Gransnet forums

AIBU

Online grocery deliveries - do you understand the twisted logic of grocery pickers?

(51 Posts)
whenim64 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:35:31

Busy week, so did an online grocery order to arrive in the evening, between 8 and 9 pm. It arrived at 11.55pm, by which time helplines for customer service were closed, although the driver did phone at 11.30 pm to say he might as well go home and deliver in the morning! I said 'no' because I was not going to be home in the morning. You know those occasions when you think things are not going to get any better?

Well, he arrived with my £65 order, and the delivery sheet said £72. Offers had been substituted for full price items, ice cream had melted, a birthday card for son (he's 33) said 'Happy Birthday One Year Old', the free range chicken was warm, and to top it all, I had ordered 5 tins of soup for £2 (mainly the sort I wouldn't make myself). Scotch broth, oxtail, Thai chicken, wild mushroom and tomato with basil had been dismissed and substituted with....wait for it.....three tins of low fat tomato, a tin of tomato and basil, and finally....a tin of cream of tomato!!!!

Loads of stuff sent back, and when I mentioned it to relatives the general reaction was 'yes, that happens to us all the time.'

Does anyone have inside knowledge of how groceries are selected when there is a problem with supplying the exact items ordered? I don't understand the thinking behind some of the items they decide I should have instead.

Incidentally, my brother said they cane home last weekend to find someone else's groceries in the porch. They hadn't placed an order. They phoned Asda, who said someone might come to collect them by the end of the evening (they live up in the hills, navigating the snowy roads was a problem that night). No-one came, so they put everything away and are enjoying a low budget shopping week! grin

newgran1 Thu 14-Mar-13 14:47:29

i use Tescos online a lot as i do the delivery saver
they are really good and if i dont want a substitution i can refuse it
any problems call the customer service number and complain

glammanana Mon 11-Feb-13 13:37:25

cc it's a shame Morrison's are not included as they seem to have the best sell by dates on their fresh goods,I find Asda have the worst closely followed by Tesco.

cc Mon 11-Feb-13 11:14:41

Only problem with saying no substitutes is when they are part of a 3 for 2 or similar. Even if you write a message in the substitute box asking them to make up the number from the offer it doesn't usually happen - I simply send back the incomplete offer now. Surprisingly I've found Waitrose are the worst for missing items and that their substitutions are thoughtless.

I've recently been starting my list off with mysupermarket.com and then balancing which supermarket to buy from on the basis of price vs. how many goods from that week's shopping list they stock - it works quite well, other than substitions. It takes longer but it gives you a real price comparison and it has been interesting to find that "cheaper" supermarkets actually cost more some weeks. Have not yet tried Ocado but they often come up amongst the lowest prices. Sadly Morrisons are not included.

choirlady Sun 03-Feb-13 07:56:05

I've had no probs with Tesco and their delivery men have mostly been polite and helpful. Unfortunately they are changing their depot from Peterborough to Corby so I'll have to see how it goes!

glammanana Sun 27-Jan-13 16:17:57

The service I get from Ocado is very good I also wait for their voucher offers before I do a shop,Sainsburys come in second for me as they have made just a few subsitutions and in my favour I must add,the reports about Tesco leave me speechless sometimes, surely they should have pickers who know what they are doing but it seems not as my neice and her family had the most awful fruit and veg delivered during Christmas week.

Joan1 Sun 27-Jan-13 15:05:14

I have used Asda and Tesco
Asda does too many substitutions
I now use Tesco most of the time as I got fed up with unsuitable substitutions, I know i don`t have to accept them but that then leaves me without an item I needed

soop Sun 27-Jan-13 15:02:48

Glass Had I been in your position, I would have blown a gasket. Respect!

Butty Sun 27-Jan-13 14:57:35

Blimey glass! No wonder you're angry.

Nonu Sun 27-Jan-13 14:04:10

You have every right to Glass. I also would be .

glassortwo Sun 27-Jan-13 13:55:20

Can you see the steam coming out of my ears!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry

Went to Tesco to collect the grocery's they were unable to delivery yesterday, so drove into the click and collect had the baskets dragged to the car which I then loaded into the car.
Drove to FIL to drop his shopping and my mobile was ringing in the other room stopped just as I got to it but private number,I had missed the call.... a little while later the mobile rang again with private number and it was Tesco to say that they had forgotten to give me 2 trays of groceries so I had to trundle all the way back to collect the missing goods. I did ask to have the charge for the service removed as I feel at little hard done by from Tesco after yesterdays service then today was the limit.
So I drove home to find that DD, SIL and the children are pulling off the drive so I waited until they had reversed off thinking they would help unload the bootful of groceries into the house before they left as it was groceries for us all (we all live together) and they just pulled away leaving me gobsmacked and hauling everything into the house... to say I am annoyed is an understatement. angry

Mey Sat 26-Jan-13 21:14:03

Hello glassortwo, thank you.

glassortwo Sat 26-Jan-13 21:09:55

Hello mey welcome to GN smile

Mey Sat 26-Jan-13 21:08:53

Thank you for your welcome. granjura you have described my husband who will always come back from the shops with cakes and pastries but never brings back anything for a meal.His shopping list is usually hilarious to read as he can not spell very well and it is quite comical reading it. His Maths however is amazing.

granjura Sat 26-Jan-13 20:09:37

Ooops - where is that edit option. So frustrating not to have one. I meant 'around here' [out in the sticks in the Swiss mountains].

