Gransnet forums

AIBU

Online grocery deliveries - do you understand the twisted logic of grocery pickers?

(50 Posts)
whenim64 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:35:31

Busy week, so did an online grocery order to arrive in the evening, between 8 and 9 pm. It arrived at 11.55pm, by which time helplines for customer service were closed, although the driver did phone at 11.30 pm to say he might as well go home and deliver in the morning! I said 'no' because I was not going to be home in the morning. You know those occasions when you think things are not going to get any better?

Well, he arrived with my £65 order, and the delivery sheet said £72. Offers had been substituted for full price items, ice cream had melted, a birthday card for son (he's 33) said 'Happy Birthday One Year Old', the free range chicken was warm, and to top it all, I had ordered 5 tins of soup for £2 (mainly the sort I wouldn't make myself). Scotch broth, oxtail, Thai chicken, wild mushroom and tomato with basil had been dismissed and substituted with....wait for it.....three tins of low fat tomato, a tin of tomato and basil, and finally....a tin of cream of tomato!!!!

Loads of stuff sent back, and when I mentioned it to relatives the general reaction was 'yes, that happens to us all the time.'

Does anyone have inside knowledge of how groceries are selected when there is a problem with supplying the exact items ordered? I don't understand the thinking behind some of the items they decide I should have instead.

Incidentally, my brother said they cane home last weekend to find someone else's groceries in the porch. They hadn't placed an order. They phoned Asda, who said someone might come to collect them by the end of the evening (they live up in the hills, navigating the snowy roads was a problem that night). No-one came, so they put everything away and are enjoying a low budget shopping week! grin

Mishap Fri 25-Jan-13 11:52:53

I have never had any problems like this with either Tesco (my usual) or (occasionally) Waitrose and have been shopping online for many years as we live far from the shops. All substitutions are charged at the price of original items ordered, so I sometimes finish up with a bargain! In the main the subs are sensible and logical.

Change your supplier would be my advice!

whenim64 Fri 25-Jan-13 11:59:34

I should have known better. Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Ocado are great, but this order was from Asda, only because they had an offer on baby's nappies. Never again!

tanith Fri 25-Jan-13 12:03:02

My daughter often orders from Tesco if she doesn't have transport to shop and she says it works fine for her , substitutions charged at the original item price or they will list what they haven't been able to deliver but on the whole it works well for her.

Notsogrand Fri 25-Jan-13 12:07:26

Tesco delivery earlier today at my daughter's house....she'd ordered 5 bananas. Instead of a bunch of 5 bananas being picked (obvious?) they delivered 5 x pre-packed bags of bananas, a total of 30 fruit.

janthea Fri 25-Jan-13 12:08:09

I've used Waitrose without any problems, but my daughter uses Sainsburys and there always seem to be substitutions.

Movedalot Fri 25-Jan-13 12:12:49

I only once did online shopping and that was from Sainsburys. The quality of the fresh fruit and veg was so awful I never did it again.

Notso this reminds me of when I order 150 white roses from M & S and when I went to collect them they brought out a trolley with 150 bunches! They were very nice about it. smile

Notsogrand Fri 25-Jan-13 12:15:55

150 bunches of white roses must have looked lovely moved smile

Barrow Fri 25-Jan-13 13:01:15

I was considering doing an online order this weekend if I couldn't get the car out, hopefully it won't be necessary now we are forecast some rain. Do you have to order the day before or can you order on the day you want it delivered?

annodomini Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:55

Barrow, you have to book a delivery slot, so it's a good idea to do it sooner rather than later.

I ordered from Tesco after a couple of joint replacements and was puzzled to receive a tin of Ambrosia rice pudding - it didn't seem to have been substituted for anything else, so probably someone was missing their Ambrosia. I can't remember eating it, so it could be at the back of a cupboard somewhere! blush

gracesmum Fri 25-Jan-13 13:16:26

I use Ocado and they are terrific - always within the delivery slot (occasionally early) or they phone ahead and there is also the online facility to request refunds for wrong item/substituted item/missing or damaged item /leaky yogurt etc and they always cough up!I occasionally get a bonus i.e. something I haven't ordered, last time if was a jar of Daylesford organic Christmas marmalade which no doubt someone was missing blush The only lack of logic I ever spot is the number of bags they use - sometimes just one item in a bag.

