Gransnet forums

AIBU

Turning 70!!

(73 Posts)
JammieB Thu 18-Apr-13 20:54:40

AIBU to be absolutely freaking out about being on the verge of this HUGE (in my mind) number!
I don't want a party, I would rather nobody even mentioned it!! Maybe it is to do with the three score and ten analogy - or the fact that my Mother died in her early 70's - or maybe something else - trouble is I don't know WHAT the problem is, I feel tearful at even having to write this!
I know I don't LOOK 70 - not particularly wrinkled, bit soggy around the middle but long legs and a bum that stays up, perky boobs thanks to a double mastectomy reconstruction - it's just that I feel I'm NOW being labelled against my will, just had to reapply for my driving licence to enable me to zap around the countryside in my convertible!! - that sucks!!!
Comments please??

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 15:31:06

Nah - that's tomorrow Grannylin

numberplease Fri 19-Apr-13 15:41:21

Well, I`ll be 70 in a few weeks time, not looking forward to it, even less so when various sons and daughters keep saying "How old this year Mum?", when they are perfectly well aware of how old I`ll be! Eldest son keeps looking down onto my head and saying it`s time I got my hair coloured again, then youngest son says why don`t I just let it stay grey and grow old gracefully.

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 15:45:58

My son is dead set against my colouring my hair. He just buys me calcium tablets the size of little boulders to swallow,and vitamin d, and tells me to exercise. hmm

Galen Fri 19-Apr-13 16:07:42

I staying white! I like it!

Movedalot Fri 19-Apr-13 17:00:10

I'm sorry that some of you dread being 70, it is a shame to feel like that but we cannot help the way we feel. flowers for all who need them.

DH will be 70 this year and he doesn't seem a bit bothered by it but he has been getting healthier and healthier since he retired so I suspect he thinks it will continue.

Our DSs seem to think we will go on forever. If I mention where the wills are or how we would like to be disposed of when the time comes they are just not the least bit interested, as if they don't think it will happen.

annodomini Fri 19-Apr-13 17:42:01

I celebrated being 70 with a lot of friends around the same age as well as they younger generations. Every time a birthday comes round, I'm quite relieved to have survived another year!

Greatnan Fri 19-Apr-13 18:18:40

Jingle, I can do much more now than I could at 50, when I drove everywhere. I certainly couldn't have climbed 600' up the ski slopes then and now I don't even get out of breath.

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:57:05

Yes well, we all know about you. hmm wink

OK - you're amazing! envy

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:57:51

I think I've got muscle loss. Don't think it's my bones.

Nonu Fri 19-Apr-13 19:06:07

Jo , Jo leave her be .

lots of [grins]

celebgran Fri 19-Apr-13 19:39:31

Well at 58 I git the big 60 next year. However Jamie b age is just a no.

I know ladies at acquacise who turned 70 last year 2 and they live life to full one a widow just come back from Australia visiting son and grandkids.
Other lady globe trotting this year she been Cuba arctic and just returned from Egypt excellent!

Can understand 70. Is milestone lost my dear mum at that age and dad at only 60 none of us know how long live each day to the full! Relax about it!

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:41:56

Aquacise would be good. I can't swim though. Have tried. Just can't get the knack of it. sad

celebgran Fri 19-Apr-13 19:54:40

Well at 58 I git the big 60 next year. However Jamie b age is just a no.

I know ladies at acquacise who turned 70 last year 2 and they live life to full one a widow just come back from Australia visiting son and grandkids.
Other lady globe trotting this year she been Cuba arctic and just returned from Egypt excellent!

Can understand 70. Is milestone lost my dear mum at that age and dad at only 60 none of us know how long live each day to the full! Relax about it!

Gally Fri 19-Apr-13 19:55:59

Jingle I don' think you have to be able to swim to do an aquacise class - just be able to stand up in water up to your chest without falling over and drowning grin

celebgran Fri 19-Apr-13 19:57:07

Well for some reason that went twice! Jo8 you can do acquacise. In shallow. End if cant swim!

celebgran Fri 19-Apr-13 19:58:20

Obviously easier if can swim! But some in our classes stay in shallow end

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:59:23

Yes well, it's the drowning bit that worries me. It would have to up to your neck wouldn't it? To support your limbs. Or something.

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:00:21

Are you allowed to wear armbands? I can swim with armbands on.

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:00:42

Or a rubber ring.

Greatnan Fri 19-Apr-13 20:07:54

Thank you for your support, Nonu! However, I don't really take much notice of jingle's little nasy digs - I am used to them. grin

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:32:51

confused That was not a dig, nasty or otherwise. I would have thought that would have been quite clear.

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:33:38

Did you not see the wink? Or the envy?

Or choose now to ignore them?

rozzo55 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:34:51

I had a great year celebrating at different times with different groups of friends & relations. Activities included a canal boat trip, a sculpture walk, time by the sea & an art therapy session. And now, if you're feeling like a poor old soul, thanks to Gransnet you can enter a competition for a Royal Weekend with Horlicks! My cup runneth over!!

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:36:27

Oh good. smile

annodomini Fri 19-Apr-13 21:01:00

If you're upset about being 70, just think about the alternative. sad