - Why is it loud one minute and quiet
the next - Where is modern Technology ?
Why do some footballers wear gloves - in my footballing days they would
be considered a sissy .
Why do football goal scorers go daft when they score a goal - it is a team
game - all eleven players play a part - I don't see a full back going daft
after a good tackle !
Why are footballers constantly spitting and blowing their nose on TV ,
it is a disgusting habit .
Why do so many men these days go around unshaven - is it
considered to be macho ?

Tegan Wed 23-Jan-13 00:24:35

Oh number; put us together in a social occasion..you with your itches and me with my burping blush. Oh dear...

Movedalot Wed 23-Jan-13 12:19:03

nans ban&aej. I agree with you both. There is so much to like and be proud of living in the UK for which I am very grateful. smile

ban is it possible to be petite if dumpy? I ask so that I can change my description and drop the dumpy. grin

feetlebaum Wed 23-Jan-13 13:09:10

anno - Green ink - the universal sign of an unhinged letter writer! Particularly when written on lined letter paper...

Ariadne Wed 23-Jan-13 14:05:57

I like it, Moved! I too could then just be petite, which would be very comforting. smile

feetlebaum Wed 23-Jan-13 15:02:24

I like living in the UK, but I'm not 'proud of being English' - I had no part in it, after all. It just happened to be where my parents were at the time.

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 15:03:57

Feetlebaum, you have me sussed! I once found some of my old university notes and was shocked to find I'd been writing in turquoise ink. What was I thinking of? shock

Moved, if I shrink a little more, I am going to be officially petite. Unfortunately that shrinkage has been longitudinal rather than latitudinal.

numberplease Wed 23-Jan-13 15:39:41

Petite is 5`2" and under, isn`t it? Well, I`m under at 5`1", but must be about 5`around, can I still be petite?

Tegan Wed 23-Jan-13 16:06:48

I think the main thing that makes me proud of my country is the fact that Bill Bryson likes us and [I think] still chooses to live here. I saw the British in a new light after I read Notes From a Small Island and I liked what I saw.

nanaej Wed 23-Jan-13 21:20:23

I am not proud of 'being' English either Feetle

I just things there are more things about GB that are good than not!

nanaej Wed 23-Jan-13 21:20:58

*think not things!

Nanban Thu 24-Jan-13 11:16:03

Official petite is under 5'2" - however wide is completely immaterial - thank god!

And of course all the best and most famous are vertically challenged.

I am completely proud of being English through and through - apart from some historical foreign bits and bobs. English/England isn't a place/language so much as a symbol.

MamaCaz Thu 14-Feb-13 14:35:10

Why have I rushed to answer the phone 4 times today, just to hear (after a long pause) a stranger asking to speak to me or DH about goodness knows what?

Why can't said stranger even get our surname right? It's not as if it's an unusual name.

Why do I know that there will be several more similar calls today, some asking to speak to one of our DSs, who don't live here?

Why, when my husband answers the phone, am I afraid that he will lose his temper and swear at the caller, then discover that it is in fact a client/potential client calling? (Yes, that has happened a couple of times.)

dorsetpennt Fri 15-Feb-13 12:54:04

MamaCaz I have a Scottish name, it's not unusual and one of our old entertainers shares it with me. However, so many people get it wrong. When I get a cold caller who rings and asks incorrectly for Mrs..... I say if you can say my name correctly then I'll listen if not.............[put own comments in here you can imagine mine]

MamaCaz Fri 15-Feb-13 15:07:06

grin
That reminds me of the time when my OH asked the caller to look again at the name, then asked him to spell it out. Once he had done that, OH asked, "So what does that say?" When the caller managed to say it correctly. OH thanked him - and hung up.

numberplease Fri 15-Feb-13 15:41:00

It`s so annoying, isn`t it? Our name is Smalley, but the number of calls we get asking for Mr or Mrs Smelly!! I`ve tried asking them to say it correctly, but to no avail, so now I just say that no-one of that name lives here, and hang up.

soop Fri 15-Feb-13 16:16:52

You tell 'em, number...smile

Nelliemoser Fri 15-Feb-13 17:18:53

IMO W.S Gilbert yet again says it all.

"The idiot who praises, with enthusiastic tone, All centuries but this, and every country but his own."

The Mikado.

Ariadne Fri 15-Feb-13 17:31:34

Nellie [ grin] Spot on!