Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that cancer is portrayed very badly by cancer charities

(43 Posts)
JessM Thu 21-Feb-13 18:30:21

There is a Macmillan ad on TV. You get a cancer diagnosis and fall - presumably never to get to your feet again.
If you're lucky then there is a Macmillan nurse to catch you. I think this is a very negative message - many cancers are curable these days and a diagnosis is not a death sentence for everyone. I don't think this kind of advert helps people to cope.
And as for this ad:
www.breastcancercare.org.uk/news/blog/breast-cancer-care-joins-forces-mc-saatchi-mill-launch-innovative-advertising-campaign-support-woman
Did they get Damien Hirst in to design it? He likes doing things with pills. I think it is a terrible ad. If I had seen that just after being diagnosed as having breast cancer it would certainly not have made me feel better!

whenim64 Thu 07-Mar-13 14:20:35

Rosiebee flowers you're in good hands with Macmillan and their vast experience is second to none. Take care x

Rosiebee Thu 07-Mar-13 14:02:39

Thanks all for kind thoughts and best wishes.It's so hard at the moment to talk to people I know and this lovely website is like an outlet for me. We've been in touch with Macmillan and they're getting back to us. I know someone will come and it will be such a relief to ask all those scary questions in our own home where it doesn't matter that I use up a box of tissues while they're talking and listening. I know they see my DH as a person and not just a victim. Promise I'll be writing to the Prostate Cancer research about their ads, this week. Will post if I get a reply.

maxgran Wed 06-Mar-13 11:24:44

I thought that ad was good!
Its about how you may 'feel' when you are diagnosed - Its about feeling alone and about how there is help and support there for you
Its not about cancer being a death sentence! or about never getting up again?!

The support is there for everyone - not just people who will die!

People need support and I hope it encourages people to seek and accept that support.

My baby Grandson was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at 1 month old - He is now 10 months old and well after months of treatment. My son & wife had the support of a couple of charities, including McMillan, throughout.
It WAS like being caught from falling !

Grannybug Mon 04-Mar-13 09:50:12

I agree rosiebee re Macmillan advert. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer I felt as if I was falling. Also felt that if started crying I would never stop. Such strong heightened emotions at a time when you feel so vulnerable. We decided to live in the' now' and enjoy each and every moment and its now 7 years since diagnosis and we continue to live by this principle. Hope your husband responds well to his treatment and look after yourself as being the partner of someone with cancer can be a lonely place. Thinking of you both.

Flowerofthewest Mon 04-Mar-13 09:30:21

here's hoping for good results Rosiebee, thinking of you

Jadey Mon 04-Mar-13 00:22:12

Hi rosiebee I really do think you could write to magazines etc because you are so right in saying we should not make it look scarey, as then people will not go checked out. I am so sorry for what you are going through with your DH but Doctors can do so much these days that hopefully all will be ok with relevant treatment.

Rosiebee Sun 03-Mar-13 19:09:16

Hi Jadey
I've just seen an advert on TV, for the first time, on behalf of the Prostate Cancer research. It's dreadful. My poor DH who's just been diagnosed with the wretched disease looked horrified. I was thinking of writing to them about their adverts in papers and magazines but this will definitely make me put my thoughts into writing. I do see what they are trying to do but this was such a scarey ad that I do believe it could stop people going to see their docs and if you're awaiting treatment it just increases the fear factor. Which is pretty high already.
I feel ok with the Macmillan one as I think they're trying to show how people can feel when they're first diagnosed. it does feel as though you are falling and they are there to support you.

Jadey Sat 02-Mar-13 21:25:22

Hi jessm I can understand were you are coming from and you are also speaking form experience but I think what they are trying to say is, they will be there to catch you when you fall.

Having said all of that I get what you are saying that it is very dramitic falling and does give you the impression that it is going to be difficult to get up and is quite a daunting ad.

Perhaps you could get in touch with them and put your point across, as you have experienced it, I am sure that your opinion will be valued.

I do hope that its all behind you now and thanks for making the point that cancer is no longer a death sentence.

Also if the advert was not sooo scarey more people would go to get checked out at the Docs if they are worried about anything.

So your approach would probably save lives because they would be more willing to go checked out.