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 20:04:07

Granjura grin

granjura Sat 26-Jan-13 19:52:13

Must say I'd never trust anybody else with my shopping (especially not OH who comes back with chocolate and cakes, etc) - fortunately the mere idea of internet shopping around him is light years away smile

york46 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:28:46

I've been slightly put off trying the on-line grocery ordering because recently I was in a supermarket looking to buy my favourite apples, but all that were left in the box were half a dozen bruised and battered rejects. Just then a hand reached across in front of me and put these into a bag. I turned to see who on earth was prepared to buy apples in this condition - and it was a young man filling an on-line order. I would have loved to have seen the reaction of the lucky recipient when they opened their bag of apples!!!!!

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 17:47:46

Welcome May looking forward to chatting to you smile

numberplease Sat 26-Jan-13 17:37:57

Good to see you Mey, welcome.

Mey Sat 26-Jan-13 17:20:18

Hi I am new on Gransnet, Hello. I just wanted to say that Tesco are very good and fairly responsable with their orders and I have so far, not had any trouble at all.

feetlebaum Sat 26-Jan-13 17:00:03

Just to add my 4 penn'orth, I have had excellent service from Sainsbury's online. Sometimes the driver will telephone to ask if he can come early as he is nearby, and that's useful.

I have ticked a couple of 'no substitute' items - the most recent being 50litre kitchen bin bags -- the smaller ones they substituted being useless as they don't fit the bin!

glassortwo Sat 26-Jan-13 15:53:41

Tesco delivery booked for 10 till 12 this morning received a text at 2.20 to say delivery was cancelled due to bad weather.

DD has been out this morning and roads are fine so she phoned Tesco to complain that the text had not arrived until after 2pm, the helpline said store should have notified her before delivery slot so they have issued £20 goodwill voucher.

So she has booked a click and collect from a local store tomorrow and has transferred the cancelled order to tomorrows click and collect so at least she wont have to do the whole thing again.

But Tesco are usually very good and any substituted item is generally a high cost item which is only charged at the original cost, but you can refuse the substitute.

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:28:22

Great to hear it from your point of view dorset. Sounds like your customer service is really good. Would you have any idea about the thinking behind the delivery I got the other day (original post)? From Asda, by the way - I have always had great service from Ocado and Waitrose smile

dorsetpennt Sat 26-Jan-13 15:13:21

Like Butta I am a 'picker' , I work in the delivery department of a high end Supermarket - won't say who. I shop very carefully for my customers, ensuring that food is a]within the date b] that fruit and veg is not bruised or cut in anyway c] we are given 10 minutes to do a frozen pick and 25 minutes for a chilled pick. I keep well within that time, however if I think it's going to take longer I go back to the warehouse stop the pick and put what I have picked in the freezer/chiller. And start another pick. d] I never squash breads or cakes by putting tins on top of them. e] substitutes are as close to the customers previous request as I make it. It is a shame if a customer ticks NO in the substitute box as quite often the substitute is so close. However, that is the customer right.
Sometimes older customers are a bit confused with our metric weights [I did ask our Customer Service Department if we could have both, but no] One customer asked for 50grams of sliced meat - the counterstaff said it would be very tiny indeed - when I rang the customer she thought 50 grams was about half a pound. In the other direction a customer requested 6 kilos of bananas - I thought I'd better ring just in case - he meant 6 bananas. Another customer had asked that her organic fruit and veg have at least 7 days date on the package. Hard enough for non organic nearly impossible for organic - as there are no perservatives of course. So I asked our Fruit and Veg expert to phone her and explain. All part of the service.
Our delivery drivers do their best and in this awful weather have done sterling work indeed. They try very hard to keep to the slots requested by customers but at times may be a little late. Usually it's the traffic and as we are in a holiday resort can be really appalling in the summer.
Mistakes happen by both customers and the supermarket, but I think we try very hard indeed to give a good service.

Bruha Sat 26-Jan-13 12:53:53

Butty

Thanks for your remarks to my message I decided years ago when I got arthritis in my spine I was not going to give in and not to let Social Services patronise me (sorry a lot do) I do nearly everything on the internet just renewed my driving licence Only thing I can't get is cash so have to go to PO occasionally smile oh and I have a lovely dog walker I do missed my walks sad Trouble is my mind tells me I'm 20 odd my body tells me I'm 90 grin