Gransnet forums

AIBU

Comic Relief

(98 Posts)
Grandmanorm Fri 15-Mar-13 19:50:41

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that some of the stuff on Comic Relief this year is most unsuitable for such an early part of the evening?
I feel sad. I was so looking forward to Call the Midwife and I thought is was awful.
I know I am old, but.........
Just glad I am not watching with my grandchildren or indeed my mother (long gone but sure you know what I mean).

Orca Sun 17-Mar-13 22:39:37

Ian42 you have no idea. I knew it wouldn't be long before someone came up with this hackneyed view; but very pleased there so many informed GNetters who are not afraid to see the bigger picture.

absent Mon 18-Mar-13 07:41:25

How interesting that feelings can run so high about charitable fund raising. I don't make a donation to Comic Relief and have never watched the "entertainment" although I have seen odd bits and pieces in passing. Of course I have absolutely no objection to such a large sum of money being raised for charitable purposes whether in the UK or abroad, of course I give due credit to the kindness of those who do donate to this charity and if some people enjoy the television programme, well, that's fine too. I choose a different approach to charitable donations – and that's okay as well. What's the problem?

soop Mon 18-Mar-13 11:17:37

Ariadne flowers Thank you for saying what it is I wish to say [only I cannot find the right words]

Aspen Mon 18-Mar-13 11:54:00

To get back to my original comment why after seventy years and billions in money not only from this county (other countries are just as generous) why is Africa still is such a state?

nanaej: I do not consider myself ignorant regarding my suggestion on plastic pipes, we regularly see pictures of sewage and rubbish strewn streets which is simple to sort out. My sister lives in rural Scotland with no mains facilities and has to adapt. All these projects you mention,especially schools, where are the products of these facilities i.e. the people who should be helping? Britain has more resources? We keep being told our main money makers are the bankers that is why they are being protected. Much of Africa is rich in natural resources. What happened to the mosquito control projects. I remember the DDT disaster but several years ago they embarked on trials to make the malarial mosquito infertile, where did that go? We continually send nets which are often used for fishing!

Nelliemoser: We are a rich country? Economics is not my strong point so I would like somebody to explain to me how you are considered rich when you owe trillions of pounds. I must be really rich as I have no debts.

j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:12:25

Aspen Did you watch it at all? confused Lennie Henry went to great lengths to show exactly where previous years' moneys had gone to.

Are little babies with malaria really "basket cases".

Do you think you might be on the wrong forum Aspen?

whenim64 Mon 18-Mar-13 12:17:38

I would struggle to compare rural Scotland and its population and climate, with more than 50 African countries, massive populations, with extremes of drought and lack of infrastructure. Access to Africa's interior countries, crossing other countries to bring building plant machinery to put roads, drainage and rail networks in place will take much more than Comic Relief's contributions, but despite this, Africa is beginning to make progress. We should keep supporting them.

soop Mon 18-Mar-13 12:18:17

Aspen Your lack of compassion makes me want to weep.

Aspen Mon 18-Mar-13 12:46:36

soop, I have been sitting here considering my reply as I really believe when giving to charity or doing a good deed it should be done quietly without need for acknowledgement. Dry your tears and let me possibly redeem myself!

It is half way through March and as I look back over 2013 I am not ashamed of my charitable giving. I have sponsored two friends on charity walks, worked for two week helping on a giant sale which raised over £25,000 for various charities, I work two morning a month in a charity coffee shop, once a month in another, I have attended a neighbour's coffee morning and also a Christian Aid lunch plus a few other odds and ends. I have friends who do much more and we are all pensioners.

Nobody ever answers my question. Where has all the vast amount of money gone?

whenim64 Mon 18-Mar-13 13:07:11

Yes Aspen until the last few years, billions of Aid money was embezzled by African politicans, not by sick children or small communties suffering because of drought. Aid providers have become smarter in finding ways to cut through red tape and get aid directly to those who need it, whilst the United Nations addresses the bigger picture.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/02/aid-africa-growth-tony-blair

whenim64 Mon 18-Mar-13 13:07:55

Sorry didn't convert the link

www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/02/aid-africa-growth-tony-blair

j08 Mon 18-Mar-13 13:11:41

click here Aspen

soop Mon 18-Mar-13 13:15:34

Thanks, jings and when

Butty Mon 18-Mar-13 13:27:15

Good comment when and thanks for the link.