whenim64 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:27:13

That's my experience of Ocado, too gracesmum. I always wait till they email me a £20 off voucher, and combine it with other offers to stock up my cupboards and freezer - they work out cheaper than Tesco that way. Waitrose are equally reliable.

numberplease Fri 25-Jan-13 15:42:51

We regularly shop online with Asda, occasionally Tesco, no real problems. If they substitute anything with something unsuitable, they`ll always take it back and refund hubby`s debit card. Only once had a delivery come late, and then only by a few minutes, quite often they are early, which isn`t always convenient, but we put up with it, it`s better than being late. The main problem with Asda is them knowingt the difference between an unsliced loaf and a sliced one, I nearly every week have to return a small sliced loaf sent instead of an unsliced one!

mrshat Fri 25-Jan-13 17:09:52

What a nightmare when. I seldom shop on line but have used Sainsburys, Waitrose and Ocado in the past. All of them were excellent. Both DDs shop on line using Waitrose and Sainsburys in the main and both are very pleased with the service and the produce.

Mishap Fri 25-Jan-13 18:00:03

If you finish up with 5 bags of bananas (or anything) instead of 5 individual items, Tesco just take them back and refund with no quibble - they know that people do this online.

I once ordered 4 bags of tomatoes and the driver just laughed and said people do it all the time and he took them back fine.

Butty Fri 25-Jan-13 18:33:51

This grocery picker never has a problem. I don't shop on line. I pick what I want when I want it.
Couldn't stand the hassle of misunderstood/wrong/late/never arriving/given to someone else orders.

Bruha Fri 25-Jan-13 19:26:05

I do 99% of my shopping on line as I'm crippled with arthritis. Tried Tesco first but wasn't impressd then ASDA started delivery round here and can honestly say have had no trouble and they delivered thru all weathers if they are going to be late drivers will ring and tell you and like someone else said when they substitute you always get at the price of the original order I have also had very pricy substitues and if I have had things delivered which I did not order they always tell me to keep them.
Ordering on line has been a godsend to me as I don't have to keep asking my neighbours and friends not that they mind but I do

Notsogrand Fri 25-Jan-13 20:04:59

I'm house/4 teenagers/dog/3 cats/snake sitting while my DD & SIL are away Mishap....I didn't open all of the bags until the driver had gone and I don't have DD's account details to phone for refund etc.
So the kids' challenge for this weekend is to eat as many bananas as they can and come up with ideas for ways I can cook them. grin

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 09:25:01

I've been thinking about your response Bruha, and I can see how important home deliveries are for you, and what a good thing they are for many. It's nice to know you have such a positive attitude to the service. smile

absent Sat 26-Jan-13 09:32:35

I just tick the boxes that say "no substitute" unless I really don't care. My six-weekly Sainsbury delivery is usually the first one in the hourly time slot because it is bulky with lots of bags of cat litter and lots of disgusting lager for Mr absent so the driver wants to get it out of the way. I have never known them be late but once or twice they have rung to ask if they can come early. I never order or, for that matter, buy fresh vegetables, fruit, meat or fish from a supermarket.

Bags Sat 26-Jan-13 09:53:18

Yes, if you say you don't want substitutes for your favourite things, silly subs won't be a problem. Asda is the only one that delivers to where I am. Never had a problem with their substitutes because I untick the box for things I really don't want substitutes for.

They charge the cost of the ordered item even if the sub is more expensive. once there was a mistake about this because the substitute was a smaller amount. I rang. They sorted it and paid me a refund.

There are quite a few things I'd like to get but which Asda don't sell, but since they are the only company that will deliver to us, they get my custom. What they do is done well in my experience.

If you live off the beaten track and don't have a car to hand all the time, grocery deliveries are great. The delivery charge is also quite a lot less than it would cost me to drive to the shops myself. They even carry all the stuff up the hill if it's too icy to drive up.

No complaints.

Bags Sat 26-Jan-13 09:54:52

Anyway, isn't being able to send unwanted subs back a positive thing rather than a negative one?

Bags Sat 26-Jan-13 10:01:21

PS There's no such thing as twisted logic. #justsaying.

Orca Sat 26-Jan-13 10:12:06

Cold Play 'Twisted Logic' #justpointofinterest

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 10:18:36

In the 'good old days' I would hand in our weekly order at the grocer's shop on the way to school every Tuesday. The delivery boy brought it on his bike in the afternoon and would leave the box on the back doorstep if mum was out. Account was paid at the end of the month. The fish man came round twice a week.