Stansgran Sat 02-Mar-13 21:23:42

Oncologists have a reputation for treating a disease rather than a person. Always remind yourselves that you own the body ,the beast that is cancer doesn't. All good wishes.

JessM Sat 02-Mar-13 20:48:01

Sorry to hear that news rosiebee. Oncologists are never optimists and always list all the side effects because they are obliged to. I can see you have had some feedback on your new thread as well as here. I hope your DH responds well to the treatment.

gracesmum Sat 02-Mar-13 15:37:27

Rosiebee if you would like to pm me for geographical details, we have a friend whose prostate cancer has spread to his pelvis but is now on a trial of a type of chemo specifically for this variation. he has had the hormone treatment - not a lot worse than some menopausal symptoms in his case, I believe,and is both looking well and feeling very positive.

Rosiebee Sat 02-Mar-13 15:28:53

All you lovely ladies really know how to make a girl cry. Thanks so much for all your best wishes. Sadly we found out that the cancer is advanced and has spread into lymph nodes in the pelvic area. It's almost unbelievable as DH feels and looks so well. He's had no symptoms apart from some blood in his wee that started off all the tests and scans. It's such an evil disease that gets a hold on you before you're aware of it and then it's too late.
On the positive side it hasn't spread to the bones or other organs. He starts Hormone treatment on Tuesday to slow it down and then it's just a case of waiting to see if that works. The side effects sound dreadful and I can feel that he's thinking is it worth it. The consultant we saw was very straight with us but she wouldn't be drawn on a long term prognosis - not even to looking at 2 years down the line. Devastated just doesn't come in to it.
Thanks again for your lovely support. I'm going to put a post on the Health forum to see if anyone has experience of seeing someone through this Hormone treatment. I need to be practical and positive with DH to see him through this.
Rosiebee x

JessM Fri 01-Mar-13 20:58:34

let us know how you got on rosiebee

Butty Fri 01-Mar-13 19:15:19

Rosiebee All the very best wishes to you and your husband.

Grannyknot Fri 01-Mar-13 19:13:20

I mean forgot that my BILs had prostrate cancer...

Grannyknot Fri 01-Mar-13 19:12:48

Rosiebee there are so many men now who are good role models for successful treatment of prostrate cancer, two that come to mind are Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu, and 2 of my brother-in-laws! There must be dozens on others. In fact I even forgot that they had it until now. Big hug and good wishes flowers and sunshine to you and husband.

dottilind Fri 01-Mar-13 19:03:47

Rosiebee my heart goes out to you and I hope that everthing is fine for you and your hubby. Take care and you will get that holiday, xxxsunshine

Galen Fri 01-Mar-13 14:09:48

Good luck!
Keep us posted.
Remember we are always here for you if you need us?flowers

whenim64 Fri 01-Mar-13 13:45:32

Good luck Rosiebee. I hope things have turned out ok for you both flowers

Ella46 Fri 01-Mar-13 13:27:46

Rosiebee best wishes flowers

annodomini Fri 01-Mar-13 12:15:31

Thinking of you and your OH,*Rosiebee*. I hope the prognosis is good and that you get your holiday in due course. [fingers crossed emoticon]

Rosiebee Fri 01-Mar-13 11:38:15

It's ironic JessM that we're going to see the oncolgist today to get the full results and prognosis, when this was the day we were booked to go on our Big Trip to Hong Kong and Thailand. I should actually be panicking now about 'have I packed everything' instead of which we're both in a state of dread about what the doctor will say. DH is determined that at the first even slight opportunity we'll be off to somewhere warm. I just want him to be well. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

JessM Thu 28-Feb-13 17:08:08

Glad they cheered you up. I also used to say to myself that it was very fortunate that the cancer was not in an essential organ. Can live very happily without all or part of a breast.

Ella46 Thu 28-Feb-13 15:43:15

Thanks for those stats Jess,they are very encouraging, I just wanted to put another point of view. smile

JessM Thu 28-Feb-13 15:03:59

Sorry to hear that ella46. Such a diagnosis is always a shock. Having recovered from breast cancer I remember it well. An emotional roller coaster. It is great that she survived ovarian cancer.
There are very good survival rates in breast cancer. 85% are still alive 5 years after diagnosis and 77% after 10 years. (In other words most of those who survive the 5 years probably end up dying of something else)