Gransnet forums

AIBU

To avoid doing what I should be doing as it's so boring.

(61 Posts)
gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 13:42:58

Should be starting that stupid ridiculous annoying irritating
bloody RTI (real time paye whatsit) today. Can't be arsed bothered so messing around here instead which is so much more fun. shock

julika Sun 14-Apr-13 15:49:41

Before you start ironing, just make sure what you buy. There are more non-iron clothes in the shop than ones that need ironing!

Another good tip: you never need to chop onions again, you can buy them frozen, ready-chopped and much neater than you would do it by hand.

The above two tips came after I broke my right shoulder - and you know what? It was worth it!

glassortwo Sat 13-Apr-13 20:55:02

Well I am avoiding cooking the evening meal, DD is doing it for a change and I am having a glass of red.

Welcome to GN auntieboddie sunshine

Deedaa Sat 13-Apr-13 20:51:52

Oh chocolate cake everytime Bez grin Is there anyone out there who would rather iron???

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 20:49:58

I have a closet full of clothes and seem to pick the wash and wear clothes over the Always ironed ones.

Bez Sat 13-Apr-13 20:42:20

I now have two baskets of ironing!! Went to visit a friend celebrating their birthday and six of us sat in the sun eating chocolate cake.grin

Yofab Sat 13-Apr-13 20:35:40

If you feel like ironing - lie down on settee until feeling goes away!

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 20:30:16

You'd think if she took the time to Hoover for marks she might as well of plugged it in!

Woody Sat 13-Apr-13 20:23:52

I have a friend (honest!) who hated housework so used to run the hoover - unplugged - up and down the carpet so it made wheel marks and then sprayed the air with furniture polish so that her DH thought she had done the housework!! i have to admit I have done the spray polish bit before now but not the hoover marks!

Enviousamerican Sat 13-Apr-13 19:56:42

my mother told me she ironed my diapers and I was the youngest of three.I think she was pleased to have me cause of a miscarriage before me.

Maniac Sat 13-Apr-13 18:12:16

gracesmum your thread gave me a good laugh.great way of dealing with ironing!
Greatnan ironing on the floor! thought of it make my back ache.I couldn't get up and down.
I do minimal ironing- usually whilst watching TV .or listening to a good CD.

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 09:13:02

Good for you Bez playing in the garden is so much more fun that ironing and you will get more pleasure from planting that beautiful fuschia than you ever will from ironing your smalls ! grin

Bez Sat 13-Apr-13 09:10:09

I managed to avoid the ironing yesterday but feel I really must do it today before I plant up a couple of tubs for the patio - bought a beautiful fuschia yesterday for one of them - that was while I was avoiding the ironing!grin

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 08:53:01

Welcome to Gransnet auntieboddie smile

auntieboddie Sat 13-Apr-13 08:50:27

nelliemoser
Sorry for not introducing myself-yes I am new to GN. Thank you for the welcome.smile

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 19:32:18

Auntieboddie are you new to GN? welcome anyway.

If you have a spare bedroom just stick the basket of ironing and the iron in therer and wait untill you need to wear whatever it is needs ironing.
DH does his own but takes hours! He has been known to steam iron everything, sheets included on a single thickness of fabric. #sinkingheart.

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 19:00:22

I think I have just worked out my DH's strategy for avoiding some of the housework. Pretend that you can't stack the dishwasher, pretend that you don't know that white blouses and black jeans can't go in the washing machine together,pretend that you don't know what day the bin gets emptied...... Bloody hell why has it taken me so long to cotton on?????

[grrrrr I'm on to you emoticon]

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 17:47:04

Moved, that sounds like a good strategy! A number of couples I know fall out over the stacking of the dishwasher, but as I live on my own, I have no such conflict! wink

sunseeker Fri 12-Apr-13 16:34:56

Just after I last posted received a phone call from a friend, she has hurt her ankle and hasn't been able to go out shopping, so off I went and did some shopping for her and then, of course, had to stay for a coffee and a chat - so the damn ironing is still not done!

auntieboddie Fri 12-Apr-13 13:22:24

gracesmum

really like your suggestion. Does anyone else think it would be much easier if we just had feathers or fur? think of the time, energy and money we would save?

gracesmum Fri 12-Apr-13 12:48:04

You could treat the ironing basket like the compost heap- after 6 months or so turn it upside down and start taking things off the (new) top. They will have been squashed ironed flat by the weight of the clothes on top of them, And it saves on wardrobe and drawer space. Result!

auntieboddie Fri 12-Apr-13 12:39:36

I too still have a basket of ironing and it's afternoon already.

What I really don't understand is that now there is so little ironing, just OH and myself, compared to when there was a house full of teenagers, the ironing takes me twice as long to do! I know I'm getting older but it's ridiculous how much time I take procrastinating-see I'm doing it now.

Aah well-tomorrow is another day!

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 11:36:18

anno apparently I load the dischwasher so badly that I am not allwed to do it anymore! Oh dear, what a shame.......... grin Perhaps you should take a leaf out of my book?

sunseeker Fri 12-Apr-13 11:04:00

Bother - that basket of ironing is still there! sad

I have never understood people who like ironing - I had a friend who ironed everything - surely you can get therapy for that!

Oh well, it's not going to do itself so I suppose I had better start ..... unless any of you can think of something better grin

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 10:13:34

That reminds me, it's time I unloaded the dish washer!

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 09:20:13

petra you are not alone! I really enjoy ironing, especially when there is something good on the radio. I think it is something to do with getting order out of chaos, quickly! The rest of my life is freuqently chaotic.

Agree with Ana gilly lightened our day. I plan to seek her out next time I am in need. flowers for gilly