Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that chicken is produced in the UK?

(32 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 16:07:49

Sorry, my last post was in answer to gracesmum. You're right, gangy5, we don't know nearly as much about the chicken which is imported as we should about chicken produced in the UK. In future, I shall get my chicken from the local butcher, who knows where it comes from, and will make my own wraps!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 16:03:51

Good idea! Thank you. I shall do that next. So far I have had an unsigned email saying that they will forward my comments to the store and share them with the team (which team? Forfar Athletic? Real Madrid?). I have replied to the effect that I am complaining about their buying chicken from Thailand, not their customer service, asked for my complaint to be sent to the person responsible and pointed out that it is considered polite, even on an email, to sign one's name.

gangy5 Thu 21-Mar-13 16:03:12

Yes Wheniwasyourage because the man at the top of Tesco promised a month ago that all Chicken was to be sourced from Britain. We have been importing chicken from Thailand for some years now - are there any welfare standards, what are they fed etc. etc. ????

gracesmum Thu 21-Mar-13 15:52:27

I was thinkiing that maybe the threat of it might add more weight? Big name firms do not like bad publicity.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 15:46:44

No. It takes me all my time to keep up with email and GN so I have resisted both Facebook and Twitter. There's little enough dusting gets done in this house as it is!

gracesmum Thu 21-Mar-13 15:41:41

That would have made me so angry - on several counts too- food miles, British farmers, living conditions for poultry, avian flu, waste of bl***y money and the whole Tesco ethos as well! angry Hope your complaint is effective. (Are you on Twitter? Sounds like a valid Tweet)

Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 15:38:08

This lunchtime I treated myself to a chicken wrap from Tesco. It tasted fine but I was horrified to see, on reading the packet(which I should have done before I bought it, I know, I know), that it was made with chicken from Thailand. shock Have I missed the announcement that we do not produce chicken any more? Buying mangoes from Thailand is one thing, but chicken!! There are so many problems with this - support for British farmers, food miles, animal welfare queries - that I'm not sure where to begin. I have complained and will see what, if anything transpires - I'll let you know. [seething emoticon]