Gransnet forums

AIBU

People Who Annoy me!!

(94 Posts)
mrsmopp Mon 15-Apr-13 22:39:29

There are people who pick up their doggie-do's in a plastic bag (good) but then helpfully tie the bag to the nearest tree or hedge - one even hooked it to my front gate!
There are people on public transport who sit in the aisle seat with their bags on the window seat and look at me very huffily with deep sighs when I politely ask if I can sit down!
Come on, who are the people who annoy you?

HUNTERF Tue 16-Apr-13 13:04:21

janthea

I know in London the police issued penalty tickets to cyclists who run red lights and ride on the pavement.
The only problem was somebody in the office I worked was chased for non payment of a penalty ticket.
At the time of the offence he was in New York on business and he did not ride a bike.
It would be best if police took photographs of the riders when the tickets are issued.

Frank

janthea Tue 16-Apr-13 13:11:18

Frank - there is never a policeman around when this happens or they just ignore it. I think I've only seen a policeman chastise or fine a cyclist on about two occasions.

Galen Tue 16-Apr-13 13:19:43

Cold callers who disregard the TPS option and who phone just as you've sat down on the lavatory!

LullyDully Tue 16-Apr-13 14:01:49

DH who reminds me to do something I am about to do!!!

Who ever keeps phoning his phone offering him PPI 5 times a day.

People who don't slot their shopping trolley properly in the others.

And me quite often when I forget simple things.

york46 Tue 16-Apr-13 15:52:27

Drivers who don't appear to know what their indicators are for.
People (usually men!!) who use oversized umbrellas on small, crowded pavements.
Motorists who fill up at the petrol station and then proceed to do a the equivalent of a week's shopping in the kiosk before paying and going back to their car - meanwhile a large queue is building up waiting to reach the pumps!

bentley49 Tue 16-Apr-13 16:23:56

York46

People have the right to use any size umbrellas they want and people just have to get out of the way.
People also have the right to leave their car on a petrol pump while they do a years shopping if they want. The people behind them will just have to wait.

Gerry

gracesmum Tue 16-Apr-13 16:44:48

Rights involve responsibilities - I am not aware of the rights you mentioned being enshrined in any ethos I have ever heard of. You sound very angry today - hope I never end up behind you at a petrol pump - as I would probably have to leave without fuel I canlt imagine the owners of the petrol station would be too happy! And as for umbrellas, as I am quite small - watch out for your eyes grin

gracesmum Tue 16-Apr-13 16:45:26

The "I'm all right Jack" fraternity annoy me intensely.

Elegran Tue 16-Apr-13 16:47:02

Do I have a right to stand in the road for five minutes chatting to friends while motorists can't drive past me?

I ask that because I waited for a motorist to return to his car, which was parked half onto a narrow pavement so that someone with a pram and a toddler had to walk in the road to get round it. His reply when I pointed this out, politely, to him. "I was only five f***ing minutes."

gracesmum Tue 16-Apr-13 16:53:23

Oh Elegran I would have loved to say "It actually took you that long then ?" gringrin

Elegran Tue 16-Apr-13 16:58:12

I thought of a whole lot of suitable (and unsuitable) answers later, but he drove off so I did not have time to get any answer in. If the woman with the pram had waited with me, as I suggested, we could have stood one in front of his car and one behind, quite legally on "our" pavement, and kept him waiting as long as we had to wait. I don't think she wanted a confrontation, so she just pushed her baby out into the road, with a toddler clinging to her hand.

gracesmum Tue 16-Apr-13 17:00:59

What an a*****le! It is scary enough even on a pavement with tinies (and dogs), and I often have to walk round cars when I am out with Grace, fortunately there is next to no traffic in the village, but I still resent it.

absent Tue 16-Apr-13 17:03:31

Elegran You might have been in a legally correct position but if the b*****r had started nudging his car forwards or backwards, you might have been in quite a precarious position. Some car drivers have a visceral contempt for pedestrians. (I hope their legs drop off.)

kittylester Tue 16-Apr-13 17:13:39

I keep a supply of A4 size notes in my glove compartment telling drivers off for parking half on the pavement. I leave the notes under the wipers of the offending car. It really gets my goat - should have had that in my post too.

Nanban Tue 16-Apr-13 17:21:19

Now that's annoying, my message is floating around in the ether somewhere.

I admitted to leaving Spike's poo bag occasionally - he will poo first thing and if I get distracted and go back a different way I forget. I apologize particularly to Bourton Bradstock last weekend. I unashamedly drive a large 4.4, with consequent parking issues. I leave my shopping trolley in the nearest available space on the premise that some poor soul is paid to collect them up and if we were all good people he would be jobless. I have no problems with street preachers, or door knockers - if they want to indulge in a complete waste of time activity, let them.

In fact an all round very, very bad person but can't be helped.

And this second version isn't nearly as good as I remember the first.

annodomini Tue 16-Apr-13 17:22:17

The half-on-the-pavement thing happens a lot on the road where I live. Cars park all the way down my side where the pavement is very narrow and in shocking condition. There are lots of people coming up and down with mobility scooters and mums with buggies who have to negotiate the parkers. Occasionally we see a PCSO taking an interest. Not often enough.

kittylester Tue 16-Apr-13 17:28:32

Shall I send you some of my notices anno? The downside is, of course, that you have to make a quick get-away just in case the driver catches you doing the deed. grin

gracesmum Tue 16-Apr-13 17:34:59

It would be even better if they were sticky-backed so that you could position them on the windscreen at just the place to shall we say, impede the vision of the dirver so he couldn't drive away?

nanaej Tue 16-Apr-13 18:00:12

Pontificators! People who have little or no experience of something but spout forth as if they did!

matson Tue 16-Apr-13 18:34:37

people who spit in the street! I saw an older lady do this last week and I was gobsmacked,

Steffers Tue 16-Apr-13 19:23:07

People who walk their dogs off a lead and do not have them under control............it's ok to say he is friendly and he just wants to play our very scared rescue dog does'nt know that..........she reacts by showing her teeth but just because she sees the others as a threat when she has been properly intoduced she is fine still wary but will happily walk along with the others So folk please realise some dogs just need their own space...........thatnkyou for letting me add this

ps Tue 16-Apr-13 21:02:05

Where do I start -
CLOCS - Centre lane owners club members who have forgotten that there is only one driving lane on UK motorway's the other two or three are overtaking lanes. The only exception being when variable speed limits are imposed.
Parents who, ad nauseam, tell their offspring not to do that because it is naughty whilst said offspring totally ignores them and joyfully continues being naughty in the knowledge that it can and therefore will.
Dog fouling on public rights of way, on pavements approaching primary schools or in public spaces and on beaches.
Infidelity and those who boast of it.
Intollerance of children and senior citizens.

Nonu Tue 16-Apr-13 21:07:06

Ps sorry , I am slightly lost about CLOCS ?

Bags Tue 16-Apr-13 21:16:19

kitty, I used to carry small notices which were dry but had a lickable sticky side like old stamps. They were about 4cm x 3cm and said: "Pavements are for pedestrians". Very easy to whip out of your pocket, lick, or wipe on a damp hedge and then slap on a car window, mirror, door, bonnet, etc. as you casually walked past. Don't know if they did any good but at least one felt one was trying to educate the toerags.

GrannyGear Tue 16-Apr-13 21:38:38

People who use a car for relatively short journeys when they could easily walk or cycle and then complain about other drivers going too slowly on country lanes.