Gransnet forums

AIBU

bad language

(284 Posts)
celebgran Thu 24-Jan-13 17:53:50

is it necessary to use 4 letter words on this forum?

I find it quite sad if that is the case. It looks so harsh in print.

We all swear more I think nowadays but still do not like it, expect I am old fashioned.

annieseed Tue 12-Mar-13 19:08:15

I do need a little mutter, sometimes out aloud, and sometimes under my breath BUT what really gets me on a TV film, when the dialogue consisters of one F after the other. It destroys the plot - I am so busy counting them. Then I go to sleep.

Deedaa Thu 28-Feb-13 23:00:50

That reminds me that when our daughter was small we taught her that "plug" was a word to use if you were cross. She used it happily for ages - I'm not sure what other people thought!

One of my father's favourite words was blimey. My granny heard me saying it when I was about four and told me off. I told her that Daddy said it all the time and she said he was very naughty. Naturally I went straight home and repeated this to Daddy and he said lots of new words about Granny grin

Bags Thu 28-Feb-13 20:02:41

Future generations will wonder "Why fox?"

Bags Thu 28-Feb-13 20:01:52

I rather like that version, filly. She may have started something good there.

fillygumbo Thu 28-Feb-13 19:56:20

I had to smile at funny post on mumsnet recently, a toddler had copied her father swearing and was stamping her foot and saying for fox sake. Her parents obviously wanting to cure her of this took to shaking their heads and looking ver cross whilst saying Oh Brother which she quickly took to instead.
I do think it is a shame the f word is now so commonplace my own children scarcely believe that thne worse word in use when I was a teenager was bloody!

harrigran Mon 11-Feb-13 22:46:12

granjura you are a hoot grin

Sook Mon 11-Feb-13 22:40:16

granjura grin

j08 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:31:57

[tongue-sticky-out] to petallus.

So there!

Ana Mon 11-Feb-13 21:06:00

confused

petallus Mon 11-Feb-13 21:01:45

How very dare you j08

granjura Mon 11-Feb-13 20:46:06

Being a furiner is a mindfield - the number of ghastly mistakes I made is soo embarrassing - but somehow allowed me to 'integrate' and it certainly did 'break the ice'. I'll always remember saying to my boss a few weeks later, in front of very important customers, that I had loads of French letters to file smile - it got them all relaxed and the firm won the very large contract. My boss bought me a Wedgewood dinner service (I worked for an engineering firm that made machinery for the pottery industry).

gracesmum Mon 11-Feb-13 20:41:49

Love it granjura! The idea of measuring the temperature of the piste and the humidity and then "farting accordingly" - I wish I could hear that explanation on Ski Sunday!!!gringrin

j08 Mon 11-Feb-13 20:35:46

petallus was joking. post 10.28.13 grin

#supposedtoreadthewholethreaddontyaknow

granjura Mon 11-Feb-13 20:11:09

Petallus, who am I to doubt your word. And yet - I just have to say I cannot believe that you've never ever 'broken wind' - come on, pull the other one smile

I'd only been in the UK a few weeks, when I was invited to a family for Sunday lunch (my future OH's family) - after lunch, he and his brother went to help mum in the kitchen, and just wouldn't let me give a hand. There I was, stuck in the lounge with future fil and he put telly on. Ski Sunday - and he commented 'can't see any difference between them, they all seem to ski the same, and with only minute differences in timing'. Trying to make polite conversation in my very rough English, I said 'well, the equipment makes a lot of difference too, and farting also'. He looked at me with a strange look on his face, so I thought I had to explain further 'yes I said, farting is an art in skiing - the better you fart the faster you go. They take the temperature of the snow at different parts of the piste, and measure the humidity and then fart accordingly. Same as choosing tyres for Formula One racing'. So he called the sons back 'I have a bit of a language problem with your little Swiss friend' he said. So the boys asked what I said and I repeated. They laughed so much - and then explained. I've never lived it down!!! Still a family joke 43 years later.

In French 'farter' means 'to apply wax [to sole of skis], and I thought it was the same in English! There was some logic in it though ... smile

Ana Mon 11-Feb-13 20:00:23

grin

j08 Mon 11-Feb-13 19:59:44

I've seen those when I searched the net advertised granjura. They do nothing for sound though. #nationaltrusthousesecho

granjura Mon 11-Feb-13 19:44:57

Got the Big Issue the other day, and I couldn't believe my eyes. First thought it was a joke, but no. 'Fart with confidence' said the advert for :

New pants mean you can fart with confidence

January 23 2007 at 03:11am

New York - An American underwear manufacturer has invented pants designed to hide the smell of flatulence.

The Under-Ease pants have a built-in, multi-layered replaceable filter, made of felt, charcoal and fibreglass wool.

To prevent gases escaping without passing through it, the underpants are made from air-tight fabric and completely sealed with elastic around the waistband and legs.

Under-Tec president and inventor Buck Weimer said: "Under-Ease are underwear for protection against bad human gas.

"We get a lot of jokes - but we don't doubt that this is a serious product that serves a purpose.

"They can be worn anytime, anywhere - in bed, to work, at social events, including professional meetings or when travelling in any vehicle, including an airplane."

The pants are machine-washable and the filters last several weeks to several months, depending on the frequency of use and laundering. - Ananova.com

Ana Mon 11-Feb-13 19:38:24

I would have added something further, but I don't want to get messenger going...hmm

Ana Mon 11-Feb-13 19:34:27

What dictionary is that, POGS? confused

POGS Mon 11-Feb-13 19:26:24

Well the definition of fart in my dictionary states 'Explosion between the legs'. confused

annodomini Mon 11-Feb-13 14:17:32

Way back in my youth, I was in the car, at a drive-in cinema with fiance, after a gourmet meal of beans on toast. We renamed the film as 'Fart from the Madding Crowd'. With apologies to Hardy. grin

petallus Mon 11-Feb-13 13:33:45

Sel grin

Yes, there is an element of trying to get it all out of my system before I have to go.

Eh!

Bags Mon 11-Feb-13 13:29:48

harri grin – "silent but deadly"

Gally Mon 11-Feb-13 13:23:33

Oh yes Harrigran especially when in a shop or in a confined area, I soon hop it in case anyone around should think it was I who emitted the offending pong grin

harrigran Mon 11-Feb-13 13:00:25

If it makes a noise it gives others a chance to move out of range. It is the silent but deadly that you have to watch out for.