Gransnet forums

AIBU

Washing machine

(28 Posts)
Galen Fri 22-Feb-13 11:03:10

Am I being unreasonable to think that being a month without a washing machine is too much.?
My machine broke down three weeks ago. John lewis eventually contacted a repair firm who took two weeks to come out, said the mother board was gone and would have to order a new one! Today they've just rung to say that the part hasn't arrived and they haven't another appointment til next Friday! This was an expensive tumbler drier less than two years old!

grrrranny Fri 22-Feb-13 11:51:32

Nope - not unreasonable. Is it a washing machine (thread title) or tumble drier or one of those that washes and then drys. Not sure if it makes a difference but the combined machine may have a more complex motherboard not readily available? That is rubbish really as it doesn't matter. Expensive machine should last longer than two years - not fit for purpose or similar. I'm surprised you haven't fired off an eloquent email to John Lewis hmm

harrigran Fri 22-Feb-13 11:55:04

No you are not being unreasonable Galen back on the phone to John Lewis now and tell them it is not good enough. I got satisfaction when I told them that I was losing confidence in John Lewis and not sure that I would be able to spend money in the shop again.

Galen Fri 22-Feb-13 12:02:21

I've just got off the phone to JL , they are trying to get a replacement from LG.
LG's systems are down! I have made my displeasure strongly known.
Yes it is an all singing all dancing washer tumbler drier that weighs the wash etc.

glammanana Fri 22-Feb-13 14:08:53

Good for you Galen I'm very surprised JL took so long in coming good when DS1 had problem with his washer after 18mths they did a complete exchange within two weeks,I did once have a combination washer/dryer but as mentioned the workings are more complicated and I returned to having separate machines but I understand if space is needed we can't always have two machines.

Galen Fri 22-Feb-13 14:51:40

They haven't got it yet. I'm still waiting for them to come back to me!

Galen Fri 22-Feb-13 15:25:16

They've just rung back. lG are giving them the runaround. They're not happy with LG at all. Apparently no one is available to talk to JL.
I'm never going to buy another LG product!angry

grrrranny Fri 22-Feb-13 20:08:03

Is that the same LG that make phones?

Galen Fri 22-Feb-13 20:19:31

I think so. They make all sort of electrical/ electronic goods .

petra Sat 23-Feb-13 09:50:15

When ever I read threads like this I am so grateful for my " Mr Fix it in the Cupboard" as my friends call my OH.
You can buy a Mother Board. They area not expensive and once you see how easy it is to replace you realise how much they are taking the p*##
Not that I have ever thought any different about people who " repair" things.

Ariadne Sat 23-Feb-13 10:02:01

So, the mother board is the thing that ensures everything else works? How apt! grin

JessM Sat 23-Feb-13 10:06:32

I think LG originally stood for Lucky Goldstar but when they spread beyond the far east someone must have told them it was a bit naff.
Washer dryers are troublesome creatures in my experience - very slow, limited capacity and once started on the (wrong, 16 hour) programme you cant bale out.

petra Sat 23-Feb-13 17:04:27

Yes,Ariadne. That's the board that everything works from.
If you want one, look in your local directory for Washing M/C repair people. They will sell you one. Well at least our one in Southend does.

petra Sat 23-Feb-13 17:22:29

I just had to add on from my last post because I get so angry about the " mystique" surrounding washing m/c breakdowns.
I learnt a great deal when i worked for Hoover. Because it is a big lump, people assume there must be lots of complicated stuff going on in there.
One of the worst things that can happen is when the water will not pump out.
This will more than likely be that there is something in the pump, probably a bra bone. The pump is probably the easiest thing to get to. I know this from experience. I fixed my own about 40 years ago.
My OH replaced the bearings for £10. Can you imagin what they would charge for that.

annodomini Sat 23-Feb-13 17:25:32

My first washing machine was a 'Friday afternoon' Hotpoint and was always getting baby socks stuck in the pump. Not long ago, I had to send for the repair man - 10p was lodged in the pump. blush

harrigran Sat 23-Feb-13 17:42:05

I never put bras or small items in the washer without putting them in zip mesh bags. A very cheap bag can save you an absolute fortune in repairs.

Galen Sat 23-Feb-13 18:07:10

Mine has a 9k load, so it takes my duvet.

glammanana Sun 24-Feb-13 11:48:41

Quite a few years ago The repair man came to fix washing machine and was chatting with DH and told him the most common complaint was when the "brushes"/"bushes" wore down and would not let the water drain or move onto a spin,this complaint often had the repair men telling customers that they needed a new motor when in fact at the time to replace the said worn parts cost about £6.00 in total.For many years DH has replaced these parts on mine and DDs washer saving many £s.

JessM Sun 24-Feb-13 12:42:30

you put your duvet in the washing machine? What do you do to get it dirty? Or is it asthma that's the issue?

Tegan Sun 24-Feb-13 12:53:46

I had a machine repaired years ago and was told that the repair man would try new bearings but it really needed something that probably cost as much as a new machine. I just went with the new bearings. It lasted for years. There aren't too many things I miss about my ex husband but I do miss the fact that he could repair just about anything. I used to crave just something new sometimes [you should have seen the cars we had; the kids were embarrassed to be picked up from school in them..not old classics like Volvos and suchlike but Chrysler Alpines and Princesses sad].

annodomini Sun 24-Feb-13 13:32:15

Ah, thanks, harri. Next time I decided to launder any money I'll put it in a mesh bag first. grin I did once wash my debit card and it got seriously distorted. The bank must have been used to this scenario because they took it in their stride.

Galen Mon 25-Feb-13 20:46:47

angry after numerous calls to John lewis who insisted that they were getting no response from lg!
Tonight I finally lost my cool and started quoting sale of goods act and fit for purpose!
The adviser agreed to speak to the senior management!
They are going to arrange for a different machine! A hot point!
I'll believe it when I see it!

Galen Tue 26-Feb-13 19:02:15

Success! I have a new hot point being delivered on Monday! And as its almost £400 cheaper than the LG (which has also come down I'm price) I get the difference refunded!

harrigran Tue 26-Feb-13 19:25:04

Result Galen smile

Stansgran Tue 26-Feb-13 20:00:30

Should have insisted on a Miele Galen . I was tempted to pm you . Wish I had but didn't want to be accused of advertising