As regards answering your question, Aspen - Where has all the money gone - all I can say is that when I donate money, I have to trust that a little (and hopefully much more than a little) will trickle down to those who can benefit from it. I concentrate on the education of girls and women. I don't spread myself too thinly. I'm also aware that cultures are different and imposing our culture onto another is not necessarily a good thing to do.
There's something else about giving as well. It's not just about the end result. It's about modelling behaviour. If I was in enormous need of sanitation, food and education, I would not only value the actual financial benefit that might alleviate such dire conditions, but would value the care and concern engendered by such donations.

soop Mon 18-Mar-13 13:55:18

flowers sunshine smile for Butty

whenim64 Mon 18-Mar-13 14:12:26

Jingle what a great link. I haven't looked on there before. All the money raised by Comic Relief is accounted for on there, at home and internationally. Worth looking at.

BAnanas Mon 18-Mar-13 14:38:25

When my kids were young I used to throw myself into the spirit of Red Nose Day, like many I thought it was a great idea. However, it's just being going on for too long it's become jaded and there are some celebrities that come across smug and somewhat hectoring in their tone. I don't include David Walliams because of some of the monumental tasks he has undertaken for this cause and the money he has raised, I do believe he has a big heart, when he swam the Thames he came past the gardens where we live and we were all cheering him on. He certainly suffered a day or two later when he came down with a horrible stomach bug. Someone on this thread said they would like to shoot James Corden, definitely agree with that one, could there be a bigger show off? I saw him in "One Man Two Guvnors" fine in that but hate his irritating school boy persona when he is out of character.

I have read articles by Africans, who say that usual thing about much of the money being misappropriated and that it is not empowering in the least. One example cited was that there was a thriving cottage industry in the repair of mosquito nets until they were sent wholesale from the West resulting in the demise of this type of work. There also seems to be an attitude by successive governments, that it's inevitable that some money will end up in the hands of the wrong people but that doesn't matter too much as long as they can be seen to be doing something for the greater good. I am sure Bill Gates makes sure that his programmes are properly administered and the money gets to those who need it, so why can't other providers of aid do that.

I'd also love to know how much aid the Chinese are giving to Africa because their presence in that continent sure as hell isn't anything to do with alturism!

Aspen Mon 18-Mar-13 17:31:09

Where did I say "little babies with malaria" were basket cases? Vast over simplification I would say. They are not in power. Rural Scotland is not like Africa but the problem of removing human waste is similar no matter where you are. When Africa was colonised it was a rich fertile country in the most part - and before anyone accuses me of advocating return to colonisation - Don't. Cruel, patronising and arrogant to say the least. I reluctantly clicked on your suggested web, When, as it is connected to Tony Blair, one of the world's biggest liars, it says it all. jO8 did you read my comments to soop? Butty, very philosophical, but when you put your hand in your pocket and feel you have done your bit don't you feel a little curious about what is going on?

JessM Mon 18-Mar-13 18:37:16

Aspen aren't you forgetting:
1. That the UK is a very rich country because we benefitted from the slave trade and colonial exploitation over several centuries. An effective machine for hoovering up wealth - a one way pipe from "the empire" straight into the pockets of all those rich British people who spent it on all those heritage buildings and getting themselves positioned to take advantage of the industrial revolution.
2. We then backed out of ruling african countries at a speed of knots when it became apparent that the cost of maintaining british rule started to look frightening (kenyan rebellion etc). Leaving those countries without an adequately trained civil service etc.
3. And in the last few decades AIDS has been ripping its way through Africa on an unimaginable speed.

Butty Mon 18-Mar-13 19:57:30

Aspen I certainly am curious, philosophical and also remain informed. I support very specifically, because I believe that ensures more finance trickles through to those who need it.
Education for girls and women influences so many spheres: confidence, health, welfare and security and the infrastructure that is needed to go along with all of that will continue to develop.

gordony Mon 18-Mar-13 21:05:24

same opinion as you,Jadey.Top priority for those countries shoud be birth control

Deedaa Mon 18-Mar-13 22:11:07

My daughter went to a wedding in Kenya with some work colleagues and her boss was so appalled by the poverty he saw that he started sending money as soon as he got home. He eventually stopped when he found that hardly any of it had reached its destination. It's very sad becausehe's not a man known for his empathy, so the things he saw must have been pretty bad.

nanaej Mon 18-Mar-13 22:18:58

As a child I lived in E Africa at the end of the colonial era. There were then, as I am sure there are now, very many well educated, hard working decent men and women. I think some comments have shown a lot of prejudiced opinions about Africans..who are as different and varied as Europeans,which I guess most GNs are.

We comment on these forums as if solving the continual problems of drought, famine, poverty, disease and war is something a bit of common sense and contraception could sort out. It is so very complex!

The huge impact that colonialism has had on the areas that were under foreign control had enormous negative effects as well as some positive ones.

Funding some small scale relief and development programmes will not change everything but it might bring hope and a future for groups of people like you and me, who just want a decent life.