Gransnet forums

AIBU

"Customer service"

(55 Posts)
girlracer Sun 10-Mar-13 10:25:27

Is it just me, or are there others out there who cannot stand shop assistants who, instead of asking if I need any help, or am happy just browsing, say "ARE YOU ALRIGHT THERE?" I swear one day I will answer "No, actually, I am about to drop to the floor with a heart attack, are you a trained first-aider" Also, when people say "I'm fine" when asked if they would like, say, another cup of tea. I didn't ask how you were, I asked if you wanted another drink! Maybe I should just accept this is 21st century speak!

Ana Tue 12-Mar-13 20:34:06

The checkout staff say that in our local Asda - even if there was no one before you...confused But their staff are much friendlier than they are at Tesco!

fillygumbo Tue 12-Mar-13 20:59:49

It made me smile girlracer the thought of your suggestion of heart attack sounded just like "one foot in the grave"
What gets me nowadays is everyone seems to say thank you sooo much t sounds so gushing.

positivepam Tue 12-Mar-13 22:12:01

I find it quite strange that anyone would have a problem with hospital staff asking how you want to be addressed and that you think it is a clear implication that they would think you are an awkward patient. They are just asking what you would like to be called, ie. by your first name or mrs etc. it is not a judgement call, but trying to make you feel comfortable and not presuming to call you by your first name as some "older" women do not like being addressed in this way by someone younger.

Ana Tue 12-Mar-13 22:19:00

I had missed that post, positivepam, and I agree with you - I think hospital staff do this because in the past there was much criticism of the trend towards addressing all patients by their first names. Surely it's not seen as being 'awkward' to wish to be called 'Mrs' or 'Mr' Whatever?